S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Insurance claim after an accident.  (Read 4642 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Insurance claim after an accident.
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2021, 04:44:07 AM »

Hi Sunny Jim,

I may be wrong, but you seemed to have been fighting your own insurer ... who arranged the Legal Protection.

Both of Barbara's claims (both SAABs), resulted in the wreck being removed from outside our house, within an hour of her contacting her insurers, and a hire car being delivered minutes after that.

Hey! Hang on! The second incident (running amok in reverse gear, from a standing start, and writing off my Disco, I might have the photos somewhere) involved me claiming off her insurance ... no point in us both losing our NCDs. NOBODY OFFERED ME A HIRE CAR.

A belated thought ... if you car is insured for two named drivers, will both drivers be allowed to drive the hire car? Or get one each?  :whistle

a warning ... if your car is a "write off", then that insurance policy is also "written off". You will have to pay for a brand new policy, but hopefully retain some of your NCD. But if the replacement car is brand new, there is a double whammy.

1. If a car is damaged within 12 months of NEW, the insurers will replace it with another new car. (Is that a legal requirement?) Expect a hike in the premium. I don't know if the second years premium continues at the increased level.

2.  HMG will penalise you for buying a new car, by charging extra for it's first years VED. I haven't got my head abound either the logic, nor the math.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2021, 05:27:33 PM »

Hi

When I bought the Suzuki Jimny, I did not examine the log-book (V5).

I was only months later, when reading the V5 (as you do), that I noticed that it had been subject to a ECONOMIC WRITE-OFF...Cheaper for the insurers to pay the "book value", claim the car, and shove it into an auction.

Until then, I was not aware that this would be recorded on the V5 ... and DVLCs memory banks.  I do not know if there is a way of wiping that information off the record.  The vehicle is tainted, and I doubt that a finance company will offer HP.

Jimbo

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 236
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2021, 06:51:43 PM »

“a warning ... if your car is a "write off", then that insurance policy is also "written off". You will have to pay for a brand new policy, but hopefully retain some of your NCD. But if the replacement car is brand new, there is a double whammy.”

That’s incorrect. You can transfer the policy onto a different car, same as if you sold it and bought a different one.
James

Member: 236
1959 Series 2 88” 2.25 Petrol
2016 Discovery 4 SDV6
2017 Suzuki Jimny

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2021, 07:43:40 PM »

Quite right ^^^

The policy is not "written off".

My own policy is about ME. It rolls as and when I change cars and/or add or remove other drivers.
The renewal date is the same each year and doesn't change if I change cars.

It might have been the case years ago - and the insurers can always refuse to insure you for various reasons.

After my accident this year, the car hire insurance/agreement carried over seamlessly - all my named drivers could drive the hire car (I had it for 5 weeks) as it happened I was the only one who drove it.
The only very slight hassle was the age old con of conning your for a full tank of fuel when you hand it back.
I managed to come out on top.
I was not out of pocket by 1 penny (which is how it should be).

Who's a then ?

Sunny Jim

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 16
  • .:
  • I was born in Lode Lane so it's no wonder!
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2021, 12:16:58 AM »

That’s incorrect. You can transfer the policy onto a different car, same as if you sold it and bought a different one.

This was my experience also. My policy expired before the new car was delivered, and I wasn't required to renew it until I got the replacement, the premium for the new car was less than the old insurance, although it was loaded because the claim wasn't settled. This was refunded as the other party had admitted liability, even though the claim wasn't settled (the claim was of the order of £20k, although it was interesting that the paperwork for the purchase of the replacement vehicle was left in it, and showed just how much less they paid than standard 'retail' price.

I also had outstanding HP on the written-off vehicle (you got a discount if you took out their interest free credit!), I was able to simply transfer this to the replacement vehicle, and it was paid off on the originally planned date with no extra cost.

Sunny Jim
Series 2 Club Member 16

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2021, 06:54:25 AM »

That is incorrect

Hi,

It looks like I will have to bow to superior wisdom. Or maybe things have changed since I was in short trousers?

The logic (as I understood it) was that if your insure your car, and pay a premium to cover a set period. This is effectively a contract to replace your car, if it is written off, or stolen.

So, you insure your car, and the following day, it is stolen. Your insurers buy you a new car. The following day, that car is stolen too.  :thud

I suggest that the insurers would be a little miffed to pay out for two new cars, on the strength of one premium. Wouldn't you?

There is also the matter of named drivers. Hubby buys a car, registers it in his name, and insurers it for both himself and his wife to drive.

Hubby (the Policy Holder) pops his clogs. Is his widow still insured to drive her dead husbands car? I understand this is not an unusual situation ... but I admit that I don't know the answer.  I suggest that Wifey contacts the insurers before driving the car.

It is possible, and not unusual, for husband and wife, or anybody, to have both names on the V5 as Registered Keepers. I wonder if that makes them both liable for their un-taxed, and uninsured, car parked on a double yellow line.

I assume that two (or more) people can be the Insurance Policy Holder. ???

:can_of_worms  (twice)

PS.  If Hubby dies, his widow will have to inform DVLC. I assume she will have surrender the VED, get a refund, and re-tax the car ... thereby losing a months tax in the refund, and then retax it, starting from the 1st of the current month. That would feel like a double whammy (probably isn't).
DVLC will not (or did not) include months for which VED HAD been paid, when calculating back duty, so she would probably be safe not paying for the voided period. But don't take my word for it. Things may be different if Hubby was disabled, so his VED was free. Me? I would have cancelled the penalty, in such a case ... but I can't remember if those were my instructions.  "*** it!". If push had come to shove, I'd have paid the penalty myself ... the first time.

