S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Insurance. Interesting but do your own research.  (Read 675 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Insurance. Interesting but do your own research.
« on: December 08, 2021, 11:30:42 AM »

Hi,

I was lying in my "reesting pit", pondering, as I do ... and my thoughts turned to insurance requirements for a towed "scrapper". Google provided the following....

Cars tend to be towed if they have broken down and need to be moved to a location for repair or they are being taken to a breakers yard.

But whatever the reason for hooking another car to yours, the law has a say on what you must and must not do. There are a few simple rules covering who can drive a vehicle that is being towed.

If you are towing a car that is connected to the driven vehicle by a bar it is treated as a trailer. Therefore, it doesn’t need insurance.

If a rope or chain is used to link the two cars, the towed vehicle must be insured.

The ‘steersman’ behind the wheel of a towed car is considered to be a driver and must hold a valid driving licence.

I believe a car being taken to a place where it will be permanently dismantled by prior arrangement is exempt from VED and MOT.

It's probably best if you do your own research. In the meantime, regard this mail as a "search for irrelevant knowledge".

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Insurance. Interesting but do your own research.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 11:46:50 AM »

Hi,

Slightly OT, but a favourite RAF Trade Test question was ... "How long is a tow-rope?"

Memory says it's between 5ft and 15ft.

On one memorable occasion, a panic stricken Morris 1000 driver squeezing between two of our Leyland Hippos (possibly carrying unpleasant war-heads. Some of the convoy trucks travelled empty), suddenly realised that they were linked by a solid draw-bar.  :agh

A Google for RAF X-FLIGHT VEHICLES IMAGES might (or might not) produce some interesting pics.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.