S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple things amuse simple minds.  (Read 5791 times)

Re: Simple things amuse simple minds.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 02:39:23 PM »

In the spirit of the original poster’s donor, I inherited my dad’s trays of nuts and bolts over thirty years ago. He had always meant to “sort them properly one day”, and I have always meant to do the same...

If I ever manage to find the time to do so, then I’ll know that my work on this earth is complete.

I strongly suspect that my son will inherit them, still unsorted, and will in turn spend several decades rifling through them occasionally in search of an appropriate fastener for the latest project.

Its a tricky sensitive beast to deal with something bequeathed to you.  Whilst undoubtedly there is some age and rarity in bits and bobs if you get known as the go to man or women then it soon piles up and never gets sorted.

602 re the two key start up on the raf vehicle is that like a nuclear thing where keys must be turned in sync and with full authorsation and agreement?   Might one have been a battery master cut off switch?

Back on the subject of nuts and bolts, I recall working at a hgv/bus garage and their assortment was laid out on a sheet of 8x4foot ply with a 2x4 inch border to stop them escaping.  Rummage away. 

Its a bit of nostalgia, emotion and some achievement having these stockpiles if they have what you are after.  I knew a chap who lied about his age to fight in the first world war who had a 6x4 shed floor to ceiling, he died at the start of the 90's and we still have and use bits from his estate.

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 09:55:11 PM »

602 re the two key start up on the raf vehicle is that like a nuclear thing where keys must be turned in sync and with full authorsation and agreement?   Might one have been a battery master cut off switch?

It was probably just the standard Series 2(A) diesel setup. The "ignition" switch on the dash simply turned the auxiliary electrics and dynamo field etc on (or off if for any unfathomable reason you might want not to have brake lights  ;) ) The "tractor" switch under the dash controlled the heater plugs and starter functions. A choice of heater/starter/starter+heater ISTR. Engine stop was the usual pull out knob arrangement.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2019, 06:32:20 AM »

Hi 2286,

You are probably right. These were the first diesel LandRovers that I'd met. This was on a SAM site in Malaya, and were painted Jungle Greem ... sorry ... Olive Drab. I stocked with green towels (RAF Regiment for the drying of), prior to demob, and got Barbara a pair of military sun specs.(also Rock Ape issue) Completly OT. one bloke kept his pet chameleon (sp?) in his locker, to catch any prowling flies, and another bloke had a Venus Flytrap that he fed with the flies he'd swatted.

Prior to then, at RAF Weeton, nobody needed a key to start an Austin Loadster (Lode Star?) nor Bedford SL/RL.. Just take the cover off the fuse box, remove one fuse ... and put it back, but in the gap between the clips, thus linking all the circuits together. Everything became live.  :cheers . I don't know if that would work with an S2 fuse box ... I think later fuse boxes had a "detent" between the fuse clips.

OT ... everybody, but everybody, had a skeleton key to fit all NAAFI issue locker padlocks. Just file off all the sprags except the outer pair.

PS.  To prevent your Landy being stolen, wire the CB side of your coil to earth, through a secret switch ... or better still, through one of those little plastic blade type fuses. Insert fuse to immobilise your your truck. OK, it might cook your coil, but only if somebody does try to nick your chariot.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 09:30:30 AM »

If I wanted to start your S2, I'd just run a wire (that I'd brought with me), from the approriate terminals , battery to the coil, then you've got ignition...any key becomes irrelevant  ;)

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 01:35:19 PM »

Mulling over the nuts and bolts subject, I got to thinking about the tins and trays that folk store them in.  Like oxo tins.  Then I started thinking about dunlop and john bull and other little bits that have been knocking about or in use around the shed since year dot and are now deemed collectables.

I found a petrol can, I knew i had but had never bother what was written on it, is says GLICO which apparently stands for gas light and improvement company, and dates to 1924!

The other one is a marked shell bp mex .  Were they once one company or joint for distribution at least and what is the mex bit.  To me they were just cans that dont leak and are usable.  The same with my epco engine crane that was bought rather than hire one or use a cheap nasty flimsy modern thing.  Its just good kit, now old kit, some appreciating in value?

