S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trailer test ... nobody told me.  (Read 1710 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Trailer test ... nobody told me.
« on: August 27, 2021, 05:45:33 AM »

Hi,

I just found this, while looking for something else.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/safety-fears-over-plans-to-scrap-trailer-towing-test/ar-AANLUgm?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Does it affect me?

The last I read, was that trailer training was "advisable", but that was a few years ago.

Hmm! Barbara's trailer training was in a new Moskvitch van, pulling a new Sprite Alpine (12ft caravan) from half way down the M4, via Notting Hill, to Croydon, through the Saturday morning shoppers. (Tooting Street, etc). That would have been almost exactly 50 years ago, and I have no recollection of her towing anything since.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Re: Trailer test ... nobody told me.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 08:21:16 AM »

The shortage of drivers ( and other low-paid workers) is entirely self inflicted and should have been foreseen. It has a fairly simple remedy but to admit more EU drivers would be embarrassing. We are therefore going to relax HGV drivers hours, make it easier to pass the test and now, apparently, free up testers time too by removing the basic trailer test. A good friend of my father was killed by a tired HGV driver who drove into the back of his vehicle, I've been bulldozed off the road into a river by another. The last thing we need to be doing is playing games with HGV safety.

In the meanwhile, out of interest I looked at the plethora of delivery van driver jobs currently on offer. Almost all were on some form of "self-employed" basis, paid by number of deliveries achieved rather than an hourly rate, most of the adverts included lines like "and there is always the option to do more....", "Skys the limit...." etc. An obvious push to get drivers to do longer shifts. Dangerous and exploitative.

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 08:35:14 AM »

What I don't understand is if there were 2.6 million unemployed people (April 2021), why 100,000 HGV drivers can't be trained up and put to work.

The solution would be to sort out the training process so it's quick and efficient and not bogged down in pointless bureaucracy.

Chris.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 11:18:39 AM »

Let us not forget that the pandemic put HGV testing on hold for a very long time, so that has impacted on the number of new UK based HGV drivers being available.

But hey, it's easier to blame everything on Brexit. ;)
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 05:43:22 PM »

Considering the number of trailers/caravans I see on a daily basis that are being driven illegally (speeding, using right lane on motorway) badly or overloaded, or not connected to the tow vehicle properly I must regard the idea of scrapping the trailer test as insane. Likewise any reduction in the test standards for HGV drivers.
I have my class 2. Useful in lean times to keep food on the table, but until such work offers at least half decent pay and conditions it will be a non-starter. Why would anyone want to be on the road for weeks on end, on poor pay, with no sick pay or other benefits, and treated like dirt by everyone you deal with? At least on the continent, and in the US it's a respected profession.
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 07:17:52 PM »

Hi,

Months ago I watched the refuse truck (17 tons) do a precision reverse the full length of our cul-de-sac. I went over complimented him on his reversing. Got a smile in return. I still give him a "thumbs up" when we pass, and get a wave in return. Would he just be a "natural", or professionally trained, or even ex-army?

I have heard of a WRAF driver, with every possible group on her licence, all paid for by the RAF. I have been in a "mistletoe" clinch (long time ago) with the WRAF who drove our Scammel Explorer. And last week, I met a young lady loading wheelie bins into the bin lorry.  :tiphat

Many years ago (1940's maybe 1950's), the cheap way of getting a full driving licence was to join the Civil Defence. Does that organisation still exist?

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 07:54:14 AM »

Considering the number of trailers/caravans I see on a daily basis that are being driven illegally (speeding, using right lane on motorway) badly or overloaded, or not connected to the tow vehicle properly I must regard the idea of scrapping the trailer test as insane. Likewise any reduction in the test standards for HGV drivers.
I have my class 2. Useful in lean times to keep food on the table, but until such work offers at least half decent pay and conditions it will be a non-starter. Why would anyone want to be on the road for weeks on end, on poor pay, with no sick pay or other benefits, and treated like dirt by everyone you deal with? At least on the continent, and in the US it's a respected profession.

I disagree about the trailer test, many of the idiots who drive over the limit with a trailer and in the wrong lane would do so even if they had taken a trailer test.  Look how many break the road rules when driving solo.

As an aside for 602, my mum was a WAAF driver during the second world war and left with an all groups licence.  I have seen her reverse a 4 wheel turntable trailer into an exact position first time on numerous occassions when haymaking on the farm so that the second trailer could be connected.  One of her illegal jobs during the war was drving the bomb train when arming bombers (WAAFS were not allowed to do this as it was too dangerous), she also drove petrol bowsers and buses.  All this pales into insignificance though compared with the young female ferry pilots who delivered lancaster bombers from the factory to the bomber bases, flying solo.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 08:29:15 AM »

I disagree about the trailer test, many of the idiots who drive over the limit with a trailer and in the wrong lane would do so even if they had taken a trailer test.  Look how many break the road rules when driving solo.

Quite possibly, and most of that is due to the complete disappearance of roads policing. But the test at least means they have been given correct instruction which most do seem to follow. I'd say non-compliance is the exception rather than the rule, although still frighteningly common.

Sadly if we follow the logic we would end up doing away with driving tests altogether 🤷‍♂️

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 08:42:43 AM »

Hi Peter,

Doh! Memory again!

Who was the ferry pilot believed "lost" in the Thames Marshes (where-ever they are).  I know SHE was somebody famous.

Some of my memory still works, and is telling me that a Lancaster had a 128ft (nearly 40 metres?) wingspan.

A new Lancaster was delivered to it's operational airfield. A young lady climbed out, and was promptly asked "Where's the pilot?"

There's something in my memory banks, about a television programme (series?) dedicated to these brave ladies. Anyone?

PS. A little know film, staring Dirk Bogarde ... "Appointment in London" is dedicated to "Those who were unable to keep their appointment".

PPS. A friend of my son's was recovering a break-down on the M4 ...  killed by an HGV with a sleeping driver.

PPPS. I drove my own car, as a self employed mini-cab owner/driver, for a year after leaving the RAF. I gave up when, in the wee hours, I would look at my speedo, or mirror, or whatever ... and forget to look back at the road. Scarey!

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 05:10:19 PM »

Hi,

I just found this, while looking for something else.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/safety-fears-over-plans-to-scrap-trailer-towing-test/ar-AANLUgm?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Does it affect me?

The last I read, was that trailer training was "advisable", but that was a few years ago.

Hmm! Barbara's trailer training was in a new Moskvitch van, pulling a new Sprite Alpine (12ft caravan) from half way down the M4, via Notting Hill, to Croydon, through the Saturday morning shoppers. (Tooting Street, etc). That would have been almost exactly 50 years ago, and I have no recollection of her towing anything since.

The trailer test was brought in a few years ago for newly qualified drivers. The idea was to aid safety, and bring in some more funds ?
It was recently discontinued, probably to free up tests for HGV drivers. I understand that licences will be automatically upgraded.
Does not say what happens to those who paid for trailer training and tests ?

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 06:34:29 PM »

^^^^ Or, indeed, those who made a living out of training trailer drivers, had invested in kit and equipment, trailers etc. This affects a friend of mine who now needs to revert to ordinary car driver training and will probably have to sell at a loss several nearly new trailers.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 11:55:06 AM »

Hi,

I believe the Caravan Club (and just maybe the RAC) do trailer training, at a more mundane level.

I assume there is a charge, but I don't know if you have to risk your own caravan.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 19 queries.