S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dating a steering box?  (Read 1311 times)

gilbo

• Master of the oils
Dating a steering box?
« on: July 25, 2021, 05:46:40 PM »

Evening
No, I don't mean'taking one out' on a date .....

I mean where is the date or date code on a S2a (early - late '61 - horn oush in the centre of the wheel) steering box please, or indeed any box with a spoked wheel.

I am looking to swop mine out for one which I believe to be correct (visually & measurement) but wonder if anyone can help?

cheers

Tom

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3375
  • .:
Re: Dating a steering box?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 06:13:16 PM »

On the steering box itself, on the top face of the casting just below where the column bolts on.

gilbo

• Master of the oils
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 06:27:06 PM »

On the steering box itself, on the top face of the casting just below where the column bolts on.

Hi Tom
Thanks for that - don't suppose you have a picture do you?
If that is where it is meant to be then mine looks to have been really poorly stamped and virtually intelligible!
cheers
Dave

Tom

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 06:28:25 PM »

Just about to go out and get one for you Dave - give me 5 mins  :cheers

Tom

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 06:46:50 PM »

Ok, maybe 20 mins! Sorry!

Interesting how clear the 59 stamp is and the 61 not so much (but at least legible) - stamps must have been getting worn out after 2 years of use  :-X

Tom

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 06:51:18 PM »

Dating wise, I believe that the first letter relates to the month, so A = January, B = February and so on, excluding  the letter I.

The second number is the week of said month, 1, 2, 3, or 4.

The last two digits are the year.

So with the above, there is a 2nd week of October 1959 and a 3rd week of November 1961

Also, at some point early on, they changed the length of the steering column by 1 inch. Of the two pictured, the 59 one is 25.5” from the mating face to the box to the end of the splines. The 61 box is 26.5” so one inch longer. Sorry, but I don’t know when the exact change happened. I believe the two lengths are entirely interchangeable as a complete unit.

gilbo

• Master of the oils
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 09:25:01 PM »

Dating wise, I believe that the first letter relates to the month, so A = January, B = February and so on, excluding  the letter I.

The second number is the week of said month, 1, 2, 3, or 4.

The last two digits are the year.

So with the above, there is a 2nd week of October 1959 and a 3rd week of November 1961

Also, at some point early on, they changed the length of the steering column by 1 inch. Of the two pictured, the 59 one is 25.5” from the mating face to the box to the end of the splines. The 61 box is 26.5” so one inch longer. Sorry, but I don’t know when the exact change happened. I believe the two lengths are entirely interchangeable as a complete unit.

OK Tom, thanks for going to the trouble - very helpful.
I will have another closer look tomorrow (been out this evening) to see if I can interpret what mine says now I know how it is coded. Trouble is the stamping is really bad.
This column and box was given to me some time ago and it seems to be the correct length (outer sleeve, that is) according to my old parts book. It is a little confusing though as it has tab washers and not spring washers on the cover and end plate fixings!
I was led to believe it had been refurbed and taking the lid off shows regreased balls, no end float and no slop in the fibre top bush -which has not been renewed. So I will fit some new gaskets and O ring (and thread seal all the bolts) and see how it compares with my original box once I get it out. Considering mine is the original box and has been to the moon and back it has very little wrong with it except the top bush is very sloppy and the inner column rattles! So I figure swop them over, refurb the original at my leisure and that wya I am off the road for minimal amout of time  :cheers
Well that's the plan.
Hope all is well with you - been a while!
cheers & thanks again
Dave

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 07:07:48 AM »

Hi Dave,

Reference to my parts book suggests there is a one inch difference between the outer columns for side and centre horn push. and seems to co-incide with the change from wire spoke to solid plastic steering wheel ... which feels like two differences?

gilbo

• Master of the oils
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 08:41:58 AM »

Hi Dave,

Reference to my parts book suggests there is a one inch difference between the outer columns for side and centre horn push. and seems to co-incide with the change from wire spoke to solid plastic steering wheel ... which feels like two differences?

Yes, thanks John
Despite the really poor stamping I am pretty sure it is an early 1963 box and the correct one. The main difference (as mine is a Suff A, mid '61 build SWB) is that the fixings on the '63 box are 3/8" and my originals 5/16" - no big deal once I get my drill out!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 19 queries.