S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Potential electric propulsion units  (Read 1441 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Potential electric propulsion units
« on: December 26, 2021, 07:52:20 AM »

Hi,

This Technowimp has been trying to find alternative (and accessible) power sources.

My latest finding is this website ... https://www.bellmarine.tech/en/products-page/marine-products-page/

There are some interesting pictures, including a gearbox with a drive flange that might drop into a sub-frame that has been "cobbled especially for the occasion".

A figure of £7,000 has been suggested, but there if little guidance about what you'd get for that figure.

I have something in my mind about one BHP equalling 750W.

My need is for something that Barbara can climb into ... recently we whiled away about 20 minutes while she clung onto the open passenger door of her Hyundai, stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place ... dentist's car park, so numerous spectators. Very few asked if we needed help. "No ... and we don't need rubber-necks either". (Thoughts returned to a Series on dinky wheels, perhaps with a Hiab). 

A "disabled taxi service" is advertised locally ... £40 minimum fare ... and nobody answers the phone.

I seldom need to do more than 10 miles in any day, more usually, it's 6 miles.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Re: Potential electric propulsion units
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 11:59:18 AM »

How about something with a tail-lift and a flat floor all the way through to where the drivers seat used to be ?  No need to struggle in and out of the chair at all, controls suitable adapted ? .
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 12:54:34 PM »

Some years ago, we had a Renault Kangoo van (pro modification for wheelchairs) for my Grandmother. When she died, we really struggled to sell it. I was amazed to be told my multiple traders that they don't sell well second hand as most people want new ones which they can get under various schemes like Motability. We ended up virtually giving away a wheel chair adapted van not even 4 years old and with less than 18,000 miles on the clock. Visually it looked almost brand new...
Something's badly wrong with the system there in my view...
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 01:02:48 PM »

How about something with a tail-lift and a flat floor all the way through to where the drivers seat used to be ?  No need to struggle in and out of the chair at all, controls suitable adapted ? .

:first

Needs serious consideration ....

Else, how about this auction: #125069202082

Stick an electric motor in and sell me the 200Tdi.

:xtree
Who's a then ?

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 07:03:05 PM »

^^^^^ Nope, discussed elsewhere on the site and almost certainly illegal, a disaster just waiting for DVLA to catch up with it...

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 11:39:42 PM »

I was amazed to be told my multiple traders that they don't sell well second hand as most people want new ones which they can get under various schemes like Motability.

Hi Diffwhine,

Once you hit 65, you are no longer entitled to most (if not all) benefits, apart from INVALID CARE ALLOWANCE, even if you are paying income tax.

There are also DISABILITY FACILITIES GRANTS, which are MEANS TESTED. Two social workers walked in, demanded to see our bank statements. It took them seconds to tell us we were NOT ENTITLED, after which they suggested we applied for a second mortgage. So far, we have been unable to ascertain the criteria that they used.

However, DFGs up to £1,000 are not means tested, and you can keep coming back for further nibbles. Barbara's Social Workers have all been unaware that she is entitled for a DFG to provide access to make a garden area, and make the garden safe. We mentioned a DFG for access to our conservatory, which houses the washing machine and tumble dryer. The Social Worker looked askance ... and I don't know either ... but I know where to find out, by return of e-mail.

DFGs are available to provide central heating, but only for rooms used by the disabled person. Seems fair!

DFGs are mandatory, but payment can take up to 12 months. Apparently the Local Government Ombudsman is very insistent that people have adequate bathing/showering facilities.

I now cannot bend either knee more than 90* ... and have not seen a doctor at our health centre since we moved here, over three years ago.  Walking/shuffling hurts.
Once the holidays are over, I plan to visit a private Occupational Therapist, to get supporting evidence for a Blue Badge application. But first I need to OK the £600+ fee with our Health Insurers

There are charities that advertise how generous they are. I'm thinking the RAF Benevolent Fund, SSAFFA, Civil Service Benevolent fund, etc. At least one of those organisations uses MEANS TESTING, so worth Googling before wasting a stamp.

Now, does anybody know where I can find information about gantries for humping cripples into cars?

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 12:37:54 PM »

I was amazed to be told my multiple traders that they don't sell well second hand as most people want new ones which they can get under various schemes like Motability. [/i

Now, does anybody know where I can find information about gantries for humping cripples into cars?

I do ....

Contact Age UK ... there will be a Milton Keynes branch.

I don't know where/when you got your information but I'm told many of these benefits ARE NOT means tested and people should not be coming into your home demanding to see your bank statements.

You both should qualify for help.

Contact Age UK and get their help.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 09:32:49 AM »

I'm told many of these benefits ARE NOT means tested and people should not be coming into your home demanding to see your bank statements.

Hi Alan,

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) are MEANS TESTED, but it seems individual Local Authorities seem able to set their own parameters about the Maximum Grant, and savings.

I agree that Social Workers cannot demand to see your bank statements, but showing them might be the lesser of various other evils.
There is also a clause about NOT divesting yourself of assets, in order to make yourself entitled.

Google explains that LAs cannot afford to pay these mandatory grants. I feel sorry for the LAs ... just a little. The feeling does not seem to be reciprocated.

You have seen photos of the aluminium ramp that Social Services provided for Barbara's wheel chair to use the front door. Their first attempt was 1:5 gradient, but Barbara's buggy's anti-tip rollers grounded, lifted the driving wheels. The came back with longer ramp giving a 1:7 gradient, which the buggy can manage, but I am unhappy walking down it.  I believe that such a ramp should not be steeper than 1:12, but that is the maximum slope of a landing between staircases (see Building Regulations). I can find no definitive grade mentioned for Disabled Access ramps in the Building Regs.

Our builder relieved us £8,000 to replace the Social Services ramp, by lifting the brick laid drive to door threshold level, with a negligible gradient ... but that included moving the complete uPVC door frame out by three inches, and dropping it down the front of the door step ... and laying bricks over the area across front of the bungalow ... you've seen the photos.

My builder left it to me to get rid of the excavated "spoil" ... neighbours departing with wheel barrows full of top soil ... leaving me to fill a 6 yard skip, plus a 1 yard Hippo bag. Luckily, my daughter dragged a crew in from her office (International Banks HQ in MK). One bloke had done similar work before getting into finance ... he went home to fetch a bigger shovel.

Observation ... a Hippo bag only makes sense if you can get away with just one bag. More than that, renting a metal skip makes sense, providing you can fill it in the allotted time. (2weeks?) I did not investigate the penalty for exceeding the time limit.  I believe the Local Authority charge £15 for a licence to place the skip on the highway ... for two weeks?

I stiill need holes dug for at least six fence posts (2m high fence, 2.4m long posts), and am confident that my builder will leave me with the spoll.  :thud

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 01:30:23 PM »

Builders/tradesmen now leave their waste/rubbish for you to clear away.

That's because they get nailed for taking trade waste to the tip - more than you do !

This should be made clear when you negotiate the price. Their bill will be more if you want them to remove their waste.
What you save from that will more than cover you getting rid of the waste.

It is how things are in this day-&-age  :shakeinghead

Have you contacted Age UK yet ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 07:30:44 PM »

Have you contacted Age UK yet ?

Hi Alan,

No ... I'll wait till Xmas is over.

I did try to contact them about help filling in an application for Invalid Care Allowance ... a horrible form. "No answer!" was the stern reply. We managed to sort it out ourselves. Luckily we kept a copy for when renewal time came round.

Too much personal information to remember accurately.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.