S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing my UK Series 2 into France  (Read 2355 times)

rivarama

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7235
  • .:
Importing my UK Series 2 into France
« on: July 01, 2021, 05:29:45 PM »

Hi All,

As some of you know, I bought a second Land Rover series as I intend to keep it at my holiday home in France.

Unfortunately, the whole export process to Europe as become a mine field.
As one would expect the French administration is unreachable and unhelpful !!

From what I can tell from Google searches, in addition to all the documents needed, I would also be liable for VAT (20%) and duty (10%)… which makes the whole thing quite expensive.

I am wondering whether anyone has ever gone through that process and could provide some guidance or know of a French LR owners club I could contact to ask those questions.

Thank you
Paul

chughes5

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5353
  • .:
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 05:46:53 PM »

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 06:32:48 PM »

have you joined "les temps des series" ?

Lots of info on their forum (mostly in french of course) and they have a facebook group
"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 06:38:15 PM »

.... and we have quite a few forum members based in France. I'm sure they'll offer some advice when they see this topic.

:cheers
Who's a then ?

rivarama

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 08:41:19 AM »

This process is a bit of a nightmare… I called the French customs and the administration in charge of issuing titles (French equivalent to V5)… none of them could give me a straight answer. I also called them later to double check and asked the same questions and got different answers ! Joy!!

I will keep digging and will revert back with more details, as it might help other owners who might want to bring their cars to Europe in the future.

What is clear is that I will need a certificate of conformity from Land Rover France.

I am hoping that given that the vehicle was manufactured when the UK was still part of Europe, and it’s over 25 y/o, I won’t have to make modifications to comply with the European regulations.

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 09:01:51 AM »

there are so many series owners in France who have gone through this
Parksy, on here, for one
As, mentioned earlier, le temps des series is the french series land rover forum. They will know

They also know how to run tdi and modified series in France - but I don't think it is as kosher as it should be, so don't ask them that !!

alchad

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6825
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 09:33:19 AM »

Good luck with the French bureaucracy - a friend moved to France earlier this year and is trying to get his Uk purchased Citroen registered over there. His forehead is getting very bruised hitting it against countless obstacles.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 09:45:14 AM »

Have things changed with regard to importing into France since BREXIT
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

rivarama

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 10:30:55 AM »

Good luck with the French bureaucracy - a friend moved to France earlier this year and is trying to get his Uk purchased Citroen registered over there. His forehead is getting very bruised hitting it against countless obstacles.

Would you mind PM’ing me his contact details so we can compare notes and find a way forward?
Thank you

Bonnet-rouge

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6807
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 01:51:09 PM »

I managed to register mine last year , takes a while but not that difficult i will dig out the paperwork and let you know whats needed , you will need to know if you want ordinary registration or classic car registration slight difference in whats required ..
The earth is flat …🌎

riedland

• Chassis welder
Re: Importing my UK Series 2 into France
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 06:26:57 PM »

Hi All,

As some of you know, I bought a second Land Rover series as I intend to keep it at my holiday home in France.

Unfortunately, the whole export process to Europe as become a mine field.
As one would expect the French administration is unreachable and unhelpful !!

From what I can tell from Google searches, in addition to all the documents needed, I would also be liable for VAT (20%) and duty (10%)… which makes the whole thing quite expensive.

I am wondering whether anyone has ever gone through that process and could provide some guidance or know of a French LR owners club I could contact to ask those questions.

