S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zenith Carb - what's this thing?  (Read 2263 times)

AP-IIA

• Chassis welder
  • .:
Re: Zenith Carb - what's this thing?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2021, 11:10:07 PM »

I found a plug at my local plumbing supply.  The salesman had a good laugh when he asked what I wanted it for, but was then very helpful.  Interestingly, the plug only screws in part way.  The hole appears to be tapered. But I put some Loc-tite on it and hopefully that'll do the trick.  But now I have more problems - see next post.

AP-IIA

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2021, 11:21:30 PM »

A couple of sources on the web (ex. https://www.roversnorth.com/files/Graphics/instructions/RNC959I.pdf ) recommend sealing a superfluous port in the bottom half of the carb body by inserting a piece of o-ring. I followed the instructions, but when assembling the halves, I realized that the holes on my carb don't seem to match the ones in the article. The position of the extra and the one in use next to it appear to be reversed.  Then I noticed that there might be another extra port that the gasket only partially covers, so I'm wondering if I should plug that one too.

Does anyone have experience with something like this?   I've attached some photos that might explain this better.

Thanks

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2021, 11:29:45 PM »

I found a plug at my local plumbing supply.  The salesman had a good laugh when he asked what I wanted it for, but was then very helpful.  Interestingly, the plug only screws in part way.  The hole appears to be tapered. But I put some Loc-tite on it and hopefully that'll do the trick.  But now I have more problems - see next post.

....the plugs also come in a taper fit
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2021, 09:23:23 AM »

I've heard about blocking the port in the carb but never known why they suggest it. Personally I have never done it and never had a problem so I will continue not doing it.
The one they show in their instructions is however the wrong one, that does line up with a drilling on the cover so I wouldn't block it. They say if the other hole leaks it will syphon fuel into the intake but that is also hard to believe as the hole and gasket is above the fuel level in the float chamber. More likely just to suck in a tiny bit of fuel vapour as the float chamber is vented.

As for the hole near the float not blocked by your gasket, leave it alone. It's the same on all the gaskets I have here and a quick compressed air blow down the hole shows it doesn't go anywhere either. It looks like an overflow hole if the needle valve fails and the float bowl fills right to the top. Maybe some carbs had a drain hole out the side to allow the overflow to drain away safely.

These carbs were used on a number of vehicles, not just Land Rovers so there was different types out there.

Craig.

AP-IIA

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2021, 09:55:22 PM »

Thanks, that's really helpful. 
Incidentially, I found some other gaskets online at this site:  https://classiccarbs.com.au/Classic-Carburettors/Carburettor-Overhaul-Kits-and-Parts-listed-by-manufacturer-/ZENITH-UK-Europe-Carburettor-Overhaul-Kits/Zenith-UK-and-Europe-Carburettor-Gasket-Kits/Zenith-36IVT-38IVT-Ford-Zephyr-V4-V6-Gasket-Kit

They have a photo comparing 3 gaskets. It looks like my gasket is BGP243, the other two have a lobe that either covers or blocks that extra hole I have. But of course there are other differences too.

whitehillbilly64

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6702
  • .:

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2021, 05:16:58 PM »

Hi,

It's just possible that you will find plumbing fittings, such as blanking plugs in your TOOLSTATION catalogue (Every "technical" library/bookshelf should have a copy). It's free!

PS. I spent a lot of time, in France, looking for a 22mm compession coupler. It slowly sank in that, in France, the pipes are metric, but all compession fittings are BSP.  :thud

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.