S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What other Land Rovers do you have?  (Read 11257 times)

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
Re: What other Land Rovers do you have?
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2020, 08:11:49 PM »

My Wolf running wild  :agh in the countryside   :grinder
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

Bemm52

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6372
  • .:
  • 1966 2A 88" Quids or Dollars?
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2020, 09:28:19 AM »

Red Puma is the wife's but I still have to service it ???.............Rest mine :cheers
Cheers Paul

Ray Clayton

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7124
  • .:
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2020, 07:36:26 PM »

Our front drive

:cheers
Cheers

Ray

1962 Series 2a 109
Discovery 4

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2020, 11:13:43 PM »

Hi.

It depends what you mean by "have".

In model name order (not necessarily running) .. an 80" (sold  to the other Wheelright brother (not Alan) an 86" (My first S1) , an S1 LWB TC ( I didn't know they came two denominations) which I drove in the mid-1980s snows in Wales), lots of S1 88" (bought, got thru a MOT and sold) Similarly lots of S2 (mainly 88s, but one 109". One S3 88". Two Discoveries, One  Freelander (still got), an Austin Champ into which I dropped a BMC LD 2.2 engine and gearbox. A Jago Geep with Cortina 2.0 engine, and a Dutton Sierra that kept freezing its carbutooter (would a 1600 carb.on a 2000 engine do that?) Two Discos (Barbara wrote one off is spectacular fashion ... she turned the key, and her SAAB ran amok,  destroying itself, my Disco, and the Transit sized van parked on the other side of road. The Disco could not have moved much more than 15ft,  at full-lock, as she unsuccessfully tried to avoid the Disco, I heard the van's tyre "prurp" as it deflated, when pushed sideways across the kerb. Three vehicles written off in less than a couple of seconds, from a standing start).

Currently I have the Freelander, but Barbara didn't turn, yesterday, a hair when I said I was impressed with it's TD4 engine, but wanted one in a Discovery ... so don't buy me a dash-cam, yet.

PS. I "had" five jungle green, diesel S2  Land Rovers on "my" SAM site in Malaya (along with several Lancer side- loading fork-trucks, the aforementioned S2s, a Bedford RL. a Standard Vanguard, and a brand new Mini). All "mine".

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »

I never posted on this thread but that's probably because when it was first posted, the IIA was my only Land Rover, things have changed since then....

First up is my recently purchased P38 Range Rover. The Mrs was going on at me about getting a tow vehicle to move a horse box about with and the idea of taking my IIA up a muddy track and leaving it unattended while we go off for a ride, filled me with dread so I looked about for cheaper Land Rovers I won't mind getting dirty or leaving alone for a while.
I found this one on the Facebook market place locally to me. It's what I would call a poverty spec Range Rover, cloth seats, no sun roof, manually adjusted seats, no air con, 16" wheels and the 4.0 engine. Genuine seller, bought it from a dealer when only a couple of years old and owned it since. He stopped using it about 3 years ago when the suspension had issues and it ended up being used as a store shed in his yard. I gave £700 for it and he delivered it on a trailer to me.
New air springs on the front, compressor piston ring replaced and the air suspension lives again, Brakes are currently stripped and undergoing cleaning and painting before refitting. The steel brake pipes need changing, some ball joints on the steering and a good underseal and it should be good again. No real rust under there.

Secondly is another recent acquisition, my 1955 86" I couldn't resist it when I saw another station wagon for sale so that is stored awaiting stripping and rebuild. I'm not sure if it is a genuine station wagon, it has bench seats in the back and no door trims but then it does have fly screens on the vents, the tub has never been drilled for tailgate chains and has a heater. I'll be restoring it to full station wagon spec I think.

Craig.

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2020, 04:25:52 PM »

Secondly is another recent acquisition, my 1955 86" I couldn't resist it when I saw another station wagon for sale so that is stored awaiting stripping and rebuild. I'm not sure if it is a genuine station wagon, it has bench seats in the back and no door trims but then it does have fly screens on the vents, the tub has never been drilled for tailgate chains and has a heater. I'll be restoring it to full station wagon spec I think.

Your Series 1 looks lovely, and 1955 was an excellent year  ;)

I see she has a very nice safari roof, I wonder how rare that might be. Were they ever available for the S1?

I do hope you leave her with that very distinctive patina, it`s her history. And one thing is certain, once you take it away you can never put it back and in my opinion, once painted Bronze Green it starts to look just like any other.
 :grinder

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2020, 04:56:59 PM »

The tropical roof was an option on the series ones, only on the station wagon models and only from 1954 to 1958 so not that many made. This one only has two roof vents, later ones had 4 vents and the early ones had Perspex alpine roof windows, both mine are glass. Need to be careful with them as they are different to the series II and III Alpine windows and apparently, impossible to find.

As for the finish, I can't decide. I don't like the paint all over the galvanising and to be honest, I'm not a fan of the green. I need to get up to Gaydon to look in the archives and see what colour it left the factory but there is a lot of brushed on green on it, inside and out so suspect it was green originally. I thought all genuine station wagons were Dove grey colour on a blue chassis and wheels but I watched some old Land Rover promotional films on VHS cassette the other night and, there driving around the Land Rover test track are green station wagons...

I may carefully try paint thinners, stripper and see what is under the brushed on green but if it all comes off then I think I will repaint in grey. One thing is for sure though and that is the bulkhead will need repainting, there is very little steel left on it!

Craig.

Nanuq

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7780
  • .:
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2020, 08:23:57 AM »

There's a boring '96 Disco, then another that's a bit smaller, with a real transfer case and real 4WD.   :cheers

gcc130

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2020, 08:33:24 AM »

Very accurate, even the rear cross member is rusty🤣👍

Jonny72

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4370
  • .:
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2020, 07:19:18 AM »

These are some of my Land Rovers (just 4 left). Hoping the collection will grow when I find a suitable S2

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2020, 08:14:12 AM »

Hooray!!  I am glad you are looking for an S2 but you still need an 80"

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

DeezleWeezle

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 2880
  • .:
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2020, 12:21:40 PM »

... 1970's 40" "Land Rova" from T.J.Utting, Norfolk with all the optional extras and some mods from me* (I wrote this up once in B2L)

My father used to work at T.J. Utting, and remembers these - it was another 25 years or so before he got into Land Rovers himself. Thanks for this interesting info.

Hairyvike

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 7242
  • .:
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2021, 11:40:57 PM »

...Apart from the 1960 Series 2, I currently own a 300tdi Defender 90, 200tdi Disco and a 300tdi Disco....and a td4 Freeloader that hates me...

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2021, 08:25:21 AM »

Something strange there. Tailboard has no hinges, and is sitting on the crossmember.

MineRover

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4451
  • .:
  • 1967 88" & 1964 109"
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2021, 02:19:57 PM »

As well as a couple of Series 2 in the family are a 1957 2 litre Diesel fire engine conversion, 1958 Series One 4x2, 1984 110 CSW and a 1987 90 CSW.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 23 queries.