S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving Licence  (Read 2570 times)

ZebraDriver

• Chassis welder
Driving Licence
« on: June 12, 2021, 06:50:03 PM »

Just a warning. The DVLA are no longer sending out letters to remind you that your driving licence is expiring. Just checked and it turns out that both me and the Mrs have been driving around with expired licences since January. The plod can charge you with driving without a licence, check yours NOW.

ZD

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Re: Driving Licence
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 07:33:57 PM »

A bit of good news for some...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/expired-driving-licences-automatically-extended-by-11-months

Licenses that should have expired between 1st Feb 20 and 31 Dec 20 were automatically extended for 11 months in response to Covid-19.

....and thanks for the reminder, mine expires next Jan. I'd forgotten that it needs renewed every 10 years with an updated photo. The note 4b on the card is not exactly helpful, they could write "Expiry" just as easily...

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 09:13:02 PM »

Was by chance the other month i spotted mine runs out in November this year.
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 06:32:24 AM »

Hi,

To my mind, a till 70 licence expires of your 70th birthday. Provisional and "disabled" licences, I think, are different. (I retired nearly 40 years ago, so don't rely on my memory.

"Medical" licences might be short term, to ensure that you remain fit to drive. DVLA will pay for any medical report that they require.

From my "off peak" memory cells, provisional motor-cycle entitlement was limited to encourage you to take your test. But I can't remember if that applied if you had already passed a car test.

Check your insurance certificate (not the policy). It used to say that you were insured provided that you HOLD a licence, or HAD HELD a licence, and were NOT DISQUALIFIED. I have memories of reading somewhere, (in the1970s) that MEDICAL DEBARMENT was not the same as DISQUALIFICATION by a court. However, your insurers may go all po-faced if you make a claim, and your licence has expired.. I think they are required to pay THIRD PARTY claims, but they might be reluctant to pay for damages to YOUR "Bandersnatch 90 GT".  Your INSURANCE CERTIFICATE covers third Party claims. Your INSURANCE POLICY details their contract with you.

Er .. please do your own researches on the above. I retired 36 years ago, so my knowledge may be out of date. Read the small print on both your driving licence and insurance policy.

I regard driving with an expired licence to be a fairly minor offence ... but you will still get "points". Memory says that "Refusing to take an eye test" was worth one penalty point, and "No insurance" was worth six points.

Me? One speeding ticket, in 1964. 40 MPH over the limit. Pleaded NOT GUILTY. Fined £2, and the Beaks apologised for having to endorse my licence.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 06:48:12 AM »

Hi,

A quick Google found this ...

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/driving-without-a-licence.html

But note that if you have never held a licence, you won't be insured. In my formative years, using a motor vehicle without insurance meant a 12 moth ban. Driving while disqualified (by a court) would earn you six months "inside". It concentrated the mind.

Having your car up on bricks, without wheels, counts as "using". There is something in my mind about "towing a motor vehicle to a place where it will be broken up, by prior arrangement" not requiring insurance.   ???  Presumably, if you don't get caught, you can change your mind.  >:( :whistle

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 07:50:40 AM »

Just a warning. The DVLA are no longer sending out letters to remind you that your driving licence is expiring. Just checked and it turns out that both me and the Mrs have been driving around with expired licences since January. The plod can charge you with driving without a licence, check yours NOW.

ZD

Thanks for the reminder ZD , I just checked and my Category C expires May 22 so although I’ve never used it I need to decide whether to renew . My other categories are ok until 2028

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 11:13:07 AM »

Hi,

To my mind, a till 70 licence expires of your 70th birthday. Provisional and "disabled" licences, I think, are different. (I retired nearly 40 years ago, so don't rely on my memory.

Yep, its the actual card that expires every 10 years, needs a new photo. https://www.gov.uk/renew-photo-driving-licence

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 05:55:41 PM »

Yep, its the actual card that expires every 10 years, needs a new photo. https://www.gov.uk/renew-photo-driving-licence

Hi Gene,

Did I know that? here is something, but certainly not at the front of my memory banks. Academic, as I tend to move house more often than that. There is also something in my mind that the photocard is NOT your licence. DISCUSS.

Also something in my mind that a photo-card does not need to be renewed when you are over 70 (all else being equal), although the paper part must be renewed (FREE) every three years once you are 70.  I think Alexa agrees.

I also asked Alexa the cost of a replacement driving licence, in order to remove endorsements. She pleaded ignorance. I find it often helps if you can package removal of endorsements with a change of address,, or some other FREE replacement.

I think DVLA will make a profit out of renewing your licence after disqualification.

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 07:34:37 PM »

As far as I know there isn’t a paper part anymore

alan87

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6531
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 08:34:37 PM »

My license runs out at the end of July, which I wouldn’t have known but for the letter that I received last week from DVLA.  Maybe the letters are a bit hit and miss!

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 10:18:26 PM »

As far as I know there isn’t a paper part anymore

Hi Betsy'69,

Now you mention it ... your probably right.

When did that un-happen?

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 10:44:31 AM »

Yes, there is no paper license with the photocard anymore. There was too much confusion over which part needed to be carried, presented etc. It is now just the plastic card. They gave up the paper part in June 2015

If you still have the pre-photo paper license that is still legal however and doesn't need to be replaced with a photo license unless any details on it change such as address, points, gender etc....
I was very happy with my paper license that was stuck together with sticky tape for years, always gave the hire car companies in Geneva a laugh when I presented it and they had to carefully peel it open and place it on the photocopier!

As stated the photo license expires every ten years as appearances can change in that time. You need to pay £20 for a replacement but if you change your address or change your name, the new license is free.
The DVLA website still says you will receive a reminder letter before the expiration date?

I have until 2028 before I need to worry about a new one.

One last thing. I just did a Google search for a "driving license renewal" and the first match is one of these (scam) companies that you fill all your details in, they charge you more for the privilege of it then they forward the application to the right place and pocket the profit and probably keep your details on file somewhere! If you need to renew and do it on the webpage, make sure you are on the genuine gov.uk website.

Craig.

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 01:33:12 PM »

If one does need to renew make sure you keep all your entitlements. I think it is better than it was but people have had to take a new test in the past due to DVLA " loosing"  motorcycle entitlements on renewals .

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 04:09:22 PM »

I think it is better than it was but people have had to take a new test in the past due to DVLA " loosing"  motorcycle entitlements on renewals .

Hi,

That is true. It's been true since the Driver System "went live" in the early 1970s. It was never explained while I was there (1972 to 1984). I did a lot of unauthorised searches, but was never in a position to justify researching that particular problem. Was it down to a malicious clerk? (Possible, but not probable.)  Was it down to an error identified by a lazy clerk, who "corrected" it without checking the whole document ... guessed what you entitlement is.

I asked Barbara, and she came up with a possible answer. But is it probable? Er ... I'd hate to answer that question. Leave it with me, and I will see what I can find out, by devious means ... starting with Google.

Not exactly what Barbara said, but heading that way ... remember I retired in 1985, and Barbara retired 2002.

https://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/23345-uk-drivers-beware-when-renewing-your-licence-at-70yrs/[/i]

Would anybody like to precis the relevant bits?

I haven't worked out if BIKES are deleted automatically at 70 .or if they are deleted if you don't ask to retain them. ???

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 04:38:59 PM »

They should bring back the little red book ...

:first
Who's a then ?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.