602 my 2a fuse box periodically does its own immobilising, usually of the wipers when its raining in stop start traffic.  Jump out bonnet up give it a thump or roll them in the clips until contact is made.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 06:54:29 PM »

Hi Tu-tu ....  :cool

In the early 1960s, I bought an Armstrong Siddely Whitney for £1.50 (wish I had it now). I insured it, but never bothered with tax and the new fangled MOT. I got done twice for no tax ... two fines @ 30 shillings a time. I did a ;lot of miles (RAF Barnhan to Croydon every weekend). It had tremendous brakes, despite having no linings ... and the naked shoes were well "blued".

It had an electric fuel reserve switch, which kept blowng fuses. So I carriesd a 1/4 H=Whit bolt ... that got very hot. A lovery car to drive.  For some reason it had a 4-speed gearbox, not pre-select. One day I chopped it into third gear at 70mph, took the big-ends out.

Happy days!

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 12:09:42 PM »

The golden age of motoring, not boring reliable boxes filled with folks on their phones.

The cantilever tool box covered in the tartan rug (to hide it and to give the dog a bit of cushioning) was ever present, for road side continuation, can of oil and water too.

The world is a much changed place, if you can find a phone box it says no coins accepted.  Everyone has a mobile and motors are beyond most now.  Pro's and cons.

On the subject of petrol cans one made £1120 on mr coles new programme junk and disorderly.

ian_1968

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »

If my kids inherit 'lightbulbs' they won't know what they do with them.. Nuts and bolts have little hope in the grand scheme of things. I might have to revisit all the old projects and put them where they are supposed to be.
Many a Land Rover has passed my door, I am still soaking up the oil they left.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 10:08:11 AM »

Mulling over the nuts and bolts subject, I got to thinking about the tins and trays that folk store them in.  Like oxo tins.  Then I started thinking about dunlop and john bull and other little bits that have been knocking about or in use around the shed since year dot and are now deemed collectables.

I found a petrol can, I knew i had but had never bother what was written on it, is says GLICO which apparently stands for gas light and improvement company, and dates to 1924!

The other one is a marked shell bp mex .  Were they once one company or joint for distribution at least and what is the mex bit.  To me they were just cans that dont leak and are usable.  The same with my epco engine crane that was bought rather than hire one or use a cheap nasty flimsy modern thing.  Its just good kit, now old kit, some appreciating in value?

602 my 2a fuse box periodically does its own immobilising, usually of the wipers when its raining in stop start traffic.  Jump out bonnet up give it a thump or roll them in the clips until contact is made.

When I was a kid I 'rescued' a GLICO can like yours from a farm building just before it was demolished. I sold it on ebay a couple of years ago to help fund a project and it made over £100 :thud

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2019, 11:45:23 AM »

I think I've got, in the garage somewhere, an ammo box marked 1943 for 6pdr anti tank shells or whatever,  i saw something similar on ebay for about a fiver, so probably not going to make a fortune on that... :shakeinghead

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2019, 06:08:18 PM »

I recall fords of the 1970's 1980's could be opened and started with almost anything.

You could start dad's 1935 Austin 10 (Lichfield0 bY swithing on the lights then pressing the starter button. I don't know if it related, but the front side lamps came on with the stop lamps. ???

Academic, as he never took the key out ... until one day he gave it a coat of Valspar, and somebody nicked it that night.

Academic ... the Austin was registered CS 3333.

OT ... Plod had a box with a full set of ignition keys lying on pavement behind him, while he tried one key at a time in a parked car. He turned round to find somebody had nicked the box. Late 1950s, I think.

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2019, 12:59:19 PM »

Lightbulbs are another thing indeed that tends to accumulate, along with 3 pin plugs from back in the day when you had to and were allowed to fit one yourself.

Re the glico can he's safe back in the gloom, better than money in the bank!  Not sure if the olive drab is original but its certainly old and keeping the rust at bay.  Got me thinking back to the days when motor oil came in tin cans, duckhams and castrol gtx to mention a few memorable ones, now its all plastic maybe that will revert back given the trend.

Father had tools and spares in a ammo box in the series 1, for which he fashioned a plywood hard top to replace the canvas.

That has made me laugh reading about the allure of the fresh coat of paint just tipping the scales. 

But the keys being taken from the safety of police custody.

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2019, 05:29:27 PM »

Not aware that there's any legislation against fitting your own plugs (yet?). There is a requirement for new stuff to have prefitted ones, though, which does make sense when you see the pigs' ears some (most?) people make of it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 22 queries.