S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Front bumper  (Read 1306 times)

MikeT

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6272
  • .:
Front bumper
« on: September 13, 2021, 05:57:36 PM »

Has anybody bought a new front bumper recently, theres a few company's advertising on ebay.
Makes me wary when one of  the company states, will need filing if starting handle is used.
Prefer to buy from recommendation. 
Thanks
 Mike

Hopeydaze

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2614
  • .:
Re: Front bumper
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 06:01:17 PM »

Make sure the bumper is for a Series, and not a 90.  The latter have shorter tabs that attach to the front of the frame.

I know this because I have one of the latter lying on the floor in my garage

chughes5

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5353
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 08:33:05 PM »

I bought one from griproducts on eBay. Seems pretty solid. Fitted easily enough. Bit ashamed to say, never tried the starter handle so can't comment on the accuracy of the hole

chughes5

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 08:33:56 PM »

That's meant to say GDI products

chughes5

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 08:40:07 PM »

It's still a bit shiny

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 06:27:01 AM »

Hi Mike,

It's worth bearing in mind some reproduction bumpers are rather on the thin side, also depending how rivet counter correct you want it to be the Series Three bumper has a couple of holes in the top for the number plate bracket, which Series 2/2a do not.

Do Richards chassis not produce bumpers? I believe they used to.

Regards,

Matt.

GRMac

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6064
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 07:09:35 AM »

I bought a GDI one about a year ago.

Overall very good - thick steel, good galvanising, starter handle hole in the right place and no holes in for a number plate  :first

The only issue I can see is that the top chassis mounting bracket isn't flush with the top of bumper itself on the GDI one whereas on the original bumpers they are. This creates a gap over the step if you were using the big four bolt recovery eyes, my solution was to fit some smaller 2 bolt recovery eyes off a light weight...

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 07:42:05 AM »

I've had several from Paddocks for roughly £40 each,  they're not rivet counter perfect but they work well, and seem fairly well made. 
The starting handle hole is pressed, but I think they're also drilled for the s3 number plate mount.
I fit them to my defenders as the extra inch and a half on the mounting tabs means the bumper becomes a more functional front step/seat.

Ndrwdz

• Shop Manager
  • S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3755
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 07:42:31 AM »

So those of you who never use a starting handle, how do you set the static ignition timing and/or the tappets?

Don't you need to turn the engine very slowly to get the cam in the right place?

Never used it to actually start the engine, though (not since 1988 when I had a faulty dynamo).

Andrew
[ºº]O O[ºº]

George P

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6803
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 09:28:34 AM »

I have a brand new in box Paddocks one sitting in my garage. I bought it at the start of the project and then decided a bit further down the line to fit a winch bumper instead. I'd be happy to gift it to you (or someone) but I suspect that the postage costs to Wales would make this impractical?

I have tried it on my Richards chassis and It fits perfectly

If anyone in the Edinburgh area / south Scotland / Carlisle area wants this, please pm me.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 10:27:43 AM »

So those of you who never use a starting handle, how do you set the static ignition timing and/or the tappets?

Don't you need to turn the engine very slowly to get the cam in the right place?

Never used it to actually start the engine, though (not since 1988 when I had a faulty dynamo).

Andrew

Plugs out and turn it on the fan (tighten the belt/s if necessary). I have to do this on my Aussie 88" as the factory fitted steering dampner prevents use of a starting handle. I actually find it easier as it saves getting up and down as much!.

chughes5

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 11:38:01 AM »

I bought a GDI one about a year ago.

Overall very good - thick steel, good galvanising, starter handle hole in the right place and no holes in for a number plate  :first

The only issue I can see is that the top chassis mounting bracket isn't flush with the top of bumper itself on the GDI one whereas on the original bumpers they are. This creates a gap over the step if you were using the big four bolt recovery eyes, my solution was to fit some smaller 2 bolt recovery eyes off a light weight...

My GDI one was flat at the top. You can see my 4 bolt recovery eye in the picture. Something to look out for I guess

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 11:43:50 AM »

Andrew

Those of us of a certain age were used to doing this on cars without starting handles   :whistle

If the crank pulley nut was accessible, turn with ring spanner or socket & bar.

If not, put it in 3rd or 4th gear on level ground and push/pull the vehicle.

Those were my methods  :tiphat
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 19 queries.