S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Radiator Shroud  (Read 1955 times)

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5565
  • .:
Radiator Shroud
« on: September 15, 2021, 05:36:32 PM »

Hi , does a radiator shroud increase cooling efficiency ?
Cheers

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
Re: Radiator Shroud
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 05:40:18 PM »

Good question... I always assumed they were there to help keep you from cutting your fingers off!

'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 07:11:58 PM »

I  have just google this , it would seem that it is only effective if the fan is on engine side of rad , makes sense ensures air is drawn across the whole of the rad , as mine is a push fan probably not make much difference ,I think the fan  I have fitted is restricting flow , cools ok when running but seems to be on a lot , back from an errand today the engine was being maintained at 85 ish with fan   running , the smiths capillary gauge and an IR thermometer  similar , measured at thermostat housing , the Smiths fitted to front heater hose port , need to get an electric fan with less restriction to air flow to the rad ,
Chris

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 07:27:16 PM »

More to the point are radiator shrouds readily available? Although I’m missing one on both I’ve only really looked for one for the six pot and I didn’t have a lot of joy.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 07:27:50 PM »

I  have just google this , it would seem that it is only effective if the fan is on engine side of rad , makes sense ensures air is drawn across the whole of the rad , as mine is a push fan probably not make much difference ,I think the fan  I have fitted is restricting flow , cools ok when running but seems to be on a lot , back from an errand today the engine was being maintained at 85 ish with fan   running , the smiths capillary gauge and an IR thermometer  similar , measured at thermostat housing , the Smiths fitted to front heater hose port , need to get an electric fan with less restriction to air flow to the rad ,
Chris

You don't have a fan between the radiator and motor, attached to the front of the motor?

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 07:45:40 PM »

No , the mechanical fan has been removed a spacer ring machined and pulley refitted , it's carried under the seat with a spanner incase of failure of the electric thermostatically controlled fan fitted in front of the rad ,
Chris

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 07:48:38 PM »

Just idle curiosity why have you replaced the original fan with electric ?  ( no judgement here of course )

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 08:04:02 PM »

There are some good reasons for putting an electric fan in place, starting with the effort required for the engine to twirl the fan about  ( I'd be interested to hear what power that uses? Is it a real saving or motor-myth?) and the additional time taken to get the engine warm in cold weather.  For those off-roading petrol vehicles the ability to switch the fan off in deep water to prevent excessive splashing in the engine bay is valuable. Another reason could be an engine conversion where there is limited space for the conventional fan - a Tdi in a Series works easier with a thin electric fan fixed to the radiator ? - that is whats happening with my ambulance conversion. Suitable electric fans and controls can very cheap from scrap-yards...

On the negative there is the chance an electric fan could fail, a mechanical one is far less likely to have issues.
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 08:17:35 PM »

A fan in front of the radiator normally only blows air through the circle of the fan itself, assuming no shroud. A fan on the engine side with a shroud will draw air through the whole of the radiator.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 08:37:28 PM »

More to the point are radiator shrouds readily available? Although I’m missing one on both I’ve only really looked for one for the six pot and I didn’t have a lot of joy.

Don't know if the one for a 6-pot is different, but here's the part number I have - 577342.  They seem to be readily available.  Not sure if the dealers in the UK do this, but here in the States you can get a kiy that contains the shroud and the cowl.

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 09:14:46 PM »

In reply as to why an electric fan , all modern cars have them , even land rovers, my V8 90 had a viscous fan to reduce power consumption when cold , so basically it's to reduce fuel consumption , decrease warm up times , or allow a tiny bit more per to the wheels. So it made sense , in my case the shortcoming is the fan itself being one from a scrap car which conveniently had a surround that fitted snugly behind the grille. I will be visiting local scrappy to find a fan that has less restriction in its surround , or one that can be mounted only on metal rod legs. It seems shrouds are rare and expensive so will better engineer current set up ,
Cheers

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 12:14:44 PM »

Back in the day when Kenlowe first started their advertising claimed 12% power increase and fuel saving.

Advertising standards have "watered" these claims down.

Electric fans do save engine power and fuel and allow the engine to warm up quicker from a cold start, thus saving engine wear.

Anyone in doubt to the "over cooling" of a military 8 blade fan going at full chat should just feel the hurricane blast of air going back over the engine. In winter I have no need of a heater in the LWT, the hot air keeps the bulkhead warm (and me).

(This cooling was there for when FFR vehicles were stationary for long periods of time and charging the batteries.)

:RHD
Who's a then ?

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6928
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 04:18:30 AM »

My thoughts are that at speeds of approximately 30 m / h or more,
the fan does not need to work, so it is just there making noise and wasting gasoline.

Including, I think without the blade, the water pump bearings could last longer.

I think this modification, along with several others, can significantly lower fuel consumption.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 09:21:54 AM »

I have recently put the mechanical fan back on mine as the electric pussher didnt seem to be man enough when the engine was working hard at very low speeds.  I have no cowl fitted but have painted the tips of the blades white as a safelt measure.

I did a round trip on Saturday of 120+ miles and the fuel consumption worked out at about 30mpg.

I am off to Wales this weekend and I am hoping to do a fuel check.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 10:25:53 AM »

I think the reason "most" if not all modern cars have electric fans these days is because the engines tend to sit the wrong way in them. All engines in front wheel drive cars are sitting sideways so very difficult to get a mechanical fan to rotate in the direction of travel.

I had a Classic Range Rover 4.2 and fitted twin electric fans to it removing the shroud to fit them in. Can't say I noticed any difference in performance, a lot of noise when they did run and extra vibration through the mountings and into the body work. They also need some pretty hefty wiring and relays so extra load on the alternator or heaven forbid, the poor dynamo in series II's

On my later 4.6 Range Rovers I've kept the standard viscous fan and they have performed perfectly.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best....

Craig.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.