S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Source for steel plates?  (Read 1514 times)

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
Source for steel plates?
« on: September 24, 2021, 11:54:01 AM »

I would like to make up the unit signs for my Australian 88" but I can't find anywhere locally who can do it.

On the off chance someone has a means of cutting it and some suitable material they are willing to sell I need some accurately cut steel plates which measure 15cm x 15.5cm x 1.5mm thick.

As said I have exhausted local options.

Thanks.

agg221

• Swivel King
Re: Source for steel plates?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 12:05:31 PM »

If no other options present themselves I can see what is in my pile of bits. I might have some suitably sized 1.5mm stock.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 12:38:01 PM »

I confess I wasn't sure exactly where Gwynedd is, so I looked on a map. It covers a sizable area.
Pick your nearest main town (Bala, Harlech, wherever) and Google Metal Fabricators, or Agricultural Engineers, near whatever town you choose, thus (Metal Fabricators near Bala).
You only want a piece of thin steel about 6" square. Cut a piece of cardboard to the size you want, write the size on it in mm or inches, then cart it round to one of the nearest addresses you have found.

Regards

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 12:50:39 PM »

You could buy a sheet from here and trim it to size yourself or get them to cut it...
https://www.metals4u.co.uk/

You can then choose from steel, zinc plated steel, aluminium etc.

If you have the means to draw the profile into a DXF file there are online laser cutting companies like SORB that can make it for you including any radiuses corners, holes etc. You may pay more for the postage than the metal however.

Craig.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 12:56:49 PM »

Thanks all.

Agg thank you I'll message if I draw a blank otherwise.

Davidss unfortunately we don't have any competent fabricators in the area who can be trusted to do it or who are willing to take on a smaller job. One would do it if I bought a full sized sheet of steel, another is too busy making gates etc for holiday cottages etc, and the nearest one I wouldn't touch with a barge pole (he has a reputation for being magnetic where others property is concerned).

Craig that looks like the route to go, thanks.

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 11:53:40 PM »

I use metals4u as advertised above alot..they cut very accurately and don't charge extra for cutting.
I don't know what the postage is on a smaller order but knowing them it's likly to be reasonable

alchad

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6825
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 10:05:06 AM »

If you don’t mind cutting it to size yourself then

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILD-STEEL-SHEET-METAL-PLATE-1MM-to-3MM-UK-SUPPLY-GUILLOTINE-CUT-/224248883764?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Alternatively check out Lasermaster UK website, 155mm x150mm x1.5mm mild steel is £6.50 +vat

Alchad

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 05:44:03 AM »

Hi,

Me? I usually just tell Ebay what I want, and where I live, let their fingers do the walking.

Does Yellow Pages still exist? In the days before the web, I'd turn to the STEEL STOCKHOLDERS pages. Such people usually stock aluminium too. My stockholder in Swansea were happy to sell nuts and bolts, in both metric and imperial "handfuls", payment in coin of the Realm. They usually had pile of scrap metal ... often just help yourself, but there might be a small charge for "quality offcuts", which somebody else had already paid for as part of a sheet, or bar, and didn't want the hassle of carrying it home.

Today, I'd just ask Ebay ... probably pay a premium, but the convenience may make it worthwhile.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 07:51:34 AM »

Hi,

Try body repair shops for steel off cuts, and coachbuilders for aluminium off-cuts.

The local firm who cobbled Barbara's wheel chair ramp, so she could drive her buggy through the front door, would presumably be able to guillotine and fold long lengths of aluminium tread plate, and presumably have "quality" off cuts.

BettyWhite

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7452
  • .:
  • Only fools think that they are wise
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 10:01:52 AM »

I have always found that the scrapyard is the best place to start.

If you ask nicely you will be surprised what you can find there, usually for a price of "scrap plus 10%".

I have sourced large sheets of aluminium, steel and stainless, sometimes for less than the price of a coffee.

It doesn't just stop at sheet materials, there may be tools and even complete workshops. not everyday (thank goodness), but over the years I have seen dozens pass through and I usually only visit once or twice a month.

I find that the smaller the yard, the more likely you will be able to establish a rapport with the staff.

Some will even keep a book where they will call you if something you want comes in.

Good luck
BW
I've given so many people a piece of my mind over the years that I haven't got much left and my give a damn was busted years ago!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.