S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you hand crank a Rover up a hill?  (Read 10063 times)

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
Can you hand crank a Rover up a hill?
« on: December 23, 2021, 06:28:23 PM »

Hi

My 69 dormobile is getting ready to leave for the paint shop it is non running at this time. To get the rover up to the street to get it on to the flat bed tow truck it has to towed backwards up my steep curved driveway.
  The tow truck driver thinks we should just hook onto the rear tow hitch and he will winch it up to the street then straighten it out and winch it on to the flat bed truck. This sounds reasonable to me (and I get to check how good my welding was on the replacement rear cross member).

My question is could I hand crank it up the hill in low range reverse? I have heard rumors of this being done, slow but steady?
  Anybody done this?

Victor
  Pic of the hill, this is when I got it here 3 years ago.
PS. All the brakes are functioning in case something goes horribly wrong.

1962 Dormobile (in the family since 1964)
1969 Nada Dormobile

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 06:33:57 PM »

It will be slow and take a long time but yes, it can be done.  Take the spark plugs out first to save yourself a lot of wasted effort.  I loaded a non functioning 80" onto a home made trailer up 45 degree angled ramps after winding it some way up a steep driveway.  Have someone on the brakes just in case.

David

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 06:38:09 PM »

Yes it can be done.
Have you ever watched the film "Ice Cold in Alex" ???

Was shown on our telly last week  :first
It will tell you what you need to do.
Who's a then ?

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 06:39:20 PM »

??? ??? hmmm, could you hook an impact driver a modified crank handle? :dancing_santas

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 06:48:45 PM »

??? ??? hmmm, could you hook an impact driver a modified crank handle? :dancing_santas

Back in 1980 when I was travelling around Australia the guys in the used car lots used chainsaw type motors with a starting handle attachment in place of the chain and bar.  No use nowadays because nothing other than classic cars have hand cranking dogs fitted.

Have you ever watched the film "Ice Cold in Alex" ???

That film really annoys me.  Why oh why did they let that woman have a go?  It was obvious what was going to happen.

David

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 07:06:36 PM »

Thanks

I think I will give it a try (rather than testing my welding.)

Guess I will have to check that movie out tonight, it sounds entertaining.

Thanks guys.

Victor

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 07:47:53 PM »

Just get Sylvia Syms along to sit in the driver seat foot ready on the brake.

And watch out for the time shift Series 1 in Alexandria.
Tim

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 07:50:59 PM »

It was a great film, even with a series one in shot at the end of the film, years before production :thud

edit ^^^ he beat me to it :shakeinghead

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 08:17:27 PM »

By coincidence we bought the DVD just the other day. We were fed up with watching the film from part way through, usually the bit where they are cranking up the hill.

The interview with Sylvia Syms (on the bonus DVD) was enlightening, the look of fear on her face when she leaps out of the way and the truck rolls past her was not put on!

biloxi

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 10:26:04 PM »

Hi

My 69 dormobile is getting ready to leave for the paint shop it is non running at this time. To get the rover up to the street to get it on to the flat bed tow truck it has to towed backwards up my steep curved driveway.
  The tow truck driver thinks we should just hook onto the rear tow hitch and he will winch it up to the street then straighten it out and winch it on to the flat bed truck. This sounds reasonable to me (and I get to check how good my welding was on the replacement rear cross member).

My question is could I hand crank it up the hill in low range reverse? I have heard rumors of this being done, slow but steady?
  Anybody done this?

Victor
  Pic of the hill, this is when I got it here 3 years ago.
PS. All the brakes are functioning in case something goes horribly wrong.
I reckon you will give up before you've done two yards. I also would drag a piece of wood placed in front of the front wheels and
 tied to the front spring hangers, along.
.W.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2021, 10:55:39 PM »

If you have the time and effort available, crack on but pulling a vehicle around the 2 ton mark up a short hill is bread & butter to the recovery truck people, its be done in minutes. A tad worried that you think your new crossmember might not cope ??  This might be the confidence builder you need ?