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2021, 11:58:51 AM »

That is incorrect

Hubby (the Policy Holder) pops his clogs. Is his widow still insured to drive her dead husbands car? I understand this is not an unusual situation ... but I admit that I don't know the answer.  I suggest that Wifey contacts the insurers before driving the car.

I suspect it's a requirement to do this, buried in the general requirement to inform the insurance company of anything they might be able to charge one for, if nowhere else. In any case, the name of the "principal driver" would need to be changed (and presumably that of the policy holder, too).

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2021, 12:09:32 PM »

If the policy holder dies - that's it, policy null & void.

Named drivers shouldn't.

With most top end insurers the widow has to contact the insurers ASAP and get the policy changed to their name - or more likely ....
The policy will be cancelled and they will be able to start up a new policy with any remaining paid days on the old policy carried forward with an adjustment payment.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »

Hi,

I think I've already mentioned the driver of a Renault Dauphine who parked it in the back of my Minivan. I was stationary at pedestrian traffic lights, in RAF uniform. The driver of the car in front climbed out saying "This always happens when I buy a new car!. My first move was to salute him ... he was a Squadron Leader. He didn't have to return the salute, coz he didn't have his hat on.

The Renault driver seemed to be drunk ... slurred speech, etc ... so the police dealt with us two victim, first, and let us on our way.

The "perps" insurers responded to my claim ... "Our client had suffered a heart attack, of which he had no prior warning, therefore we will not entertain any claim against him".   (Discuss!)

The police said they had warned him not to drive again, until his doctor said he could. (This was 1964, so pre-DVLA days)

Luckily, the Mini was being bought on HP, so was my first car to be insured Fully Comp.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2021, 09:49:25 PM »

.... which is why you should have legal protection added to your policy.

You should never have been out of pocket or at fault over that incident ^^^

Just because their client died at the wheel does absolve his insurers from fault, they have to pay out.

Too late now ... 

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2021, 06:48:25 AM »

Hi Alan,

This was in 1964, so before I met Barbara (just).  The other driver was the local representative of a large insurance company ... I dated his secretary for a short period.  :cheers

She told me of a similar (and recent ... then) case involving a bus driver, who had passed out at the wheel, resulting in several injuries.

The court decided that he had NO PRIOR WARNING, so could not beheld legally liable. This was before Passenger Liability was required, in addition to Third Party insurance.

I'm guessing that the legal requirements have been "enhanced" since then, (EG. Passenger Liability became a requirement), to avoid such evasions, and premiums escalated.*

* My Reliant Scimitar GTE red-lined at 6,500RPM, and pulled 30mph per 1000RPM in overdrive top. Oh OK, in theory, it could.

The premium was £32 per annum for TPO.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2021, 07:32:15 AM »

Things have moved on in the last 60+ years ....

Your insurance package includes far more cover these days, yet in real terms the premiums are about the same when you take inflation into account.

Some of us are paying sub-£100 for our Land Rovers. I'm paying sub-£200 for my posh modern car !
All with various insurance covered "extras".

:cheers

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2021, 08:38:56 AM »

Things have moved on in the last 60+ years ....

Hi Alan,

Probably true.

My first car was a BSA three-wheeler, open 2-seater, with a 4 cylinder, 8hp, water cooled engine. Me aged 17, provisional licence, living in Croydon (now South London). The TPO premium was about £8 ... Prudential. More than two weeks wages.

The next car that I can remember insuring was a 1931 MG L-type Magna ... MG Midget look-a-like, but four seats, into which I had fitted a 1936 Vauxhall 10 engine. The Pru wanted £20, so I shopped around, got TPO for a bit over £10. The RAF were paying me well under £10pw, but "all found".

Next memorable premiums were for a Reliant Sabre 6 (think Ford 10 special with plastic body, and a straight 6 Zodiac engine) followed by Robin Rews "racing" Reliant Scimitar GTE ... both about £30 for TPO. Mid-1970s.

Frankly, I have no idea what we are paying for my Freelander, nor Barbra's new Hyundai IX20,and it would surprise me if Barbara could tell you without checking. Our pensions go into the bank, and everything is paid by standing order. It takes all the fun challenge out of life.

No longer do we wait for the red reminder ... and pay half ... and pay the other half next month. I suspect we were not alone in that ploy, as the utilities NOW refuse to accept part-payments.

If push comes to shove, Building Societies will probably allow you to miss a months payment provided you ask ... but only once. Been there, done that too ... but a long time ago.

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2021, 10:01:02 AM »

I was a named driver on my uncle’s car for several years. When he died I called the insurers (Hastings) and informed them of his passing and they issued a temporary (four week) certificate in my name to enable me to MoT and prepare the car for sale. They were really helpful, and made it clear that if the first four weeks were not enough then they would extend, four weeks at a time, until his original expiry date was reached. It took a little over six weeks to get the car sold, and when I called them to notify the change of keeper and that cover was no longer required, they refunded my auntie the portion of his premium from the day he died. I appreciate not all insurers are going to be as comprehensively helpful, but I was really impressed.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2021, 06:42:34 AM »

If the policy holder dies - that's it, policy null & void

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that.

Er ... I assume the same applies to house insurance?

I suppose that usually a solicitor becomes involved soon after, but maybe it would be an idea to advise your NoK, before the event?

My father told me of a woman who wrote to the insurers, asking if she could stop paying her husbands insurance premiums, as money was tight since he died.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 18 queries.