S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Future of aftermarket parts  (Read 1050 times)

williammac

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6158
  • .:
Future of aftermarket parts
« on: July 20, 2021, 08:37:24 AM »

From the telegraph this morning.
Not enough info to comment at the moment, but one to watch...

'Motorists face soaring repair costs from a Brussels crackdown on unbranded car parts, one of the world’s biggest distributors has said.

Andy Hamilton of Euro Car Parts warned that drivers risk being forced to spend an extra £100 a year if the Government does not step in to overrule new the European Union legislation.

The EU is consulting on a change to so-called block exemption rules which allow independent garages to use cheaper “aftermarket” parts rather than manufacturer-branded components. Britain will automatically follow these rules under a post-Brexit agreement unless UK regulators intervene.

Tens of thousands of mechanics could be forced into using branded products as a result - and Euro Car Parts estimates this would land drivers with an additional £2.4bn annually as a result.

The Competition and Markets Authority, Britain's regulator, is in talks with the Government about the current rules ahead of their expire in 2023. A final decision on what to do will be made by the Business Secretary.

Mr Hamilton said: “We urgently need to understand what the CMA’s plans are, otherwise British drivers risk being driven into a monopoly that will cost them nearly £100 a year and much more in future.

"Ministers must intervene to expedite the issue. If not, Britons up and down the country will have to fork out £2.4bn in extra costs that go straight into the hands of car manufacturers - many of which charge a large premium for fixing their vehicles."

He added that any change could pose a serious threat to the UK’s 30,000 independent garages and their 350,000-strong workforce.'

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Future of aftermarket parts
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 09:47:33 AM »

.... am I worried ???

The EU/Germans have been trying this on for years.
Most, all of the aftermarket car parts are made outside the EU so they will still be there.

I can see Euro Car Parts might have to change their name  ;)

Write to the FBHVC, what have they got to say about this possibility - if it ever happens.

:keep calm red
Who's a then ?

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 09:51:59 AM »

Not sure JLR are making much in the way of Series Land Rover parts, or Citroen making parts for my Ami, or Ford making them for my Dexta....................

Would JLR really want to take on the quality control aspects of the "Britpart" wholesalers let alone entering into contracts with the manufacturers ?

Got more chance of rejoining the EU (fingers crossed !)   in my opinion

"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 10:52:24 AM »

If it takes some of the junk off the market, all to the good. None of the car manufacturers make their own seals, bearings, brake components or lights, they are all bought in from outside suppliers - so lines about "monopoly" and "costs going into the hands of the car manufacturers" are total twaddle. If they insist on "OEM" for say, a bearing, then the chances are that over the years that part was supplied by 3-4 manufacturers.

....but yes, remember that the German TUV suggestion for vehicles to be able to claim "Historic" status was that ALL the parts were OEM and to the original specification. Problematic if the manufacturer has gone out of business or no longer makes the part - or current legislation bans the product - asbestos brake linings ?     
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 12:31:08 PM »

I would think that most/all the car manufacturers "buy in" the parts and just assemble on the line.

I thought the business model was to lorry in the various parts on a needs basis, such that the assembly plant don't actually keep stocks of parts for more than a day or sos work ???

Take tyres.
The contract will go to the cheapest bidder/supplier. A few months later a different tyre manufacturer will be used, and so on.

.... on the other hand Britpart might be bricking it  :britparts

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 01:12:38 PM »

It sounds unworkable.

But that hasn't stopped the EU legislation factory before.

Chris.

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 01:24:25 PM »

Don't panic :agh

(I thought Andy Hamilton was a comedian)
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.