S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steve Parker exhaust systems  (Read 1271 times)

Kev-Lar

• Chassis welder
  • .:
Steve Parker exhaust systems
« on: June 11, 2021, 09:27:29 PM »

Hi, does anyone on here have any recent experience of Steve Parker exhausts, wether they’re any good, worth the money or a complete waste of time. Can’t seem to find any recent reviews but have read very mixed opinions from a few years back.

K

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
Re: Steve Parker exhaust systems
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 05:08:51 PM »

Hi Kev,  Probably not recent enough, nor applicable, I'm going to tell it anyway!  :thud

I bought a Parker system for a 200tdi in a 109 conversion. I had to add 1.5" and  rebend some pipes to get it to fit. If I live in the UK I'd of sent it back. I think a local exhaust shop can/should do a good job.

in my blog; https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/7350393626186023720/9025538948934426622

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 11:16:56 AM »

for a 109 tdi conversion I have used the standard 6 pot exhaust (with a blue label) and the steve parker front pipe (on the 300 turbo on the 200 tdi) 
Bit of fabrication needed to join them, but works out well
"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 05:26:19 PM »

Hi,

Probably irrelevant in Land Rover context

http://www.mezporting.com/exhaust_length.html

My understanding is that cylinders 1 & 4, and 2 & 3, should be linked together, then (1+4) and (2+3) should be linked together giving you a single pipe.  The difficult bit is giving all cylinders the same distance between the exhaust valves, and the tip of the tail-pipe.

The next bit is working out the exact length of the exhaust to give maximum power at your preferred RPM.

And then you can start calculating the corresponding length of the induction system.

My understanding is that "trumpets" give little benefit. I think it was Bristol that experimented with forward facing trumpets, to act as some sort of supercharger. They found there ws little benefit below 140mph.

Way back in the 1950s, people noticed that a successful bike racer had two holes drilled it the trumpet on his bike's carburettor. He obviously knew what he was doing, so they copied him ... and found no advantage. The instigator eventually revealed that the holes were for a tommy bar ... to tighten the trumpet onto the carb.  :thud

stuart

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5066
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 06:59:27 PM »

i have one on my tdi , its been fitted 5 years no issues ,

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 10:25:57 PM »

I fitted one when I converted my 109” to Tdi in 2007.

It pretty much went straight on, although it follows the Series 3 route and needs to go through holes that aren’t there on a Series 2 109” chassis, so bear that in mind.

The important bits, the front two pipes, have lasted well, but needed patching last year. The rear box is a standard 109” V8 item and I’m on my third one of those.

Good points:

It was relatively cheap. Replacement rear boxes are very cheap. It’s lasted pretty well for a mild steel system. It saved me loads of time towards the end of my conversion project, and pretty much bolted straight on.

Bad points:

It’s for a series 3, so not a straight bolt up on a 2/2A; although they may offer a different system now. The route follows Land-Rover’s somewhat tortuous path around crossmembers etc that’s tight enough with the standard system and it’s tricky getting the bigger bore one mounted so that it doesn’t rattle on anything. It does have a finite life, particularly if it uses a generic rear silencer like mine. The bigger clamps needed to mount it aren’t freely available, and are just enlarged copies of the standard crude Land-Rover ones. It would be much better if it was hung on decent shock absorbing modern style bobbins.

Would I buy another? Possibly. I’m going to need to replace mine soon, and if I can afford a bespoke stainless one then I’ll pay the extra money and get one of those.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 01:02:31 PM »

I'm on my third. The vehicle has a mild steel one on when I got it, I fitted a second system, and finally replaced it with one of their stainless systems a couple of years ago now. Wish I had bit the bullet sooner.

The mild steel systems (they try and big them up as 'aluminised steel' which just means a silicone enamel high temp paint...) are expensive for what they are in my opinion, but most of the cost seems to be in the (labour intensive) downpipe section which is made from lots of little bits welded together. The rear sections including the tailpipe aren't too pricey. I wasn't too impressed with how quick they fell apart, but the vehicle gets used a lot and rarely washed...

I do, however, like the design and the fact they are local to me and I can get bits off the shelf. It's a decent bore, is mounted largely well up out of harms way and doesn't sound like a chav's Corsa like many systems (usually people just cobble something together and don't bother with a silencer because 'the turbo silences it'... no thanks!). The fit of mine have all been good. It is tight where it goes over the gearbox mount but the olive/air ministry style joints make it so easy to adjust and get it to sit just where you want and avoid rattling.

Very happy with my stainless one now. I agree about the hangers, they rust away for fun so I usually have a couple on the shelf. A couple I have replaced with cheap U clamps or similar as they last a lot longer and are far cheaper. The only other thing is the usual bug bear with stainless systems - mild steel flanges! The pipe itself is a good grade and is still very shiny under all the grime - in contrast the 'stainless' Double S system on the Carawagon looks like a 30 year old mild steel... awful.

So in general, the design is good, the fit is good. But they are pricey (especially the mild steel one IMO). I'd definitely buy another.

Oh, mine is a Disco 200 in a S3 by the way.

:first
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.