Good luck !   
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2021, 01:40:54 AM »

Hi

I am fairly confident in the builder and his welding abilities, but seeing as the builder (me) is sadly putting on some holiday weight (and the holidays aren't over yet) it might be a excellent chance to get a real good work out?
   Also how many people can say they have hand cranked a 2 ton vehicle of any kind up a hill. Backwards to boot. Not many I would bet...........well  actually maybe none.
 Maybe I will invite some friends over to get some exercise as well. Or at least walk beside ready to pull on the emergency brake.

Victor

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2021, 03:18:41 AM »

... Or at least walk beside ready to pull on the emergency brake. ...
Stopping a runaway is what biloxi was getting at when he suggested 'I also would drag a piece of wood placed in front of the front wheels and tied to the front spring hangers'.

This piece of wood should be of a large cross-section, say 6" minimum, and tied such that it is behind the front wheels going uphill, so that if the operator loses grip of the starting handle, and the vehicle starts downhill, the wood acts a chock, or sprag, against the tyres, to stop downhill movement. Enough slack has to be left in the rope to ensure the wood stays in place, and not so short that the wood just dragged forward in front of the wheels as the vehicle rolls downhill.
Of course, this sprag is  in addition to the body of the operator being caught under the vehicle.

You do realise that if the operator pauses for breath, grip and pressure must be maintained on the handle to stop it spinning out of his hands as the vehicle starts to roll forward?

There is quite a personal risk involved.
The brownie points you are seeking to gain by hand cranking the vehicle backwards uphill will have to be earned; they don't come for free.

If you are going to have a walking emergency brake operator, the stop on the drivers door check should be disengaged and the door held fully open against the wing (fender), so the brake operator can easily and quickly access and operate the brake.

... A tad worried that you think your new cross-member might not cope ??  This might be the confidence builder you need ? ...
I share this concern. It terms of expected load in service, the pull will be quite low value.

Regards.

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2021, 06:22:19 AM »

Hi

I think  can lean on the handle with all my excess Christmas holiday weight and hold it if I need a break.
 The front door is off right now, it is at the painters so the walking emergency brake operator will have clear unimpeded access to the emergency brake, it is also the taller 69 style of hand brake so he (or she) will not have to bend over to far risking dropping his (or her ) beverage.

I'm going for it. I'm going to time it, I think I can do it in 10minutes32 seconds flat, from the spot in the picture to both wheels over the curb at the top.

Victor

PS. I am not to far from the local hospital if I blow a gasket.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2021, 06:41:15 AM »

Also how many people can say they have hand cranked a 2 ton vehicle of any kind up a hill.

Hi,

I hand cranked my first Land Rover (1953 86" S1) up the steep drive, from the garage where it had stood for 11 years. I can remember removing the spark plugs first, and I know I devised a way of preventing it rolling backwards down the slop, but further than that, my mind is blank .... it was almost exactly 50 years ago.

I wish I had disconnected the fuel pips too. The car was parked with a full tank, which presumably had evaporated down to about a gallon of thick syrup, that had a vomit inducing smell. Throughout the time I owned that vehicle, I was plagued with fuel blockage problems.

I also hand cranked an S2 up onto a transporter trailer, that was itself standing on a tidy slope.  I had disconnected the fuel pipe, as I was aware that the tank was full to the brim with rusty water ... looked unpleasantly like "baby exhaust", but didn't smell. I fitted a new tank, just in case.

I have a vague memory of "TOP GEAR" dragging a log behind a vehicle they were recovering, to prevent it rolling back if the rope broke. Unfortunately, I can't remember how (or which car) received the log through it's rear window.

PS. I recently used my Freelander to drag well-grown thorn bush roots out of my front hedge, using old seat-belts as tow ropes. The Freelander does not have a reduction gearbox, so I had to use momentum to get a decent tug.

The way that that the roots flew OVER the Freelander suggests that seat belts are elastic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.