S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slant to driver side  (Read 857 times)

Avalon

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7597
  • .:
Slant to driver side
« on: July 12, 2021, 10:37:25 PM »

This is on my LHD plowing rover.
I have just replaced the two rear springs with Brit Part springs that have identical part numbers.

The left side was lower and the main leaf was broken, so I felt it best to replace both.

The vehicle still has a lean to the left, driver side here.

I thought that by removing the right spring and having both the same the lean would go away.

When I replaced the springs, I didn't tightened the shackle bolts until I drove it back and forth a few times.

The difference from the top of the box is about 1 inch lower on the left side, when the vehicle is on a level concrete surface.

Any suggestions as to why it still leans?

John

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
Re: Slant to driver side
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 09:33:03 AM »

In my experience when a lean is perceived it can often be blamed on the rear springs, when actually it is the front springs that are out of balance. For example if your FL spring is too weak then the FL drops a bit, and the whole vehicle pivots around the FR-BL axis, and then the BR corner comes up, giving the impression of a lean to the left at the rear, when actually the problem is with the front spring balance. The same result could be obtained if the FR spring was too strong, or seized with rust etc... the FR would be up, vehicle pivots on FL-BR axis, and the BL end is pushed down. Again this results in a left-down lean at the rear.

I've had left-hand-down leans before and swapped rear springs to try and fix it and had no effect. But swapping front springs can reverse the effect, sometimes just giving you a lean the other way, or if you are lucky, fixing it.

I would inspect/clean your front springs.

It is possible to remove 1st/2nd leaves of front springs quite easily, with springs in situ, and the vehicle lean can be tweaked a little bit that way.

Alternatively there is a procedure on another thread recently about tweaking the ride height, but I never tried this one myself...
https://www.series2club.co.uk/new_forum/index.php/topic,7983.msg88731.html#msg88731

Andrew

Avalon

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7597
  • .:
Re: Slant to driver side
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 02:35:02 PM »

In my experience when a lean is perceived it can often be blamed on the rear springs, when actually it is the front springs that are out of balance. For example if your FL spring is too weak then the FL drops a bit, and the whole vehicle pivots around the FR-BL axis, and then the BR corner comes up, giving the impression of a lean to the left at the rear, when actually the problem is with the front spring balance. The same result could be obtained if the FR spring was too strong, or seized with rust etc... the FR would be up, vehicle pivots on FL-BR axis, and the BL end is pushed down. Again this results in a left-down lean at the rear.

I've had left-hand-down leans before and swapped rear springs to try and fix it and had no effect. But swapping front springs can reverse the effect, sometimes just giving you a lean the other way, or if you are lucky, fixing it.

I would inspect/clean your front springs.

It is possible to remove 1st/2nd leaves of front springs quite easily, with springs in situ, and the vehicle lean can be tweaked a little bit that way.

Alternatively there is a procedure on another thread recently about tweaking the ride height, but I never tried this one myself...
https://www.series2club.co.uk/new_forum/index.php/topic,7983.msg88731.html#msg88731

Thanks for your answer. I, too wondered if I should have changed all four springs at the same time considering that the snow plowing was attached for many,many years in the winter.
However, the front springs looked in good shape.
I am not concerned about the lean and it is not noticeable while inside and driving.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.