S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Light restoration journal of my S2a  (Read 1094 times)

rivarama

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7235
  • .:
Light restoration journal of my S2a
« on: May 22, 2021, 06:27:24 PM »

Hi guys,
So I picked my 2nd S2a, but this one will need some work. So I have quite a lot of technical advise to ask… not sure whether this thread is better suited to the tech wisdom section.

I am fairly inexperienced, I don’t own a ton of tools, but I own a workshop manual and have a strong will to learn to make up for it.

rivarama

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
Re: Light restoration journal of my S2a
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 06:39:51 PM »

I should have reminded everyone that the car went through a restoration 10years ago when the previous owner bought it. However he never used the car and it sat in a heat controlled shed alongside an impressive car collection.

Although it’s in good condition, lots of things will need sorting due to lack of use.

rivarama

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 07:05:51 PM »

So here is the first question.

The radiator is leaking. A friend of mine recommend i use a sealant such as K-Seal or Wondarweld, but it feels to me like a short term fix. I am scared this sealant eventually finds its way to the engine and leads to a head gasket failure.

Alternatively, I see paddock sells a rad for £120… this is much cheaper than anticipated. Has anyone tried them and can recommend it? Or an alternative.

Thank you

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 07:13:15 PM »

I always look on the likes of K seal as a quick fix to get home.  The problem with it is the cooling system will need a thorough clean when the problem is sorted properly.  Either buy a new rad or get yours recored.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 10:50:04 PM »

I'm running a cheap paddocks/britpart  radiator.

Seems fine after 6 months.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 08:50:56 AM »

Hi guys,
So I picked my 2nd S2a, but this one will need some work. So I have quite a lot of technical advise to ask… not sure whether this thread is better suited to the tech wisdom section.
It rather depends on what you want.
If you are going for technical advice as situations arise then I'd suggest posting mainly in Workshop Wisdom; very possibly that's where you will be searching for information before posting. You may see it as a disadvantage that you will have to remind people everytime of the basic facts of your vehicle such as year built, engine size etc, perhaps also 'the car went through a restoration 10 years ago when the previous owner bought it. However he never used the car and it sat in a heat controlled shed ...
Although it’s in good condition, lots of things need sorting due to lack of use.'

An alternative, especially if you want a record of your progress, is to start a thread of your own. In the first post give the basic information as I've outlined above (perhaps including chassis and other numbers).
An example is seen in the '64 Carmichael post. That is in Historical Information, as it's an unusual vehicle. There is a sub-section 'Your Restorations', which seems appropriate for your project. People will tend to follow this, as they enjoy reading someones progress.

You may have to put some questions into Workshop Wisdom (it probably has the highest visitor numbers), but you can always link back to your restoration thread so people can get a background if you wish.

Be aware of the risk, the Forum does NOT guarantee your posts and pictures will be available for all time, so if you want a record under your control you will have to copy / paste entries onto your own PC, Cloud storage, etc.

Regards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.