S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Club Demographics  (Read 5900 times)

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
Re: Club Demographics
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2021, 04:15:19 PM »

That's exactly what I meant. I was denigrating my own towing skills.
Anyone who has a Sankey knows that revering with it is like pushing spaghetti.

My apologies Alan for getting hold of the wrong end of the stick, and that's a very good analogy!.

Matt.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2021, 07:15:51 PM »

I have just updated my profile to include my age, I didn't realise I hadn't already done so! Anyway I'm 42.

As for age being just a number I disagree, I have worked with a large cross section of people over the years (I have been in employment since I was 14) plus I live in an area with large number of retirees and in my experience there exists a certain attitude among many of the older generation toward not only younger folks but life in general, it is hard to pin down but comes across as an arrogant self righteousness and sense of entitlement. "Baby boomers" in particular seem unable to comprehend any other point of view or accept that the world is changing. I treat everyone the same but I have unfortunately met more seriously unpleasant pensioners than I have younger people.

I would suggest we have seen this attitude manifest here on the forum recently with some responses to posts from first time owners asking basic but valid questions, e.g. "just Google it" or "do your own research" is not an appropriate response and likely puts the person off asking questions in future, it also IMHO gives the impression, rightly or wrongly that the club consists of a lot of old codgers who don't want to share knowledge or help new/younger members.

Finally Alan if you are referring to the comment I made about a Sankey being easy to move around the yard by hand perhaps I should provide some context. My yard is fairly small and with a number of vehicles parked it is simply quicker and easier to shift the trailer by hand. Living a mile from the main road up a single track lane reversing a trailer for long distances is a skill I soon learned :RHD

Interesting....  here in my part of the world (with the exception of the "just Google it" and "do your own research" aspect), it's basically the exact opposite.  I live in a community that's just about evenly split - young vs old.  Around here, the younger ones of the bunch, say late 20s and younger,  are incredibly arrogant, full of self righteousness and have a major sense of entitlement.  These youngsters, and I'm not saying all of them, just the most vocal, are starting to say the older generation should be forced out of their jobs by the age of 50 in order to make room for them.  They are also pushing that once a person reaches 60 certain medical resources should no longer be wasted on them, they are a drain on medical resources.  They are demanding so much from the country, claiming they have a right, are entitled, yet they don't seem to grasp that economies don't work like they want and can't seem to realize the money for everything they want has to come from somewhere.  This sentiment by the younger generations isn't isolated to my area either, in fact, my area is a bit more conservative.  In the bigger cities hate crimes against those of retirement age and older are on the rise.

'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Dieselhen

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 4912
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2021, 07:45:29 PM »

^^^^^
 :ditto
 :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
If I had a husband I wonder what interests he would be pursuing?
Don't anyone answer that!!!

s
x

Well, I will answer that! My late husband's interests were marine engineering, Land Rovers, boats and good beer ...and 9 years on I very much doubt if those would have changed  :cheers

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2021, 07:54:11 PM »

.... and one day the youngsters will get old. Their knees will creak and they will have to get up a couple of times in the night.

What goes round, comes round.

Anyone remember the film "Logan's Run" ???

:wooly-jumper
Who's a then ?

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2021, 08:07:54 PM »

.... and one day the youngsters will get old. Their knees will creak and they will have to get up a couple of times in the night.

What goes round, comes round.

Anyone remember the film "Logan's Run" ???

:wooly-jumper

:-* :-* :-*

Yes, I remember it, as well as other movies and TV shows with the same, or similar theme. 

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6928
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2021, 08:37:05 PM »

There is a phrase that I like very much,

Do not do to others what you would not like them to do to you.
That is respect. 

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2021, 08:39:22 PM »

....and respect has to be earned not commanded.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2021, 09:46:07 PM »

....and respect has to be earned not commanded.

I disagree, everyone deserves respect regardless of age until they loose it through their individual actions or attitudes. Advanced age does not necessarily impart experience, wisdom, humility or manners.

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2021, 12:31:14 AM »

I`m pleased to see how this thread has developed since I posted yesterday.

Genem, as a proportion of the total membership, how many ages are on the system, and do you think the spread on your chart would change very much if it reflected every member?

By the way Genem, do you has statistics on club membership by location please?

