S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Series One- Wheel cylinder problem - advice sought  (Read 910 times)

seriesonenut

• Chassis welder
Series One- Wheel cylinder problem - advice sought
« on: December 24, 2021, 05:19:46 PM »

Seasonal greetings from an  88'' Series One owner.  A bit of Christmas Eve tinkering today on the front brakes on my series one. I have hit a problem and not sure how to overcome it. Having fitted the replacement wheel cylinder I cannot compress the shoes to allow the drum to fit. I have backed off the adjuster and un-clamped the hose. The pistons do move in a bit but come out as soon as I stop pushing them in. It is almost as the springs are too strong if that makes sense.

Any suggestions? (and merry Christmas)

fuvf1 by Richard Holmes, on Flickr

fuvf2 by Richard Holmes, on Flickr

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
Re: Series One- Wheel cylinder problem - advice sought
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 05:28:30 PM »

Richard I can only suggest you either compress them and then tighten the bleed screw, or wire them together.
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 06:24:17 PM »

Push the shoes and thus the pistons well in and clamp the hose whilst holding them in , that will stop them sucking fluid back in and expanding . You should then be able to fit the drums.  Remove clamp and adjust .

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 12:06:53 PM »

Hi,

I've only just seen the mail, .... several months too late.

My first thought was that the brake pedal is sticking down, so fluid cannot be pushed back into the master cylinder. Try pulling the pedal back.

A SLIGHT undoing of the bleed nipple should release any pressure in the system, or just the wheel cylinder if the hose is still clamped. But tighten immediately the shoes pull in, to prevent loss of fluid (which might involve the brake linings.

Er , refyou photos .... there is nothing pulling the shoes together, because the spring is not being pulled, and will not be pulled until the wheel cylinder

I'm sure that the shoe pull-off springs (if correctly installed) are far stronger than any twee spring in the wheel cylinder. provided the shoes are being held apart by the wheel cylinder inserted between them. I think you probably already knew that.

We all know what Mr. Thought did. He thought he had ... but he hadn't.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2023, 04:31:01 AM »

Hi,

I have just looked at your first photo, the one with the shoes in place, but the wheel cylinder hanging by its hose. Surely you are not trying to insert the cylinder between the shoes?

Just had an idle thought ... two pairs of Mole grips to grip the bare metal ends of the shoes, to enable you to lever the shoes apart? Perhaps there is a market for a "scissor" action tool, to push the shoes apart ... a sort of reverse clamp, perhaps with a screw action, so it will hold when you let go, so you can work single handed? (Both alone, and/or, one hand in your pocket).

• Master of the oils

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2023, 12:02:55 PM »

PS,

Would a bleed nipple (preferably new) screwed into the pipe hole, prevent the pistons expanding when not otherwise restrained?

PS Visions of drilling a hole in the cylinder wall, and tapping 1/4" BSF. Insert piston AFAP, then use a screw (brass or aluminium) in the hole, finger tight, to hold the piston in place.

Be careful where you drill.

Would there be a market for a TERRY clip, shaped to hold the piston fully in, and clip into the groove that holds the dust cover in place? It's probably time to get my coat.

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2023, 04:00:33 PM »

I have often had to push the shoes into the cylinder as I pushed  the drum into place , especially with new parts. Never been an issue afterwards
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.