S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Premium Petrol and E10  (Read 16467 times)

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2021, 06:32:46 PM »

I refuelled my Land Rover at my local Jet filling station last week.
 I usually go there but hadn't filled up for a while.
Noticed that the pumps had E10 stickers on them that weren't there before.
Anyway, the Land Rover seemed to run very well after after this fill up. Better than before.

A lot of places will be putting the E10 stickers on beforehand even though E5 will still be in the tanks. It's so they don't get caught out on switch over day. With the wrong sticker on the pumps but E10 in the tanks. Ask them if they are now dispensing E10.
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2021, 06:35:48 PM »

Is there a typo in that document?

7. Use a non-alcohol based fuel treatment to prevent excessive water collection in your fuel. Ethanol based fuel treatments worsen problems caused by E10 gas.

Should that read “Alcohol based fuel treatments worsen problems” rather than “Ethanol based fuel treatments worsen problems”.

A small point I know but potentially an important point.

Not exactly.... alcohol is the generic name for a range of chemically similar products. Ethanol (Ethyl alcohol) is the stuff that gets you drunk before it poisons you, methanol (methyl alcohol) is nasty stuff not sure about propanol and butanol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_fuel

Ndrwdz

• Shop Manager
  • S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3755
  • .:
Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2021, 08:37:04 AM »

E10 means 'up to 10% ethanol' so you can sell E5 petrol from a pump with an E10 sticker, but not the other way round.

This is how the companies that say there is no ethanol in their petrol still sell it as E5.

Andrew
[ºº]O O[ºº]

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2021, 03:04:00 PM »

How much are all y'all paying for fuel petrol over there in the UK?
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2021, 03:32:51 PM »

How much are all y'all paying for fuel petrol over there in the UK?

Hi Correus.
In my neck of the woods, a semi-rural South-East location, 20 miles or so from London, I currently pay an average of £1.32 per litre (£6.02 per imperial gallon) to fill my Series 2.  That's generally using standard 4 star E5.  I sometimes use the Premium 4 star with lower ethanol, so that may skew my average price slightly.

If I use the Premium 4 Star all the time, the average price goes up to £1.42 per litre (£6.47 per imperial gallon).

Those figures are based on my usage over the last year......

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2021, 03:40:45 PM »

Hi Correus.
In my neck of the woods, a semi-rural South-East location, 20 miles or so from London, I currently pay an average of £1.32 per litre (£6.02 per imperial gallon) to fill my Series 2.  That's generally using standard 4 star E5.  I sometimes use the Premium 4 star with lower ethanol, so that may skew my average price slightly.

If I use the Premium 4 Star all the time, the average price goes up to £1.42 per litre (£6.47 per imperial gallon).

Those figures are based on my usage over the last year......

DANG!!!!   :agh  :agh  :agh

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2021, 03:50:46 PM »

DANG!!!!   :agh  :agh  :agh

Precisely!!  So what are you paying per US gallon?

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2021, 04:06:24 PM »

Precisely!!  So what are you paying per US gallon?

I'm embarrassed to say...  in my area of Kansas we are paying $2.92 for regular, $2.98 for premium and $3.05 for diesel per gallon.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2021, 08:03:44 PM »

Isn't a US gallon about 7 imperial pints?
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2021, 08:08:18 PM »

Isn't a US gallon about 7 imperial pints?

Yes - 6.7.

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2021, 08:43:58 PM »

Oh you lucky devils!

So if a US gallon is about £2.12p, I guess our Imperial gallon would be around £2.40ish.

Even allowing for the fact that US distances between places are greater than on our crowded isle, meaning personal transport (cars & trucks etc) is more essential, and public transport is more widely available here, that is a sizeable price difference.

Do you think that's due to the fact the USA has it's own oil production, as opposed to the UK having to rely on Middle Eastern imported oil?

Or is it more the result of the UK tax policies "milking" our personal transport, as it's seen as less essential to normal life than the US model?

Interesting hi-jack of the thread Correus, thank you.  That's what makes this forum so great......

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2021, 09:06:00 PM »

^^^^ Most of our oil  "imports" come from Norway. Its Liquid gas that we get from the Mid-East I believe ? 

The really annoying thing about tax on fuel is that the companies producing it are paying almost nothing in production based Taxes at the moment, some years recently they've even had rebates. HMG have a captive market so take tax on the fuel, VAT on top and get the petrol companies to collect it for them. Wonderful. 

....how will they replace that revenue as we switch to electric cars ?
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2021, 09:30:41 PM »

Oh you lucky devils!

So if a US gallon is about £2.12p, I guess our Imperial gallon would be around £2.40ish.

Even allowing for the fact that US distances between places are greater than on our crowded isle, meaning personal transport (cars & trucks etc) is more essential, and public transport is more widely available here, that is a sizeable price difference.

Do you think that's due to the fact the USA has it's own oil production, as opposed to the UK having to rely on Middle Eastern imported oil?

Or is it more the result of the UK tax policies "milking" our personal transport, as it's seen as less essential to normal life than the US model?

Interesting hi-jack of the thread Correus, thank you.  That's what makes this forum so great......

That's a complex issue...  one reason our fuel prices are lower is that the US controls the petrodollar - it's becoming more iffy though.  We were self sufficient for the past few years - until the current regime took over and put a stop to it.  Before the regime change fuel prices were typically between $1.00 - $0.50 cheaper depending on the area of the country you live in.  Now the new 'leader' is begging OPEC to sell us more.

There is more to it, but that's it in a nutshell.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2021, 09:32:23 PM »

I reckon electricity used for charging will be metered separately for home charging and a fuel tax and VAT levied to be collected by the supplier of the electricity as the oil companies do at present. Public charging points will have the same set up.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2021, 04:20:38 AM »

All the rubbers and seals in mine are new(ish) and rated to be used with E10.

Hi Allan,

Does that mean that NEW replacement components (eg: hoses, and pump diaphragms, etc) sold today, have to be fit for today's purpose, even though NOS may not be? ... if you see what I'm getting at.

Er, working on an "exchange rate of 0.7", (which is easier for mental arithmetic than 0.67), an old Landy doing 20 miles per Imperial will only be doing 14 miles per US gallon.  I always work on 5 litres to the Imperial gallon, but suspect that is only a vague translation.

I'm glad to say that, being a pensioner, when the fuel gauge reads quarter full, I simply brim the tank, without noticing the quantity nor price (Doesn't everyone?). I let Barbara worry about economising ... elsewhere, where I don't feel it.

Fuel economy might become important, if fuel was ever rationed. If push comes to shove, I have some experience of Shetland ponies, and donkeys, and even goats (milk and meat). I have "milked" a Shetland mare. I believe that mules give the most "grunt per buck", but are intelligent enough to realise there is a "better life" ... and can/will kick backwards, forwards, and sideways.

I have seen pictures of goats pulling carts carrying disabled children. One of my goats gave a gallon of milk per day. Lamas can be ridden, pull a cart, and eaten, also worn as a hide, or knitted fleece. There IS an alternative to Mad Max, but not as much fun.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 19 queries.