S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Club Demographics  (Read 5902 times)

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
Club Demographics
« on: September 13, 2021, 06:41:10 PM »

In another topic named New Rules for Towing a Trailer Wittsend made this interesting comment "I think our forum demographic covers most with grandfather rights".

I think he was suggesting most of us are a lot of old codgers. But nonetheless I would be interested to see the make-up of the club in terms of age and location. For example, how many of us are under 20, 20 to 30, 30 to 40 and so on right up to Old Codger category.

I've often pondered why do so many choose not to show their age. I completely respect an individuals choice not to divulge personal information, its just that I don't understand why age should be so secret.   

I would also be interested to see the spread of members (numbers not names) by county/region/north/south/east/west etc.

Genem  :tiphat, if you feel I`m trying to give you extra work you have my permission to tell this old codger to go take a nap  :sleep
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Club Demographics
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 06:53:42 PM »

I'm basing my observations on some of the past towing postings on the forum. People trying to dream up ways to dodge the regulations and the pictures of some towing rigs  :shakeinghead
What can a Series Land Rover tow etc.

From someone who finds it easier to unhitch his Sankey and turn it round by hand rather than try to reverse it  :shakeinghead

You can see why motorhomes and camper van sales are on the increase, a market that didn't really exist until a few years ago, Dormobiles excepted.

:caravan
Who's a then ?

gilbo

• Master of the oils
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 07:03:53 PM »

In another topic named New Rules for Towing a Trailer Wittsend made this interesting comment "I think our forum demographic covers most with grandfather rights".

I think he was suggesting most of us are a lot of old codgers. But nonetheless I would be interested to see the make-up of the club in terms of age and location. For example, how many of us are under 20, 20 to 30, 30 to 40 and so on right up to Old Codger category.

I've often pondered why do so many choose not to show their age. I completely respect an individuals choice not to divulge personal information, its just that I don't understand why age should be so secret.   

I would also be interested to see the spread of members (numbers not names) by county/region/north/south/east/west etc.

Genem  :tiphat, if you feel I`m trying to give you extra work you have my permission to tell this old codger to go take a nap  :sleep

'Age is just a number' - apparently attributed to Joan Collins
Frankly - I think age is irrelevant.
As for it being a 'secret' - well I am happy to reveal mine.
I am 18 and have been for years!
I suspect trawling the club member database for this info might be an issue re GDPR  :agh

Eve

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3042
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 07:14:15 PM »

If you look at members' details Wittsend is 666 years old and I am 954 years old.

Any other really old codgers out there?
1966 SWB Utility Marine Blue 2.25 Petrol

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 07:30:37 PM »

I'm over 21.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 07:32:47 PM »

'Age is just a number' - apparently attributed to Joan Collins
Frankly - I think age is irrelevant.
As for it being a 'secret' - well I am happy to reveal mine.
I am 18 and have been for years!
I suspect trawling the club member database for this info might be an issue re GDPR  :agh

I am certainly not suggesting the club database be trawled. I suspect a members age will only be available if the member has registered it at the time of their joining the club, personal choice must always be respected.

Age is only irrelevant if you're not interested in advancing the club to the young because unless we do, the club will wither as we oldies die. My OP may have been light-hearted but without knowing our demographic how can we hope to manage the clubs future.

You are to be congratulated, I suspect not too many 18 year olds will be wanting an old S11 as a babe magnet. The future of classic car clubs will be in the hands of others like you  :tiphat

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 07:39:58 PM »

No, I don't think so - the graph I'm attaching below cannot be linked to any individuals personal details.  Caveat, we have no data on members who joined  prior to "Crossmember" going live in autumn 2019 and 39 of our members have numbers sub 100, so almost certainly joined in the mid 1980s.... Anyway, for what its worth, the spread of ages recorded on Crossmember peaks at about 50 with a decent spread either side. This reflects pretty accurately who is currently joining the Club. Why do we collect the data ? To give us a clue as to the demographic we are catering for.

Note that anyone who wants to add or change information about them on Crossmember can easily do so - go to "How to Join" on the main website, and follow the purple "update..." button to change phone-numbers, email etc or add vehicles to the Register.  You can also change your address, add a family member and so on. Saves me doing it  !  :-X 

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 07:42:30 PM »

Interesting post

One thing that I noticed from my visit to the Club National Rally at Ripon, was the larger than I thought there would be, numbers of under 60s, females and under 20s

Gene has some stats, but, prior to the new system, age is not a commonly recorded bit of info.

Nevertheless, Gene has some (to me) surprising info on this very subject.
"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre

kev

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6287
  • .:
  • Blah, blah, blah...
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 08:15:38 PM »

Slightly OT, but still JLR.😉
I do meet a few Jag owners in my job, and most are older Gentlemen.🙂

George1990

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6900
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 09:31:05 PM »

I was 19 or 20 when I bought my 2a project as my first car, and will have it for the rest of my life. It's a dog but I could never sell it, even if it has appreciated by 900%. 31 now and on to my 2nd woman deterrent. 
1968 RAF 2a 88 bitsa
1980 6 pot S3 109

Tom

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3375
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 09:48:54 PM »

Same as George above, bought mine at 18. Paid £800, back when prices were relatively sensible making it accessible for a teenager to get one. Now 32 and mine isn’t going anywhere. Also now have a second project, which was intending to keep me busy but haven’t really made a start on it yet after stripping it!

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6928
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 10:04:37 PM »

Already, I just updated my age, I do not know why I had not put it before ..

Age is a number, the higher, the more experience you have, and the more you can contribute to the youngest
Personally, I am very grateful for all the information that the members of this club have kindly given me, in a disinterested and very friendly way, if I were closer, I would very much like to participate in their events and green outings.
Greetings.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 10:31:12 PM »

Knowing the age profile of our club members helps us in our future planing - how many Zimmer frames and incontinence bags to order  :nursey

Not giving your age is a bit like pixelating your number plate.
It's not mandatory for membership of the club to give your age.
Likewise it would help us to know how you "found" the club.

:cheers

Ed Straker

• Director
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3460
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 06:58:40 AM »

just updated,

It must have all reset on the new forum.

*&%^$ 50 next month!!  I think I joined in my 30's.

Cheers

Jamie

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2021, 07:12:35 AM »

I have just updated my profile to include my age, I didn't realise I hadn't already done so! Anyway I'm 42.

As for age being just a number I disagree, I have worked with a large cross section of people over the years (I have been in employment since I was 14) plus I live in an area with large number of retirees and in my experience there exists a certain attitude among many of the older generation toward not only younger folks but life in general, it is hard to pin down but comes across as an arrogant self righteousness and sense of entitlement. "Baby boomers" in particular seem unable to comprehend any other point of view or accept that the world is changing. I treat everyone the same but I have unfortunately met more seriously unpleasant pensioners than I have younger people.

I would suggest we have seen this attitude manifest here on the forum recently with some responses to posts from first time owners asking basic but valid questions, e.g. "just Google it" or "do your own research" is not an appropriate response and likely puts the person off asking questions in future, it also IMHO gives the impression, rightly or wrongly that the club consists of a lot of old codgers who don't want to share knowledge or help new/younger members.

Finally Alan if you are referring to the comment I made about a Sankey being easy to move around the yard by hand perhaps I should provide some context. My yard is fairly small and with a number of vehicles parked it is simply quicker and easier to shift the trailer by hand. Living a mile from the main road up a single track lane reversing a trailer for long distances is a skill I soon learned :RHD
From someone who finds it easier to unhitch his Sankey and turn it round by hand rather than try to reverse it  :shakeinghead
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 19 queries.