S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Springs  (Read 2608 times)

MikeT

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6272
  • .:
Springs
« on: October 11, 2019, 02:15:24 PM »

I need to purchase new springs, I’m after advice on best place to purchase a full set of parabolic springs and dampers. Assuming the advice is to fit parabolic not original type.
Thanks

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5393
Re: Springs
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 04:18:47 PM »

I won't fit parabolics to mine as they raise the height of the vehicle. My workshop is restricted for height.

Ordinary springs are OK.
Tim

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 04:48:29 PM »

The first question (as always with this type of topic) to ask ... "What you you use your vehicle for?"
Is it a daily driver, do you do frequent towing and/or shift heavy loads ?
If you do, parabolic springs may well work for you.

For normal Land Rover type use, standard springs and shocks will work just fine.
It's like comparing apples and pears.
60 year old rusted up springs vs brand new (quality) OE spec springs.
Some years ago all the glossy Landie mags raved on about parabolic springs and how they gave a feather bed ride.
Tosh and nonsense, they won't. There are several British spring makers now producing decent and long lasting OE springs (and parabolics).
You'll need to price up and see, but the cheapest won't necessarily be the best.
I've not bought new springs for some time so can't help.
I did buy a set of gas shocks once - £40 each (Pro Comp IIRC) and they were rubbish.
Can't beat decent OE shocks, but try 1-ton shocks all round if you have a SWB, they seem to work better, for me.

Parabolic springs will raise the vehicle height by about 2". This makes it easier to roll under and do repair work without using a jack or axle stands - BUT as posted, might mean it won't fit in your garage (or under council barriers at the tip).
You also have to consider the length of the flexi brake hoses.
And if the rear prop shaft is old (and worn) the change in angle can be enough for the shaft to grumble.

As ever - it might help you make your mind up if you can beg a ride/drive on one already fitted with parabolic springs.

:wooly-jumper
Who's a then ?

MikeT

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 05:15:37 PM »

Thanks for the advise. I pick parabolics  as I Had read somewhere it was the best thing to fit. The springs that are on now are original as far as I know. It’s a total rebuild so really would like to fit new, but you have now made me think which type to fit?

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 05:35:26 PM »

Depending on what you want to do you can have a run in mine - it's just a timing thing at the moment  :cool ;)

MikeT

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 11:03:32 PM »

Thanks Rob

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 06:05:57 PM »

I have 3 series, I with Rockey Mountain parapolics, one thing I hate with parabolic ride is the way it vibrates over rumble strips, the tool boxs jump into the air and driving over a sleeping policeman is like driveing over a real one >:(
(the other 2 series handle them much better)
BUT except for the mentioned issues the ride is better with parabolics

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 09:20:26 AM »

Standard springs react very well to being taken off, the leaves separating, all the *&%^$ and rust being cleaned off.  On assembly lubricate then refit.

I have a brake cleaner spray filled with a mixture of diesel and waxoyl (I have had a large drum of waxoyl for years).  Periodically I jack it up under the chassis to get the weight off the springs then dose each side with the mixture.  I find that it creeps between the leaves and helps keep them flexing.

Have you noticed that if you make a reasonably long journey in the rain the suspension improves as the water gets between the spring leaves but is much worse afterwards as the rust build up and causes the leaves to bind.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 10:04:16 AM »

I have the Heystee parabolic's fitted and are very comfortable - well at least for a Land Rover. Unfortunately they are no longer supplied but the construction is spot on, Heystee uses nylon spacers between the leaves so there is no metallic contact, you don't need to lubricate them as they are self lubricated, my springs are 16 year old (came with George) and they are still as good as the day they were fitted, plus you can still buy the nylon spacers and buffers which fit on the rear springs - it's a pity no one else offers this design. You can see the spacer on the left of this photo.

RobS

shiel777

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1701
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 10:24:29 PM »

Parabolic springs themselves are like apples and pears Rocky Mountain on my 88 2a could be considered halfway to coils and require decent shocks, cheapo ones on my 86 barely any better than standard and require standard shocks, FFR springs on my 109 SW *&%^$ awful and don't need shocks except to spare the chassis

GRMac

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6064
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 12:13:49 AM »

Have you noticed that if you make a reasonably long journey in the rain the suspension improves as the water gets between the spring leaves but is much worse afterwards as the rust build up and causes the leaves to bind.

Denso tape  :first

Or leather gaiters if you're feeling very posh...

espacekiller

• Chassis welder
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 01:18:08 PM »

I have considered the denso tape before does it work well even for a daily driver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.