S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you hand crank a Rover up a hill?  (Read 10061 times)

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Can you hand crank a Rover up a hill?
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2021, 09:45:26 AM »

Impressive thinking on blocks and tackles, but aren't we rather over-egging this? Surely a fixed bar or tow rope onto another vehicle. Tow it out of its current location up to a suitable pickup location for a tow / flatbed to load it and take it away?
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2021, 09:50:25 AM »

Quite so, but people love to speculate on the complicated...

:-\
It's worth noting that using the starter motor to "wind" a vehicle out of danger is a useful (lifesaving) technique.

:snowman-1
Who's a then ?

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2021, 04:08:20 PM »

It's worth noting that using the starter motor to "wind" a vehicle out of danger is a useful (lifesaving) technique.

A colleague where my father worked claimed he could "drive" his vintage Alvis on the starter and get it up to 3rd gear.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2021, 05:21:24 PM »

I've "driven" Tonka up the concrete ramp and into the shed on the starter motor before, a useful technique. Another handy option is the Tirfor winch. A less handy option is a ratchet strap. I once came across a chap, miles out in the Forest, attempting to pull an L200 out of a ditch using one. He had been there some hours...

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2021, 06:37:10 PM »

Hi Guys

More great advise thank you all, but the situation has just gotten more complicated, we now have snow and bitterly cold temps to contend with (-10C) which for this location of Canada is really cold everything shuts down.
  With the added difficulty of snow to contend with I am probably going to have to use the rovers excellent 4 wheel drive feature. However that entails installing the front drive shaft (still off at this time), it also means I will be handcranking through 2 diffs filled with thick cold gear oil. Me thinks this project may get delayed till our normal warmer rainy (wet coast of Canada) weather returns in about 10 days.

Just a side note* that driveway is steeper than it looks, my 62 Dormobile easily backs up it in low range but high range is a fight with lots of clutch slippage and high revs.*

Nanuq.  Great idea about using pulleys and my friends, however most of my friends are much older than me (lots of grey hair and wisdom but not much strength).

Stay tuned this might be a while till the event occurs.

Victor
1962 Dormobile (in the family since 1964)
1969 Nada Dormobile

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2021, 08:47:00 PM »

Wow that looks great over there. Invite me over and I can add the weight of a grey haired pensioner to the mix.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2021, 10:07:46 PM »

Sorry to find fault with Nanuk’s diagram, but it doesn’t offer any mechanical advantage as shown. You have two people pulling directly in the vehicle, albeit round corners. The pulley shown attached to the vehicle is redundant and wouldn’t move , if both ends of the rope are pulled simultaneously.

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2021, 10:36:41 PM »

Hi Old Hywel
 I also noticed that the pulley diagram did not seem quit right, (I did not want to say anything and end up hurting Nanuqs feelings) he's just trying to help after all and I appreciate it.  The way the diagram is it would be more of a tug of war than a constructive way to get the rover up the hill.
 Also I do not think my neighbor across the street would think much of me if I used one of his saplings to haul my rover up the driveway,    :bright-idea but I probably could use that light colored tree that all the branches have fallen off of, it looks plenty strong.

Victor

beginner

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2021, 12:08:51 AM »

can it be turned on the starter to move it????

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2021, 12:38:21 AM »

I disagree, Nanuq's diagram would work fine. As the rope was hauled in on both or one end the pulley on the vehicle would pull the 109 up. Look at it this way; if the rope gets effectively shortened by pulling on the end the slack in the middle has to go somewhere!

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2021, 01:54:55 AM »

Hi genocache

Yes you are right if the rope went around the pulley "completely" that would work, but in nanuqs drawing the rope is attached to each side of the pulley (I kind of think that might have been a drawing error).
  If that was actually what nanuq intended it would work just fine and with enough man power on each end it may actually sling shot the poor old rover right into the neighbors' house.

Yes  Mr. beginner the starter would likely work to move the rover up the hill just fine. Its freshly rebuilt and I have a good battery

Victor

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2021, 02:27:35 AM »

Victor, even if it was attached at both sides of the pulley or just to the bumper/crossmember the effect of shortening the rope would pull the car up.

Nanuq

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7780
  • .:
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2021, 08:24:02 AM »

Ooopsie, I have initiated Internet Disagreement V2.12a for the year.  Blast!

Sorry all, I had just seen a youtube video showing the many uses of blocks and tackle.  So naturally my mind leapt with the agility of a drunken reindeer to that conclusion!  No worries, I am not offended nor easily done so.

My drawing was meant to show the rope going around the block fixed to the back of the Rover.  But that doesn't seem right... as said, pulling the running ends of the rope WOULD pull it backward.  But is there a mechanical advantage there?  It might as well be tied to the Rover.  What if one running end was stationary, then the rope would go round all the other pulleys, Rover included, just like a block and tackle.  I guess I need to read up on this some more.

You want that Rover up that slope?  Do it the old fashioned way.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2021, 08:45:40 AM »

Or a brave of elephant? Maybe not too many elephants roaming around British Columbia... Especially ones with spiked shoes on.

I would actually suggest that your diagram is correct and having a pulley on the front of the towed vehicle makes sense if two other vehicles are doing line pulls. That would allow the line speeds to vary without pulling the towed vehicle out of line. If not, the line speed of both pull vehicles has to be the same to even out the line pull.

I'll get my hat...

Mind you - I still think a short rope and another 4x4 and dragging it tow here it can be loaded is by far the simplest and safest solution. I live on a steep hill and am for ever doing crazy manoeuvres to get various dead vehicles in and out of my garage. I even hooked up a winch to the bin lorry one morning as an anchor point while they were on a break.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2021, 09:44:49 AM »

That would allow the line speeds to vary without pulling the towed vehicle out of line.

Hi,

A rope hung over a pulley will act as a differential.

If you tie one end of the rope to a tree, and pull the other end, the drag will move at half the speed of the tug, so will only require half the grunt. An extra pulley, will halve it again.

Something in my mind is telling me that the Velocity Ratio of a block and tackle is equal to the number of pulleys ... which isn't what I said in the previous paragraph.... but I think both statements are correct.  :stars  Probably my phraseology is wrong, but the physics is correct. ???

I do not recommend using a chain hoist (Churchill Motion?) horizontally ... the chain will be reluctant to flow freely, and it will get all muddy. Don't ask how I know!

Provided I have a beam/gantry, and access from above, I prefer a chain hoist to a jib crane. Much cheaper, and uses less floor space.

Having both types of lifting kit is best of all.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 18 queries.