S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do with your Series 2s today ...  (Read 11898 times)

Tim_Moore

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7294
  • .:
Re: What did you do with your Series 2s today ...
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2021, 11:36:26 AM »

managed to replace 1 shock absorber before the heavens opened up and i was seeking refuge under the car hiding from the deluge of rain.... hopefully tonight i can get the remaining 3 done  :-X

Daisythelandy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5411
  • .:
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2021, 09:34:21 PM »

Used the Landie to go to the railway club which is in Glasgow, enjoyed the drive and it ran well keeping up with the traffic. Saw a stupid cyclist in the bike lane texting on a phone so no hands on the handlebars, what an ijit. :thud

Dave
Dave and Daisy the 66 Landie.
Over 30 years of ownership and still smiling..

Ndrwdz

• Shop Manager
  • S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3755
  • .:
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2021, 10:53:06 PM »

I changed the brake light switch and after 24 hours with the brake pedal jammed down there doesn't seem to be any air in the system.

Now I have a spare switch.

Andrew
[ºº]O O[ºº]

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2021, 01:01:55 PM »

Off to the Sawmill for fence stobs.  I'd rather have been heading to the Rally :-(

A proper old-school sawmill, making stuff from actual trees on the premises...

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Gareth

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6172
  • .:
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2021, 09:20:28 PM »

Well, what did I do with my S2a today? I sold it! Now just have my trusty 109 left.  :cheers

g6anz

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1690
  • .:
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2021, 04:19:54 PM »

I have spent the day putting a (single) gaiter on the off side. Point 1, double lacing can be done without fitting it, put it on the axle and it's a whole different ball game. I finally got it laced up and tight. It looks a bit wrong but it seems to hold the leather together. When I started to fit it to the housing I remembered that people had said to put the lacing at the 10'o clock position. Point 2, this is impossible. I had the Britpart gaiters and the mounting holes are punched so as to put the lacing at the bottom. It has to be at the bottom as the bolt holes are not equidistantly spaced, there being a wider gap across the bottom pair that the rest of the holes. It's now on and all I need to do is tidy up the trailing cord and make sure that it won't come undone.
It did have them fitted when I bought it but they finally disintegrated and underneath the remnants of leather and road gunge the swivels were in excellent condition and I hope that the new gaiters will keep them that way

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2021, 04:25:35 PM »

I created a story board ready to take the 6 pot to Gaydon on Saturday.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2021, 05:26:45 PM »

I spent the day repairing Fences to try to stop the beasties from wandering off to visit the neighbours... after a phone call last Sat evening to say they were a mile or more away from home.

New posts ready to go in beside the old ones, which look OK but are all broken, held up only by the wire.

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2021, 09:53:16 PM »

Looks nice and sunny in the Trossacks!

I have to confess this picture is from a few days ago but I have had some IT issues and been busy with other things. This is towards the end of a very hot run from Aviemore to somewhere southwest of Oban, non-stop through Spean Bridge, Fort William and just a brief stop in Oban to stock up with essentials. I had two teenage girl passengers (daughter and friend) to keep me company with gossip, and keep me supplied with snacks. I was originally thinking of doing this trip roofless but to be honest it was so sunny, we would have been burnt to a crisp, so the shade of the roof was quite nice. Plus, the gear in the back was piled up over the top of the tub in a right mess so the security of the roof was quite nice to have. Here we are stopping on a final little side trip to Easdale (which I had last visited in ?1996?),  which is over the "Bridge across the Atlantic" to the island of Seil, for a swim in the sea to cool down in the late afternoon. Islands of Luing (near left), Lunga (right), and Scarba (middle far distance).
Andrew

George P

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6803
  • .:
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2021, 08:59:05 AM »

Looks nice and sunny in the Trossacks!

