S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I told you I was cursed.  (Read 1080 times)

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
I told you I was cursed.
« on: September 25, 2021, 12:10:14 AM »

Not cursed so much as just having the unerring ability to turn even the simplest task into a mission. I swapped my 88” roof with a “new” tropical roof today. Getting the old roof off was easy enough and for the most part putting the new roof on went ok, 2 holes needed a bit of attention with a drill but nothing out of the ordinary. Then it came to swapping over the front door top seals which were secured by 10 slotted pan head set screws which of course were rusted solid and as I’d already taken the roof off I couldn’t soak them in plusgas, it would have been better if I’d soaked them before I started taking the roof off but I didn’t and so that’s yet another thing to chalk up to experience. The slots were old and rusted so I got my Lidl dremmel and cut the slots a bit deeper but it was hopeless so I ended up using the Dremmel to grind the heads enough to chisel them off. Just as I was getting towards the end the blade started jamming and it needed tightening up which I did a couple of times and on the third time I over tightened it and managed to break the plastic locking mechanism which locks the chuck in place. As if that wasn’t bad enough to add insult to injury I had bought 10 replacement set screws and the only ones they had in stock of the right size were Allen key heads so to save mucking about I bought an Allen key as well. When I started fitting them I found the Allen key was the wrong size  :shakeinghead Ok, I dug out the right sized key and carried on with the job until I came to fit the 9th set screw and it was the wrong size, yes you’ve guessed, it was the same size as the Allen key, what are the chances  ??? So I found a nut of the right size and fitted that instead. I’ll drop into Toolmaster and change it if I’m passing but I’m not making a special journey just for one fixing so I suspect that in a few decades time when it’s time for the roof to be looked at again I’ll be cursed as yet another idiot PO, and they’ll be right.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
Re: I told you I was cursed.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 09:21:54 AM »

And we all do this for fun…..?   ???

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 11:54:51 AM »

No. You are not cursed.

It happens to us all.

If it did not happen, that would be worrying......
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 03:15:20 PM »

Reminds me of that song / ditty about the bucket of bricks on a pulley trying to get them up to the scaffolding 🤣

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 03:31:00 PM »

It's a Land Rover thing.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Klaxon

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 85
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 07:13:56 PM »

I am glad somebody else has the same affliction as myself......
A good steam clean ended up being a complete rebuild.....steam clean caused the fuel tank to leak, remove tank,find out riggers like biscuits,a good bash around the rear chassis and here I go again. (it was a series 3)
This afternoon I decided to replace a holed exhaust down pipe (all fasteners were good and not corroded) so about half hour job....wrong, the pipes I had in stock wont fit..wrong shape so it means cutting and welding, they were bought off the floor at an autojumble years ago very cheap !!

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 07:50:56 PM »

I’m so glad it’s not just me. Another tale of woe to add to the previous story is that I took my “proper” car to get the fixings which included the wrong one, it was the only time I took the car out that day and the following morning My front right tyre had a puncture caused by a 25mm wood screw which almost certainly came from the parking bay outside Toolmaster. It can’t be repaired because I’d driven on it too far so I’m now waiting for a £105 Bridgestone to be delivered.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 08:43:53 PM »

Reminds me of that song / ditty about the bucket of bricks on a pulley trying to get them up to the scaffolding 🤣

H Betsy1969,

It's been many years since I heard (read) that story, and in my version,  it involved an injured workman asking for sick-leave, following in incident involving the afore-mentioned bucket wheel barrow full of bricks, and one of those tall "Fred Dibnah " factory chimneys. As you suggest, the incident went on for ever.

Only slightly different, was my incident on a motor cycle, on Penang Island.

I departed for work one morning on the bike, came to the first junction, slowed down, and checked the road to my right.

Nothing coming, so opened the throttle.

Back wheel slid away, so I stepped of, but didn't let go of the twist grip.

The bike reared up, as it accelerated away.

I closed the throttle, front wheel dropped, dragging me with it. I finished up lying ACROSS the saddle, still hanging onto the twist grip.

The jerk of hitting the ground caused me to yank the twist grip, and the bike reared up again.

I closed the throttle ....

I reckon that sequence happened half a dozen times, over about a hundred yards, before I eventually managed a soft landing, where-upon, the bike fell over. I got straight back on the bike, and away, as I knew Barbara would be watching to see me passing a gap in the houses.

That was my only visit to the Ozzie Sick Bay, to get my fore-arm sprayed with "Honda Rash" (that purple dye stuff). We all rode in shorts, and short sleeved shirts, but the Military insisted we wore helmets.

Nobody caught on video. Doh!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.