S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Someone with knowledge of exporting stuff post-Brexit?  (Read 1935 times)

rusty66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3939
  • .:
Someone with knowledge of exporting stuff post-Brexit?
« on: September 24, 2021, 02:00:13 PM »

Greetings,

I will try my luck with you guys as well. I have been trying to find out what is involved (on a practical real-life rather than theoretical level) when getting a Richards chassis out of Britain and into the EU.

Has anyone done something like this lately? Obviously for me as a German it would mean importing someting from Britain, but from what I could gather, customs are due when the item enters the EU for the first time, so doesn't matter if it's export or import.

I was advised that I need a shipping agent, but apart from not finding one that is willing to deal with small fish like me, it seems just one additional extra fee.

Maybe those of you with connections to France or with a business know what is involved? Any tipps are greatly appreciated!

Richards told me that even if they deliver I will have to deal with customs, so I would like to drive over and pick the chassis up myself in early 2022.

Cheers,
Boris
1964 SWB
1964 LWB Carawagon

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
Re: Someone with knowledge of exporting stuff post-Brexit?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 02:17:02 PM »

Would it be easier/possible to drive your Land Rover to the UK, fit or have the new chassis fitted in the UK and just drive it home. Just looking like a holiday in the UK ???

George1990

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6900
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 02:54:30 PM »

I am almost certain that you would still pay the duty on it if you took it over yourself, as you're still exporting goods. There's no way around it other than claiming it has not been sold to you, or you can get a receipt saying it is worth less than £39 (both of which are illegal so I am not condoning it!)

Or having it fitted over here as oilstain suggests
1968 RAF 2a 88 bitsa
1980 6 pot S3 109

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 11:03:43 PM »

If Richards sell the chassis to you and you collect it in the UK, you will get a double whammy of paying 20% VAT here and then duty in the EU, so best avoid that option. That's because they have to charge VAT unless they have control over the export and have proof of export. It would be best to get Richards to move it for you into the EU and then find a local agent to help you clear it. Whoever ships it for Richards should be able to advise you of an agent who can handle this in Germany or wherever it arrives in the EU.

One second thought is only relevant if you could use an alternative supplier. Shielder Chassis are based in Northern Ireland and are governed by EU controls. They may well have what you want in stock and may be best positioned to ship it.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 11:18:44 PM »

We are supposed to try to avoid "Politics" on this Forum, but yea gods, this Brexit nonsense... I note that they have finally cracked and agreed to allow some flexibility for EU HGV drivers. In the meanwhile, no wonder so many small companies are giving up on exports.

I think the idea of asking a shipping agent in Germany for advice would be a good start ? 

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

vod80

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6312
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 07:07:30 AM »

If Richards sell the chassis to you and you collect it in the UK, you will get a double whammy of paying 20% VAT here and then duty in the EU, so best avoid that option.

I have not done anything big and I have not done anything physically across a border but the situation for stuff that I have imported into France from traders in the UK is that UK VAT is still collected on EU sales. I then pay EU VAT as well - plus EU duty.

The Irish option sounds interesting!
Not getting anywhere, fast

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 09:41:05 AM »

The only way to avoid duty is B2B from the EU to the UK or vice versa, as you are required to have an EORI number plus VAT registered plus the goods need to be declared as either UK or EU origin. I'm afraid for any private purchase you will need to add duty and VAT as you do when it comes from the US. 

BettyWhite

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7452
  • .:
  • Only fools think that they are wise
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 11:48:37 AM »

The only way to do it is to do it properly.

You will need to find an agent in Germany who will oversee the importation and ensure that the correct import declaration is made. Failure to do so is likely to cause you BIG problems as it is smuggling if you do not follow the rules.

There are plenty of people who will advise you to "bypass" the rules, DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM! It's not them that could lose their vehicle or face a fine or (possible) prison sentence.

