S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How long is a piece of 'fluence?  (Read 1126 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
How long is a piece of 'fluence?
« on: November 04, 2021, 08:04:55 AM »

Hi,

A quick Google reveals that an electric vehicle battery pack costs about £5000. An acceptable sum ... for starters.

A search for the cost of electric canal boat motors comes up with about £200 ... for a complete outboard motor, propeller and all. Not what I was looking for, so back to the drawing board.

The impression that I am getting is that we are expected to buy a new battery powered car, and scrap it when the batteries die. It will probably need a second set of tyres at the same time ... tyres will be illegal at five years anyway. But would that include the emergency spare? And will there still be a need for an MOT?

If everybody panic buys a battery car, or even an IC or CI car, at the last minute, they won't be back in the showroom for five years ... then all return on the same day. (I can dream, can't I?) I don't think the manufactures will be too happy.

What are battery powered cars like at towing caravans, and other trailers? Will Road Hauliers have to replace their tractor units after five years?

Back to the drawing board.

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
Re: How long is a piece of 'fluence?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 08:20:04 AM »

You are overlooking the fact that electric vehicle technology is advancing at a tremendous rate.

What is true today will be obsolete in 2 years, let alone 5.

So any concerns now will vanish in a puff of electrons in the not too distant future.

Chris.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 09:14:59 AM »

Hi Chris,

So ... due to lack of interest, tomorrow will be cancelled?

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 09:45:20 AM »

You are overlooking the fact that electric vehicle technology is advancing at a tremendous rate.

What is true today will be obsolete in 2 years, let alone 5.

That's supposed to persuade people to buy electric, but also more persuasively to postpone buying electric because it will be cheaper, last longer, and generally be better in 2-5 years time.

Petrol cars have become almost universal because they are so cheap secondhand yet also so useable even when 10 - 20 years old. So there is something for everyone - they are affordable by almost all.
I've never spent more than £3,000 on a car, and that felt like a lot. When am I going to be able to buy a secondhand electric car in excellent condition with a battery good for another few hundred thousand miles for that sort of price?

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 10:27:07 AM »

Dream on ...

Do you really think that electricity will be sold at the price per unit it is today ???

The revenue/taxes made on dino fuel will be loaded onto electricity.

As someone once commented:- There's only two certainties in life; Death and Taxes.

:snowman-1
Who's a then ?

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 11:46:49 AM »

As someone once commented:- There's only two certainties in life; Death and Taxes.

That someone was Benjamin Franklin.

Franklin is dead now, and no longer being taxed.

Something to look forward to?
  :face_ponder
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 01:59:00 PM »

An interesting comment elsewhere, EVs may be just a phase, with Hydrogen powered vehicles being the long term solution. They'd certainly require less in the way of "rare" metals for batteries etc. 
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

linesrg

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 04:05:53 PM »

An interesting comment elsewhere, EVs may be just a phase, with Hydrogen powered vehicles being the long term solution. They'd certainly require less in the way of "rare" metals for batteries etc.

The amount of cobalt being used in "lithium" batteries is reducing with each evolution and there is plenty of lithium about. They need platinum for hydrogen fuel cells currently don't they although, again, they are working on replacements.

You have to admire the fossil fuel lobby for continuing the hydrogen misinformation campaign - how many fossil fuel "lobbyists" were there at COP26?  There is a place for hydrogen but I would be very surprised if it will be for cars.

Regards

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.