S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 position rotary switch with push action - where can I get one?  (Read 2473 times)

Peaceand

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
4 position rotary switch with push action - where can I get one?
« on: September 30, 2019, 05:16:57 PM »

My (series 3) Carawagon windscreen wipers are currently controlled by a rotary switch on the dash. Rotate clockwise and wipers are on, anticlockwise they are off, and push to spray the washer jets.

I'd like to get intermittent windscreen wipers on there, and while I'm at it wire up the rear wiper as well, which has never been connected.

What I'm looking for is a 4 position rotary switch to control it all, with a push/pull action as well. So it would be...

Position 1 - rear wiper
Position 2 - off
Position 3 - intermittent wipe
Position 4 - full speed wipe
Push/pull  - washer jets.

Does anybody know where I can find such a switch? Ideally one that won't look too much out of place on the relatively standard dashboard.

More positions would be fine, but I think I need at least 4 (including off) to make it work as planned.

Thanks,
Patrick

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: 4 position rotary switch with push action - where can I get one?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 05:26:27 PM »

... do you mean something like THIS ???

:window

Who's a then ?

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 07:28:27 PM »

Do you have a Lucas 14W motor? If so, you need to be aware of how the switch shorts the motor windings  when you turn it off, which is what stops it dead.

I have a switch from a P6 Rover saloon that gives intermittent-off-slow-fast, which was a middling faff to fit as it needed its central hexagon shaft swapping and it uses smaller lucar terminals than the Land-Rover one.

You could definitely wire a rotary switch to do as you want, but you might well have to relay some functions. A dedicated wiper switch with push to wash is unlikely to be suitable for switching two separate motors without some creative wiring.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

Peaceand

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 07:22:56 AM »

... do you mean something like THIS ???

Something like those yes, but ideally with 4 positions so I can trigger the rear too - which is a very simple wiper with no park. I already have https://www.holden.co.uk/p/rotary-switch-1 fitted, just needs an extra two positions. Though as the 3 position switch on there is £85, a four position may be a bit beyond the budget for this little job.

Thanks for the shorting warning, the series 3 wiper is self parking so I am hoping to be able to get away with a straight swap in terms of the contacts on the switch - then put one though a delay relay to get the intermittent wipe. I've not had the cover off to check what motor is in there yet but it should be standard. And the rear wiper is one of those orange bodied 70s aftermarket jobs, it just goes constantly while it has 12v and doesn't park.

davep10000

• Chassis welder
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 08:22:21 PM »

Not very LR-esque, but VW's etc have a 4 position light switch with a pull function for fog lights.
With some considered wiring, and maybe relays, it might be worth a try?
Many variants, but similar to this...

auction: #163743022285

Gertie

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3798
  • .:
  • 1969 109" SW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 08:46:30 PM »

For me, in winter, the intermittent wiper is up there with heated windscreens as a mod.  But must confess, I am low on the learning curve for auto electrics so I burnt a few fuses in getting it to work.

I fitted this on an aux panel. https://quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/quasar-kit-8093-intermittent-windscreen-wiper-controller

I have a standard 3 position lucas 2 speed toggle wiper switch (off, on. intermittent).

The wiring had me head scratching given I was burning fuses in setting this up which I eventually put down to (lots of goooooogle) the magnetic fields in the intermittent relays feeding back which seemed to be resolved by using the output from the intermittent PCB relay to power another diode type relay  to power the motor.  If you think this is fuzzy - it is, it was a few years ago and as I said, auto electrics makes me scratch my head at times - whoever heard of collapsing magnetic fields causing problems with a Series 2 Land Rover?  :stars 

But it works, retains the period switching, aside from a rotary dial on an aux panel to vary the intermittent wipe and saves the passenger being a wiper slave for a journey.

Intermittent wipe and heated windscreens make winter driving less of a chore and a TD5 type clutch pedal with over centre spring saves your knees.  All worth doing in my book and reversible for a future purist owner.

Paul

Serious Series

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6655
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 05:47:27 PM »

I have a VW relay number 99 for my intermittent wipe on a series 3 but use a seperate switch to put it on.
If you switch it on then off and back on it will wipe at the interval between the two ons up to 30 secs from memory.
Can create a drawing if interested.

Peaceand

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 02:14:39 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep an eye out for a perfect switch I think - the VW one does look like it has all the functions but making it fit and look vaguely period would be more trouble than it's worth.

The relays and electronics all look tempting, but would still require that extra switch/dial which I'm trying to avoid. Thank you for the ideas though, if I end up going that route I'll refer back to this post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.