The young need to take on the stewardship of these Land Rovers if they are to survive (that is the LR, not the young). It seems inevitable that as the years increase between the cars manufacture and a potential future owner, interest in them will decrease e.g. pre-war cars are, I suggest, generally seen to be unappealing and misunderstood by all but a small band of enthusiasts and that must be because most of us alive today do not have a connection with that ere of car.

The majority of modern day car owners don't even have to lift the bonnet to check the oil & water because its done by computer. diffwhine rightly highlights the mechanical skills & knowledge being lost. We can't make youngsters want a 60 year old Land Rover, so is it nurture or nature that makes them want one  ???

I should add that although the young might well think they know everything, they do not have a monopoly on rudeness, that seems to be common across the ages. I believe this clubs membership can hold their heads high in maintaining high standards on that point  :first
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2021, 08:47:09 AM »

I am now in my mid 70's and admit I can get mildly irritated if someone asks a simple question on the forum where I know the answer is available in previous threads or in the vehicle handbook e.g. "what is the ignition timing", why didn’t they just look it up?  BUT I then have to remind myself that it is now a different world to when I first had a Land Rover, about 1966. There was no internet & we as a family didn't even have a phone in the house. Virtually all contact with my work colleagues, mates or fellow Land Rover owners in the local club, was face to face, and I am sure at the time I was asking similar sorts of questions, but they weren't in the public domain.  Also,  modern cars do not work the same way and there is no real culture of “tinkering” with them , when youngsters are growing up, so this basic knowledge will easily be lost if we are not welcoming to new younger members  .  In the digital world we must respect that asking questions on  this forum is the same as I did back in the 1960’s, face to face and freely offer advice and encourage the questions without putdown.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2021, 10:07:15 AM »

^^^^ Indeed, I had a conversation with the service manager of a reasonably local garage a couple of years ago, they admitted that they had not worked on a car you could not just plug in to get a diagnosis "since College".  This was no spotty youth, the individual was probably in their mid-30s and working at a main dealer for a major brand. When did Landrover start introducing electrickery into engines, 300 Tdi had an ECU from about 1997 - so almost a quarter of a century ago ?

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2021, 10:21:57 AM »

I`m pleased to see how this thread has developed since I posted yesterday.

Genem, as a proportion of the total membership, how many ages are on the system, and do you think the spread on your chart would change very much if it reflected every member?

By the way Genem, do you has statistics on club membership by location please?

No quite so easy to get as the graph, which is a straight lift from the "Dashboard" on Crossmember. I'll do some work with "Reports" and Excel this evening...   I suspect that if we had the age data on the whole Club it would bring the overall age up, the data we have is from recent joiners, some of the "old guard" joined in 1984, so have a 40 year head start...

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2021, 11:09:33 AM »

I've mentioned this before:

In each issue of B2L we have published a list of new members.
"Someone" could go back and check each membership number against our current list and this would tell how many years they have been a member. You could assume a base joining age of 18 (some would have been older).
The work would take hours.

BUT - what would it achieve ?
What would be any different to the membership data we have already ?

How would it help in running the club and planning for the future.

One thing the membership system can't do is record when you joined. Neither did the old system.
As Gene has posted we have members who joined when the club first started.
Member #1 (our founding father) is still with us, and many with a membership number below 1000.

We could spent hours fine tuning the age graph - but it won't vary that much from what it is now,

Respect is an interesting concept.
Both replies ^^^ in their own sense are correct.

Many of the old "motoring" home mechanic skills are being lost.

Just playing with spanners and getting your head round imperial measurements is hard enough.

Setting the tappets, plug gaps and timing (with a light bulb) are a mystery to newbies to our hobby.
We are here to teach and demonstrate some of these skills (and tricks of the trade).

:RHD

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2021, 12:08:49 PM »

One thing the membership system can't do is record when you joined. Neither did the old system.

The membership system can’t record when you joined but the Forum records when you first registered. I agree that’s not the same thing but it is at least an indication.

Date Registered: February 09, 2020, 10:41:48 PM
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2021, 12:16:09 PM »

The work would take hours.

Good points, well made Alan. I`m really not suggesting Genem or anyone spends time trawling through records only to produce something that may be interesting but not very useful.

I know that some databases do have the capability to produce a report at the touch of a few buttons and yes I would find it interesting to see some club demographics but not at the expense of it being an inordinate burden on Genem or anyone else.   

Right, I'm off for that nap  :-X
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 18 queries.