Try asking a local trucking company (that used to come to the UK) and see if they could recommend an agent, or the local chamber of commerce should be able to help (try the town hall)

Good luck
BW
I've given so many people a piece of my mind over the years that I haven't got much left and my give a damn was busted years ago!

rusty66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3939
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 01:04:15 PM »

Many thanks for the input and suggerstions to all of you!

My problem is that so far I was unable to find a shipping/customs agent that is willing to do this (or even help me with it).

I would even pay both VATs if I have to, but I just so far couldn't find enough info on how to proceed and what I will have to do customs-wise if I self-pickup in the UK.

I would have thought that I simply declare the chassis at customs when crossing borders, using the invoice as proof, but this does not seem how it works.

I've looked into the Shielders option, but they don't offer the extras that I want (like 2nd underseat tank - to be honest I've only checked their webpage so far) and my gut feeling is that despite some slightly negative info on Richards recently here and elsewhere, they are still the place to go.

And I have thought about having it changed in the UK (obviously changing it myself is not an option for lack of space, time and logistics even though such a 'holiday' as Oilstain suggested would probably my best holiday ever). But for me the chassis swap is a once in a lifetime thing, I guess, and the journey is the goal, so I want to do this properly (painting chassis, proper nuts and bolts, loom, ...) in my shed for as long as it takes. Ideally I will remove and fit 1:1 with both old and new chassis next to each other (also to avoid problems due to bad memory), so a quick 'bodge' job will just cause later frustration, I guess.

I will ask Richards again (may also be my lack of English) and see if they can advise further. They wrote that

"it would be delivered to the required address but you would have to sort customs, taxes etc.".

And that is the thing. I don't know and can't get info on how I am to do this.

Self-pickup would also be ideal as I could get other things I need and carry them home myself. The mailorder option is horribly expensive post-Brexit with not only customs but also a 'handling' fee for any purchase by the courier. Good old times when I could just buy an oil filter element at Paddocks and some other consumables and have it at my door for a fiver ...

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 02:09:53 PM »

I have no personal experience of this, but how about talking to these people, who appear to be able to offer a complete service.

https://internationalforwarding.co.uk/destinations/shipping-to-europe/shipping-to-germany/
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 03:28:06 PM »

We are supposed to try to avoid "Politics" on this Forum, but yea gods, this Brexit nonsense... I note that they have finally cracked and agreed to allow some flexibility for EU HGV drivers. In the meanwhile, no wonder so many small companies are giving up on exports.

I think the idea of asking a shipping agent in Germany for advice would be a good start ?

Some of us seem more hung up on the politics than others tbh.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 07:47:55 PM »

According to the UK Govt you should not be getting charged VAT at the UK end, exports are "Zero Rated". The German authorities though, will be another matter...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-exports-dispatches-and-supplying-goods-abroad

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2021, 07:53:08 PM »

That was my understanding as well.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2021, 08:04:14 PM »

Some of us seem more hung up on the politics than others tbh.

Odd. We are members of the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs, an organisation that spends most of its efforts lobbying politicians about matters affecting our hobby - Historic status, MOT exemption, E10 fuel and the like, we debate these issues endlessly - but when the ridiculous Brexit plan impacts on our members ability to purchase parts and move them easily around the globe etc , the subject is deemed "Political" and we are not allowed to point out who is actually to blame for the problem.

Its BREXIT. It was a silly idea that has damaged our ability to trade with our nearest neighbours, exactly as was predicted. That is a simple fact.

And, Alan, If my comments are further Censored you can expect my resignation.

:tiphat

Gene.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2021, 08:35:15 PM »

Its BREXIT. It was a silly idea ...
And, Alan, If my comments are further Censored you can expect my resignation.

BUT, those who see Brexit as an improvement for the country as a whole, that is overall bigger than any hobby, and recognise the road may be a little bumpy for a while, WE have to put up with being called 'silly' while you trumpet your prejudices.

Perhaps it's time for you to accept your own advice to others;
'Unpleasant and uncalled for remark Edited out.  Play nice people or don't post. '.

Regards.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.