S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wedding Car  (Read 2950 times)

Gordon L

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3114
  • .:
  • Yorkshire AO
Wedding Car
« on: October 09, 2019, 07:33:02 AM »

Is there anyone in the west Yorkshire area that could help out with a young lady on the Club Facebook page.

Hi thank you for the add I am wondering if any of you lovely people can help me or point me in the right direction ...I am getting married on August 22nd 2020 and I have been trying to find out about hiring a Land Rover series 1,2 or 3 for my fiancé as a surprise to drive him to the wedding as he is a huge huge fan of land rovers especially the older type ones, sadly we don’t own one and I know he would love to go to his wedding in one instead of the taxi he thinks he is going in. I am really struggling to find anywhere to hire one if anybody can help with contacts in West Yorkshire area I would be extremely grateful ...thank you Amanda. 07784467153

Gordon. (Yorkshire AO) thanks.
PS i will add a phone number if she is ok with people giving her a ring. :cheers :cheers :tiphat
If it isn't broke you have nothing to fix

nathanglasgow

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5123
  • .:
Re: Wedding Car
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 08:03:07 AM »

Not wanting to put downer on this but it's an insurance mine field if using your private vehicle for hire or reward. Then there is the issue of council private hire licence application ect. Or take the money and keep it quiet and hope its not involved in an accident. Sorry for the negativity but unless it's for family or friends and are just loaning it for free you could be exposing yourself to adverse risk.
1967 Rover 10(ex mil 2a swb)
1970 lwb  ex Singer sewing machine factory Clydebank fire appliance

Gordon L

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3114
  • .:
  • Yorkshire AO
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 08:23:45 AM »

Why would it not like taking a friend to the shops ???

nathanglasgow

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5123
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 08:53:33 AM »

Classic Cars – Find My Classic Car

The place for all classic car enthusiasts

Classic Car Hire
March 18th, 2012 by rubymidget

An increasing number of classic car owners have decided that classic car hire is a good way to finance their potentially expensive hobby.
But unfortunately casual classic car hire is in fact illegal since the operators need to be licenced. Now that is not really something that is worthwhile to the average hobbyist.

It may be possible to hire out your classic car via a peer to peer service. They provide all of the insurance, take a cut of the hire fee and that’s that. Your insurance is unaffected but you should check with your local authority to make sure that you are not infringing any laws or byelaws.

The rules for chauffeur driven wedding and funeral cars are different to the rules and regulations for other forms of classic car hire. They fall outside the scope of Private Hire Vehicle legislation. Apparently it is fine to hire out your classic car on a self-drive basis for weddings and funerals but it is NOT OK to drive other people to weddings or funerals if you receive ANY remuneration, whether it be in kind or cash (source: http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/)

Here is some further information from a professional in the field of classic car hire.

The FBHVC (Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs) have reported on the regulations governing the hire of vehicles with drivers and from this emerges a cautionary tale that is important to all classic and sports car hire companies in the UK, that are thinking of providing chauffeur driven services as part of their car hire business.

Three of this year’s FBHVC Newsletters have carried details of the relevant legislation including a court case where the owner of three classic cars was facing eight charges in relation to a hiring that took place in October 2007, ostensibly to take a group of people to the theatre. The company concerned lost the case.

The FBHVC view is that – at least in England and Wales – if a car is hired out for the carriage of passengers with the services of a driver, then the car, the driver and the person collecting the fee must all be licensed for the purpose with their local authority. The only exemption is for use in connection with weddings and funerals. Similar arrangements exist in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Three levels of license are required: operator (the person who handles the bookings); driver; and vehicle. Those hiring chauffeured historic vehicles for purposes other than weddings or funerals need all three. The first two should pose no problem, and are not generally hugely expensive. The last is a nightmare as authorities may set their own conditions to determine whether a vehicle is ‘safe and suitable’ and different authorities have different attitudes, some being absolutely rigid in refusing to license anything more than five years old. Conditions, once a vehicle is licensed, can be onerous, such as being required to pass an MoT twice a year.

This means that casual hire of chauffeured classic or historic vehicles for school proms, birthday treats, wedding anniversaries and any other special occasion is illegal unless the necessary licenses have been obtained. “Private hire” vehicle insurance may have been purchased, but is likely to be invalidated if there is a failure to comply with the licensing regulations.

The background reason for this legislation is to protect the public from unscrupulous operators using unsafe vehicles and/or providing criminal drivers. Those who make a living from PHV spend a considerable sum on licensing and testing before they can start to carry passengers, so it is hardly surprising that they expect the authorities to enforce the regulations so they do not face unfair competition from those who ignore the rules.

For those that like the details the relevant legislation is Part II of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 1976, regarding the licensing of Hackney Carriages and Private Hire Operators, Section 75 of which has been repealed by Section 53 of the Road Traffic Safety Act 2006.

I know of one licensed driver locally that will report drivers of unlicensed vehicles to the local authority if he thinks they are breaking the rules.

One classic car hire company to my knowledge has received a letter from the licensing office of their local council, explaining the rules, so they are being enforced. So far they seem to have targeted mainly the stretched limo sector, but if you turn up at a school prom in a Mk2 Jaguar (or similar) then you run the risk of falling foul of the authorities.

In summary, chauffeur hire is ok for weddings and funerals, but if you are not fully licensed you cannot provide chauffeur drive cars for other events like: school proms; local concerts; local tours etc.

If you are in any doubt then check the licensing office of your local council.

For more information see the article on Page 3 of the FBHVC Newsletter #5, 2008.

Page 1 of 2 | Next page

Posted in General | Comments Off

Previous post: Classic Cars on Screen
Next post: Austin Healey Sprite

Search Site