S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Premium Petrol and E10  (Read 16434 times)

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
Re: Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2021, 03:58:18 PM »

I'll stick to super unleaded as the basis for 2 stroke mixture. It saves a lot of faffing about.
Stihl 4 stroke engines use 2 stroke mixture. I've got a strimmer and long reach hedge cutter with those engines.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2021, 04:46:34 PM »

Stihl 4 stroke engines use 2 stroke mixture.

why is this a good idea :stars
does this mean Land Rover petrol engines sould be run on a 2 stoke mix, or is it the same as putting extra Redex in :stars

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2021, 04:57:46 PM »

In the old days to make "2-stroke" petrol you added about 1 to 20 parts petrol.
Which is about ½ pint of oil to 1 gallon of petrol.
You soon know if you don't have enough oil in as the engine will nip up, soon to be followed by seizing up  :'(

Some machines had a little measure built into the underside of the petrol cap, into which you poured your oil in and hence into the tank.

As times moved on some machinery got their own metering pump.
Just makes the engine a bit more complicated.
You have a petrol tank and an oil tank - the metering pump decides how much oil to inject.
A lot of 2-stroke bikes have this.

The Redex 1-shot per gallon UCL was a similar idea but not so much oil was added per gallon, more like a tea spoonful per gallon.

:Redex

Who's a then ?

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2021, 05:03:36 PM »

I remember Villiers  2 strokes used to be 16:1.
Stihl have different fuels for their small 2 & 4 stroke engines despite the fact they both use 2 stroke mixture.

Gareth

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6172
  • .:
« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2021, 08:25:03 PM »

Second tank of E10 today, so should now have overcome any mixing with E5 after first fill up. I haven’t noticed any difference in running whatsoever. Last tank averaged 17.1 mpg which is marginally better than its normal 16 at this time of year. Although that may be attributable to the long run I did back to Manchester from Northumberland last Monday. Running very smoothly.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2021, 08:36:53 PM »

why is this a good idea :stars
does this mean Land Rover petrol engines sould be run on a 2 stoke mix, or is it the same as putting extra Redex in :stars
The advantage is more torque with a 4 stroke cycle, less noise because they don't rev as high as a 2 stroke, and there's no sump as they use 2 stroke mixture, the valve gear being lubricated by drillings in the head. It works very well.
I wonder what effect E10 fuel would have on the diaphragm of the Tdi lift pump which is fitted to my petrol Series 3.

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2021, 06:26:16 AM »

Fuzz Townsend has just posted on Face Book about E10 and the what his initial reaction was in an Austin 7, to be honest I had a similar reaction when I first used it the other day. I've always run on the basic E5 fuel since George re-build, I'm not into the high octane fuels as I can't see the point as he goes well enough the way he is currently set-up, but goes even better now or that's how it feels now :RHD.

I am considering using an electric pump (low pressure) which if possible will be fitted into the fuel tank now that Allisport are offering tanks for Series Land Rovers - this could be a project for next year.   ???

RobS

Gres

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4439
  • .:
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2021, 07:58:30 AM »

I haven’t used my Petrol strummer for at least six months and it wouldn’t start a couple of days ago. I checked the plug and it was dry so primed the fuel a bit more and one of the pipes came away from the fuel tank grommet. On checking I found both pipes were perished in fact there were just shreds of pipe left in the fuel tank. Normally I leave the tank empty but on this occasion it was left half full. The pictures show what the pipes should be like and what was filtered from the fuel. Is this E10 striking again?

Probably not, the pipes have a lifespan of a couple of years and have for a long time, quality is not great.

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2021, 08:38:23 AM »

I remember Villiers  2 strokes used to be 16:1.
Stihl have different fuels for their small 2 & 4 stroke engines despite the fact they both use 2 stroke mixture.

2-strokes have gradually used a smaller proportion of oil over the years. My old Seagull outboard motor ran on 10:1, and left a chacteristic trail of blue smoke in its wake. Mowers and chainsaws etc usually required 25:1, but modern machines now often only need 40:1.

The early Saab 96 had a 2-stroke engine running on 33:1, made famous in rallying by Eric Carlson. It's the reason for the Saab tradition of having a free-wheel option by a lever under the dashboard. 2-strokes give a rather pulsating drive on over-run, but the free-wheel was continued long after the engine had been replaced by a more conventional 4-stroke.
2-strokes are more powerful of course. I've a fearsome 2-stroke groundsman's lawnmower. It makes a noise like a tank and belches smoke, but will chomp through anything.

Youngun

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2021, 10:08:08 PM »

Sorry to continue a bit more OT but just spotted this on Stihl's blog on E10
Of course, if you are concerned about the use of ethanol in your machines, then you can always consider our premium, patented fuel formula, MotoMix. STIHL MotoMix is completely free from ethanol and has virtually no olefins or aromatic compounds. Emission-wise, this makes it a cleaner, more environmentally-friendly choice than regular fuels, plus it lasts longer so you can store it for up to 5 years, which is handy as MotoMix is available in 200 litre drums!

So even though they say E10 will be fine in their 2 stroke engines, they are selling stuff with no ethanol in it, which apparently is also even more environmentally friendly (than what??)

£20 to £30 for 5 litres :agh

We are being treated like mugs.

:stars :thud Ok I use Aspen in my outboard motors (£20 for 5litres) BUT I run on it for <10 minutes to flush the regular fuel out the carbs before packing them away until next use.

Using it as your sole fuel source is financial suicide

Neal
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 25 queries.