S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: OT, brief, reply not needed.  (Read 3672 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
OT, brief, reply not needed.
« on: October 13, 2019, 08:23:14 AM »

Hi,

A couple END OF SAGAs

Yesterday I found myself holding my lost hearing aid. I have no idea where I got it from.  :stars  £1,000 saved.

I have accepted an offer of £400 for the Jimny, from a WE BUY ANY CAR company. Collect tomorrow. Full tank of petrol.  :thud

I suggested to Barbara that a new DACIA LOGAN is an impressive bit of kit for the money. Huge? She said it doesn't have enough "bells and whistles".

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
Re: OT, brief, reply not needed.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 09:23:23 AM »

Drain or siphon the petrol out for goodness sake.. ;)

Dentman

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2297
  • .:
  • RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:52:52 AM »

You DO know the company will take that fuel as a bonus?
The next punter won't benefit from your generosity  :thud
Why Why Why Delilah ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 05:36:59 PM »

Hi Dentman,

I mentioned the full tank when describing the vehicle.

In  my boringly civilised residential street, I am not programmed to store lots of petrol. I do have ONE jerry can ... somewhere, but frankly can't be naffed to suck it out ... and anyway, I'd be reluctant to pour it into Barbara's car (still only done about 2,500 miles since last Summer.

Two houses ago, I had a Maran cockeral that crowed at 2.30AM every morning, a couple of pigs in the pig-sty, and a half-shire mare and her foal in the coal cellar, several Land Rovers (or bits of), a Grey Fergie in the lane, a Suzuki 250cc Quad in the garage ... plus several more ponies, and a billy goat on my 7.5 acres, up the hill. For some reason, the neighbours seemed to love us all. ??? Maybe they thought I was better than the alternative .... at least two young car crims have died in the back lane behind us, one neighbour came home at 3AM and was savaged by what he called a pit-bull.

Hmmm! that PB thingy got my terrier by the throat. The owner just stood there, said it wouldn't let go until my dog was dead. Barbara and a friend tried to persuade it to let go, bucket of water, hitting with sticks. No avail. Eventually Barbara hit it between the eyes with a house brick. It let go.

A week later, it's owner came home and was savaged by his dog. Ambulance, fire engine, dog handlers, etc. Eventually it was shot by a police marksman. at 3AM. It all happens in the Swansea Valley.

Barbara was concerned that she might have damaged it's brain. Don't mess with Welsh women (Google "Jemina the Great" ... i think it was twelve French soldiers that SHE captured when foreign troops last landed on British soil).

602 (Who still

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 06:35:39 PM »

HI,

The recovery truck arrived. driver got out, glanced at the Zuke, offered me £200. I said "No!" So he raised it to £250. I said "No!". We had a few more works, fairly amicable, and he departed.

I think I'll check the local rag, see what the main dealers are offering. It wasn't so long ago that one dealer was offering £3,000 as "Scrappage", but memory says it was for something I didn't want ... possibly Vauxhall ??? What is their reputation nowadays?

What does a JAGO GEEP body shell sell for these days? Although I'm quite taken by the DACIA  LEGUS (or bsomerthing mloke that ... primitive but huge. £8,000ish I think. Vauxhall were offering £3,000 trade in against new. What is their reputation like these days?

We need an automatic ... just in case they eventually get round to sorting Barbara's knees. I wonder if they are "prevaricating"?

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 07:20:15 PM »

Kia offering 2500 scrappage currently

Daisythelandy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5411
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 07:31:51 PM »

A friend was looking at the Dacia range until he found out about the Euro NCAP safety rating for the whole Dacia range, very poor compared the modern standards, they don't tell you that in the adverts.... Three stars for most and only one model got four stars. Most cars these days have five stars, guess what he got, a good second hand VW with five star rating for the same money as a new Duster.
You pays yer money.....

Dave.
Dave and Daisy the 66 Landie.
Over 30 years of ownership and still smiling..

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 08:01:15 PM »

You'll have fun trying to syphon fuel out of a modern car - they have anti-syphoning devices in the filler tube - also to stop fuel spilling out when the car goes inverted.

Draining the tank won't be that easy, most don't have a drain plug like our Land Rovers  :shakeinghead
Some tanks are double skinned.

Your best and easiest method is to stick a screwdriver into the tank, near the bottom, leaving enough fuel for them to start the engine and run it onto the lorry.
Most/all tanks are plastic these days.

Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 07:09:18 AM »

Your best and easiest method is to stick a screwdriver into the tank, near the bottom, leaving enough fuel for them to start the engine and run it onto the lorry. Most/all tanks are plastic these days.

Hi Wittsend,

"Oooo ... you are naughty" Lucky I didn't, else the no sale would have left me with the problem. As my mother used to say ... "Beware, your sins will find you out!" My Mun was very moral ... unless the other bloke started it first. As a nurse at the TB sanitorium at Coombe Wood (above Croydon), she sent one of the doctors a Valentine card ... with the heart shape cut out of kipper. And as a trainee nurse (presumably in Glasgow) it was her who cleared a swimming pool by introducing a frog. But she was very moral in other matters. She didn't tell me about the antics of the two young ladies in the bed-sit opposite (no curtains), until after they had moved out.  :thud

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 08:37:53 AM »

Sounds like a proper sleazy bunch of rissoles that came round 602, make a decent offer on the phone and then chop it in half on arrival in the hope that the seller just wants rid of it asap, I bet they try that every single vehicle they collect... :shakeinghead

Daisythelandy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5411
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 07:46:08 PM »

Sounds like a proper sleazy bunch of rissoles that came round 602, make a decent offer on the phone and then chop it in half on arrival in the hope that the seller just wants rid of it asap, I bet they try that every single vehicle they collect... :shakeinghead

Yes, 'We Buy Any Car' did that with me too. I told them to get stuffed and sold the car to a friend of mine for the same money as the phone quote, WBAC said all the extras don't count....  Oh yeah?  If you look on an 'Honest John's' car lot they do and that's where these cars end up.

Dave.

nanuq

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 12:42:04 AM »

I recently offered to excess my son's Ford 1/2 ton 4WD pickup truck.  He's moved to a village in the arctic where the mode of transportation is 4-wheelers or snowmachines, no drivers' licenses are necessary, or even offered.  It was a nice big thing with 300 cubic inch straight six engine.  Gobs of torque, only 90k miles on the clock.  Boy that would have been nice in the Series........    :'(

Nobody wanted to pay anything much for it, because it wasn't pretty.  So I called Vehicles for Veterans and they picked it up.  They sell it for what they can and the proceeds go straight to caring for wounded soldiers.

I figure that's the best last purpose that truck could have.  Maybe there's something similar in your side of the pond?

Big-chris

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3365
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 03:10:09 AM »

Sent you pm regarding your Jimny  :tiphat
Never argue with an idiot! They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!

Big-chris

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3365
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 11:43:43 PM »

A conversation took place, a day was mutually agreed and deal was completed with an old fashioned handshake...

Always good to meet great people  :cheers  :tiphat

End of a chapter, start of a new beginning..

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 05:08:23 AM »

Hi Big Chris,

I assume you got home OK? Have you given the Zuke a "a bit of welly" yet?

Pretty please ... can you send me a copy of that photo ... for Barbara's collection, you understand.

I was going to address you as BC ... but then I remember that was the name of a character in a cartoon strip, proprietor of ...

BC's USED WHEEL LOT. Actually, the wheels were big round stones with a hole in the middle. BC was a caveman.
Anybody here remember him? He probably featured in the Daily Sketch about 60 years ago.

I'll get my coat.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 25 queries.