Thank you
Paul

Hi Paul,
what do you mean by exporting to Europe? Does that means you simply can't travel to your holiday home and let the car there registered in the UK?
As it will stay definitely in France it has to be registered in France? For me there is no reason to pay VAT, it's your car, you drive it to France so no VAT to pay.
It's true french administration is a nightmare but your registration process should be easy, what you need to provide is:
- a tittle of property: the V5 at your name or the previous V5 + purchase proof (car bill of sale...)
- registration inquiry document Cerfa 13750*05
- home proof
- driving licence copy
- insurance document copy
- conformity certificate (for a car model sold in France, otherwise you have to go through the FFVE for a 101 for example)
- customs clearance document 846 A
- french MOT younger than 6 months
- that's all
Good luck,
Marc

rivarama

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 05:58:52 AM »

I managed to register mine last year , takes a while but not that difficult i will dig out the paperwork and let you know whats needed , you will need to know if you want ordinary registration or classic car registration slight difference in whats required ..
Thank you !

rivarama

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 06:09:03 AM »

Hi Paul,
what do you mean by exporting to Europe? Does that means you simply can't travel to your holiday home and let the car there registered in the UK?
As it will stay definitely in France it has to be registered in France? For me there is no reason to pay VAT, it's your car, you drive it to France so no VAT to pay.
It's true french administration is a nightmare but your registration process should be easy, what you need to provide is:
- a tittle of property: the V5 at your name or the previous V5 + purchase proof (car bill of sale...)
- registration inquiry document Cerfa 13750*05
- home proof
- driving licence copy
- insurance document copy
- conformity certificate (for a car model sold in France, otherwise you have to go through the FFVE for a 101 for example)
- customs clearance document 846 A
- french MOT younger than 6 months
- that's all
Good luck,
Marc

Hi Marc,
Although I can drive the car to France and leave it there on UK plates,  my UK insurance wouldn’t cover me after 6months, and no French insurance would cover me for more than 3 months on UK plate, as a temporary insurance until the car gets a French title.  So effectively, I would need to drive my car back to the UK every 9 months.
Not really the kind of rides I would like to undertake as the car will be left in the south of France.

As for the VAT, I would still have to pay 5.5% (instead of 20% as the car is over 25 y/o).

From speaking with the French customs, it seems that they need a certificate of conformity in order to clearing the vehicle and issuing the 846a form. Is that your understanding?

Thank you

vod80

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6312
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2021, 07:38:03 AM »

Hi Rivarama (beautiful boat, by the way!),

I can’t help with the details because I haven’t completed the process yet and I also started it before the UK left the EU…

I didn’t need a certificate of conformity for the payment of duties (dédouanement). For me, this was a pure « financial » action.

I guess the 5.5% are the duties payable, refuced because it is an older vehicle.

My understanding is that the 20% VAT will still need to be paid on the total sum. ( in fact, this is what happens with parcels from the UK - a tough one because we still have to pay UK VAT as well 😄)

I’m going through the registration process with the FFVE (Fédération Française des Vehicules d’Epoque) because it’s more or les impossible to get a certificate of conformity from Land Rover France for old vehicules. I have to say - this is what I was told, I didn’t try!

The FFVE used to be a soft touch and all sorts of wierd and wonderful things got through. They seem to be a lot more careful now - I’ve just done my 109 which was a relatively simple case of a lost logbook - it took over three months of to and fro.

So, sorry, no real details but I’ll help in anyway I can if you need it.

Cheers, Tony
Not getting anywhere, fast

Bonnet-rouge

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6807
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 08:51:09 AM »

This is how i did it , i used https://www.cartegrise-cafe.com they do all the administration work but first you will need all the necessary paperwork a visit to local centre des finances publques for a certificate D'acquistion (quitus fiscal) for that you'll need V5 and a reciept for car a hand written one will do , if your english m.o.t is more than six months that wii be accepted if less then a control technic is required . For the letter of conformity email  [email protected] that took about a month to arrive and around 200 euro's . You will need proof of address and copy of passport , that will get you normal registration if you want (voiture de collection) then contact FFVE on five.org for a certificate d'immatriculation vehicle de collection for that you'll need photos of car front back inside and one with the engine number that took about three weeks to arrive and around 60 euro's the cartegris cafe was around 220 euro's then there was the tax same as road tax but you only pay that once i paid around 150 euro's depends what engine you have , once you have all paperwork as i said i used cartegrise cafe but you can find others that do as well . once i dropped off all paperwork it was around five weeks to get registration .. Good luck.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.