I have to confess this picture is from a few days ago but I have had some IT issues and been busy with other things. This is towards the end of a very hot run from Aviemore to somewhere southwest of Oban, non-stop through Spean Bridge, Fort William and just a brief stop in Oban to stock up with essentials. I had two teenage girl passengers (daughter and friend) to keep me company with gossip, and keep me supplied with snacks. I was originally thinking of doing this trip roofless but to be honest it was so sunny, we would have been burnt to a crisp, so the shade of the roof was quite nice. Plus, the gear in the back was piled up over the top of the tub in a right mess so the security of the roof was quite nice to have. Here we are stopping on a final little side trip to Easdale (which I had last visited in ?1996?),  which is over the "Bridge across the Atlantic" to the island of Seil, for a swim in the sea to cool down in the late afternoon. Islands of Luing (near left), Lunga (right), and Scarba (middle far distance).

Lovely Andrew, it's such a gorgeous part of the country. I'm looking forward to getting out there in my LR when its done!

George

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2021, 07:34:22 PM »

This evenings game is replacing the vent seal rubbers. I recovered a good, new looking, set from a wreck in the scrap-yard a while back, finally got around to fitting them. A mucky job scraping the old ones out together with the over-paint along the edges, fun too tapping long static split pins out to release the covers. Then a squirt of black Sika-Flex, snurgle the seal over the cover, to avoid having to unbolt it from the closing lever, grease and re-insert the split pins and start the clamping down procedure. Without too much effort I've got the vents closed to within 1 notch of fully shut. I think if there were two of us on the job and with someone outside pushing I could get it fully home. I'm not sure who the maker is, as above they came out of a scrapper.... but there must be some-one making nice soft rubber vent seals out there.   

oddjob

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 2153
  • .:
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2021, 07:03:20 AM »

Got the Land Rover filled by a pump attendant. It is a long time since that happened to it in the UK.

We’re all here because we’re not all there.

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2021, 10:46:37 AM »

I have spent the day putting a (single) gaiter on the off side. Point 1, double lacing can be done without fitting it, put it on the axle and it's a whole different ball game. I finally got it laced up and tight. It looks a bit wrong but it seems to hold the leather together. When I started to fit it to the housing I remembered that people had said to put the lacing at the 10'o clock position. Point 2, this is impossible. I had the Britpart gaiters and the mounting holes are punched so as to put the lacing at the bottom. It has to be at the bottom as the bolt holes are not equidistantly spaced, there being a wider gap across the bottom pair that the rest of the holes. It's now on and all I need to do is tidy up the trailing cord and make sure that it won't come undone.
It did have them fitted when I bought it but they finally disintegrated and underneath the remnants of leather and road gunge the swivels were in excellent condition and I hope that the new gaiters will keep them that way
All the gaiters have the holes punched for the lacing at the bottom, as I  pointed out to Rover  back in the late 60's . I was advised that when   the company found the lacing caught on undergrowth &  ripped off,  they changed the instructions for lacing to be at the top rear. The gaiter holes were never changed as with a bit of stretching and squashing ,  and the leather impregnated with Vaseline,  they can be made to fit as recommended. I always thought it a bit of a fudge but it seems to work .

g6anz

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1690
  • .:
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2021, 06:17:06 PM »

Well mine are staying at the bottom   :-X . They're a bit(a lot) uneven but I think they'll work. Perhaps the nearside will be a bit easier as I have had practise.
I did think about lacing the gaiter very loosely off the axle and then slipping it, laced, over the brake drum then tightening the lacing to fit. But I don't think it can be made loose enough.

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2021, 08:31:02 PM »

Decided to install a fire extinguisher. So that got fitted also noticed rusty patches on the ribs in the rear tub. So wire brushed them coat of rust convertor stuff and then a coat of paint. Once dry rubber mat will be back on. Also the wooden box covering the gas tank got a coat of paint too. Engine bay got a squiting of degreaser and a scrub with a brush. Then used a steam cleaner on it.
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 22 queries.