S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do we wave to New Defenders ?  (Read 3458 times)

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Re: Do we wave to New Defenders ?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2021, 06:30:15 PM »

I misread... I was thinking 88", not 1988! Am I right in thinking that the last Series vehicles were 88" build in 1984?

If you look at all current JLR literature, technical info resources, electronic parts catalogues etc, you will see that everything we would consider to be pre Defender is scooped up under one Defender model name now. Any hard copies of workshop manuals etc will have just been reprints of old period documents, so unlikely to have been updated
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2021, 08:44:14 PM »

New "Defenders" ? I think I've seen a couple, I find them generally indistinguishable from the rest of the lardy-backsided stuff JLR badge as Landrover so no, I've not waved at any. Grenadier ? Why would I wave at one of them, apart from some significant styling theft they have no more connection to a Landrover than a Nissan, Toyota or G-Wagen. Where are they planning to make it now, Outer Mongolia ? It will be where yr man pays least tax and gets the most tax-payer subsidy....

I do get waved at in the Lightweight, I get blokes wandering over to say "I used to drive one of them in the Army" when parked or filling up, I had a lad say to me today "This looks like an Army car..." I'm not sure he believed we actually had motor vehicles in 1971...

I work on the principle that the S1 was the prototype, the S2 the pinnacle and the S3 the start of the long plastic-lined marketing lead decline that took us to the Evoke and the current crop. If you can't turn a hose loose in the back to clean it out, I'm not interested :-) 

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

nathanglasgow

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5123
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2021, 09:27:24 PM »

In agreement with above post. The new 'Defender' has absolutely nothing in common with the vehicles this club supports. I wave at most classic cars. Its kind of an acknowledgement of the 'wow, you're just as daft as me'
1967 Rover 10(ex mil 2a swb)
1970 lwb  ex Singer sewing machine factory Clydebank fire appliance

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2021, 11:26:48 AM »

I got a friendly wave off an older Defender this morning whilst I was leaving the petrol station They pulled in to fuel up So a wave back they got.
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

Gareth

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6172
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2021, 05:21:37 PM »

I’m not going to get involved in this, other than to say I’ve had mine 7 months and it’s not put a wheel wrong. It’s a great car and I’m privileged to have to struggle to decide which car to take out in the morning. If someone waved at me I would wave back regardless of which car I was driving.

geoff

• .:
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2021, 07:13:01 PM »

Do we wave, salute, acknowledge 'them' or avert our eyes?

A bit like asking owners of " British " MG cars if they wave at owners of " Chinese " MG cars ......  :whistle  :RHD

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2021, 07:29:13 PM »

I wave at series vehicles - of all types. I wave back at 'others' ...
Tim

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2021, 07:50:54 PM »

A bit like asking owners of " British " MG cars if they wave at owners of " Chinese " MG cars ......  :whistle  :RHD
NO. DEFINITELY NOT. (at least I don't and would never). They're an insult to what was once a respected name. Mine is a 1977 MGB GT with a Stage 2 cylinder head modified for me by the former chief in the cylinder head department of Downton Engineering. Unfortunately it's not running due to overheating problems which have had to be put on hold at present.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2021, 08:00:42 PM »

NO. DEFINITELY NOT. (at least I don't and would never). They're an insult to what was once a respected name. Mine is a 1977 MGB GT with a Stage 2 cylinder head modified for me by the former chief in the cylinder head department of Downton Engineering. Unfortunately it's not running due to overheating problems which have had to be put on hold at present.

Which is pretty ironic! I imagine the Chinese ones are working fine!

Chris.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2021, 08:10:07 PM »

I've a horrible feeling the cylinder head is cracked as due to valve seat damage it had to have oversized inlet valves fitted and there's very little metal between inlet and exhaust valves normally.
Chinese MG's have a reputation for being cheap nasty and 'orrible and the brand owners have no interest in the heritage of the name. Most spares are hit and miss, the company doesn't support manufacture of "old car parts."

George1990

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6900
  • .:
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2021, 10:52:20 PM »

Seen a few but only one in the series. He got very excited when I waved at him, so I guess he too realised I was in the superior vehicle.

You do get a a good few enthusiasts in them, as well as the screwdriver-phobes.
1968 RAF 2a 88 bitsa
1980 6 pot S3 109

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2021, 09:51:23 AM »

I have noticed 'proper' Defender (i.e. up to 2016) drivers wave at me in the Series IIA.

Hi,

Surely it is up to the Defender to make the first move?

Er ... somebody mentioned "Chinese" MGBs. Try a Google for DATSUN FAIRLADY IMAGES. The first Fairlady I saw in Penang confused me ... a 3-seater MGB?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2021, 10:04:17 AM »

Hi,

I had to scroll down a long way, to find a picture of the third seat. The third passenger sat in a proper seat, behind the driver, but facing sideways, with his feet behind the front passenger.

To paraphrase from the caption to a photograph of three Japanese ladies examining the engine bay of a BMC Mini, I think in Sports Car Illustrated in 1960.

"See! I told you they went the other way, in the West!"  That magazine always had "contraversal" pictures on the last page.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.