S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cabin Fever ... and now Xmas.  (Read 863 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Cabin Fever ... and now Xmas.
« on: December 04, 2021, 11:44:30 PM »

Hi,

I've contemplated my navel for long enough, so I'm now back into "WHAT IF" mode. So ....

New S2 chassis and bulkhead (removable gearbox X-member), springs and shox. Keep most of original body. Keep both axles (though a 4x2 front axle would be preferred). Keep original steering (though an S3 steering box comes with a steering lock, and will accept boy-racer steering wheels).

Fabricate a sub-frame to sit on the original mounts and removable X-member. If the option is permissable, I'm thinking of swapping the engine mounts, side to side, OR, fit two short mounts, OR two long mounts, although what I thinking could probably be achieved on a standard layout but it would de-simplify the afore-mentioned fabricated sub-frame.

Fit a battery driven canal boat motor, or an electric fork-truck motor, or an electric milk-float motor. Both fork-trucks and milk-floats seemed to manage on regular lead-acid batteries, but were not expected to do many miles each day. I don't know about canal boats, but they tend to not do many miles running each day.  I do not foresee myself doing more than about ten miles per day. I usually do six miles, plus an extra one mile on Saturdays, to fetch the Mail and Telegraph.

I was thinking ten Disco batteries at £100 (then) each, each with its own charger, outside the front door. I'm guessing I'd need ten car battery chargers ... and probably an isolator switch between each battery when charging.

I'll get my coat.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Cabin Fever ... and now Xmas.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 12:04:20 AM »

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 10:06:08 AM »

Starting at £150,000 + base vehicle... Not probably on my shopping list.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 10:47:07 AM »

Some London firm were offering elec. conversion kits for series LR and Morris Minors, ( poss the the two most popular classics)
I think they were 10 grand a time, which is ten grand more than I've got... If I ever went down an elec route it'd have to be diy only, then as discussed elsewhere, you're into battle with dvla and insurance no doubt..
I suspect they don't really want people doing this kind of stuff, rather they want you to put your life in hock with leasing schemes on new elec vehicles.. Money money money again...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.