S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anybody translate? VAT relief for disabled person.  (Read 1135 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Can anybody translate? VAT relief for disabled person.
« on: December 30, 2021, 07:58:38 AM »

Hi,

We are thinking of replacing Barbara's Hyundai with something that is easier for her to climb into.

A Google search has produced this ....

VAT relief on motor vehicles. You can purchase, a motor vehicle VAT- free when all the following conditions are met: the motor vehicle is supplied to a disabled person who normally uses a wheelchair to be mobile. the vehicle is permanently and substantially adapted. the adapted motor vehicle is for the domestic or personal use of the disabled wheelchair user, and the supplier has been given a completed declaration, form VAT1615A, which confirms eligibility..

Barbara is unable to move anywhere without a wheel chair ... usually her power buggy ... so that covers the first requirement.

Next comes the "permanently and substantially adapted" requirement. What does that mean? Initial investigation into "mechanical handling" seems to suggest that the crane and gantry, or whatever, is a simple bolt in job. ???  The Xmas break, on top of Lock-down, has prevented me driving into town, and molesting the main-dealers.

Finally, there is the requirement that the adapted motor vehicle is for the "domestic or personal use of the disabled wheelchair user,"  What does that mean? Is the vehicle's use restricted to only when the declared disabled person in actually in the car, or could it be used by me, for Barbara's benefit, but without her being in the car. And would that cover journeys that benefit us both? (specifically taking Wilkie to our daughter's so that our grandson can take him walkies). My knees hurt, too... if it's more than about 25 yards, I take the car.

In a recent visit to the dentist, it took about 20 minutes for Barbara to transfer from her traditional wheel-chair back into the passenger seat of her Hyundai. At the PONR, she was standing, knees bent, hanging onto the open door, with no obvious escape route. The driver's door is easier, as she can use the steering wheel as a struggling bar. Transferring to/from her power buggy is also easier, but we haven't analysed why.  "It is difficult to remember that the prime objective is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your, er, armpits in alligators"

We have noticed that there are plenty of disabled adapted cars for sale ... probably ex-motability cars.

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
Re: Can anybody translate? VAT relief for disabled person.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 10:21:17 AM »

isn't this what "mobility" cars are ?

In terms of the "scheme" ?

I would suggest approaching your neaerst "mobility scheme dealer" for advice

however, a previously adapted vehicle will be much much cheaper than a new one, even taking the "no vat" into account

Bit like stairlifts - much much cheaper second hand
"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre

Birdsnet55

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7589
  • .:
  • Series 2a 1966 station Wagon
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 10:47:11 AM »

John I bought a car from these people https://www.paddock-automotive.co.uk/ they did the VAT free form for my wife, She has mobility allowance and can purchase VAT free, not sure if you can get the VAT off if you are not receiving Mobility allowance, the car is also Road Tax exempt and should only be used for her or helping her, Not sure how they can police this.

You could give them a call to discuss your needs.

Paul

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 08:36:10 PM »

John, there is a place in Shefford, ( not too far from MK) that sells mobility aids as well as adapted vehicles - they usually have a fair stock of second hand vehicles. Happy to take you over there one day if you wish. Dave

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 01:18:46 AM »

not sure if you can get the VAT off if you are not receiving Mobility allowance,

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that. 

I hadn't considered Mobility Allowance. It wasn't mentioned in todays searches, although I am aware that some big allowances are dependent on receiving other specific allowances ... which Barbara cannot receive as she is over-65 ... although if she had been receiving them before turning 65, she would have continued receiving them. Go figure!

The only way forward would be a letter to my MP. I used to answer letters addressed to the Prime Minister ... a waste of two stamps.

Hi Gibbo, thanks for your offer.

I will investigate the suggestions received so far, and get back to you.

Hi eveybody else,

I feel that a similar "nobody wants somebody else's band-aid" might NOT apply to DFG grants, for home improvements. If you NEED a bungalow with adaptations, having to buy and move in before actually applying for a DFG ... then wait up to twelve months before a grant is approved ... IF it will be approved ... can give a different mind-set.

But yes, pre-owned disability adapted cars have not been considered, probably due to their sequence on the logical tree. Two "diamond" boxes need swapping ... look for the adaptions before looking for the car.

Buying a car from a dealer will normally involve VAT, but how many dealers apply it correctly? VAT should only be charged on the difference between the buying-in price and selling price, or something like that. A dealer does not pay VAT when he buys from the public. ????

Big-chris

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3365
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 03:15:49 AM »

Hi John,
Hope you and Barbara are keeping safe and well..

just to clear the VAT bit up, you only pay VAT on a brand new unregistered car, that’s why people use to say you loose £2000 in depreciation as soon as you drive away from the dealership with a new car, it’s not the car that’s deprecated it’s the 20% vat that’s just gone.. This is why pre registered cars / ex demonstrators can be a good deal, the dealer has registered the car in their name to make the sales numbers/targets up and they sell it to you at a discount… that is actually the full price minus the VAT because they have already paid it when they registered the car in their name but then as a VAT registered business they will claim the 20% VAT back so in effect cost them nawt but tell you how amazing the saving they have given you!! They have also had a free test drive car and usually issued to their sales team members for a couple of months as a sort of company car just to put a few miles on before they retail it with around 15% discount on new price!!! Nice little earner for them….. all second hand vehicles have already had the vat paid, a used trade vehicle ie van/pickup can be sold + vat when second hand if the dealer usually independent is vat registered and selling to trade, can make them expensive, many dealers state no Vat just to make em more competitive or they have bought them in from a private person or trade in……

Most new cars are advertised as ‘on the road price’ includes the list price, vat, first years road tax, registration plates and some administrative cost.. the first years road tax can be interesting on some new cars these days, think the average Range Rover is around £3500!!

If you are unable to go through a mobility scheme to buy new, I would have thought a good less complicated saving would be to buy a pre-reg car or a good used motor, possibly something already adapted to aid entry and exit for Barbara without being too modified that it hinders you driving it, a bit of a balance for you both, sounds like there maybe a professional place in the area reading the above posts…..  :tiphat
Never argue with an idiot! They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 08:16:34 AM »

just to clear the VAT bit up, you only pay VAT on a brand new unregistered car,

Hi Big Chris,

Thankyou for your input, and personal concern.

Barbara's health is good, apart from her mobility which has been detailed on the forum, ad nauseum. I met my MK doctor for the first time, several months ago, complaining my heart beat was too fast. He reassured me that 70bpm was extremely good for an 80-year old, and seemed impressed that it used to be 60bpm. On the other hand, it now feels like I have a jubilee clip round both knees, I cannot bend either knee beyond 90*, and virtually mark-time when walking, and they hurt.

And you?

Your description of how VAT works is in accord with my understanding, but I think our experience is different. Or maybe not ... Barbara bought a pre-registered car (something to do with the registration number), just over three years ago. There was no appreciable reduction from list price. Barbara was unhappy about not being the first Registered Keeper. I'll check what it says on the invoice, after brekky, and report back, either way.

OT ... before becoming a "fish-wife" (filleting fish in a wet-fish shop that was managed by her husband, in East London) my daughter was a VAT Inspector in Kennington, South East London ... perhaps not the safest of areas for a lone woman to go round demanding money. She is now a Bank Manager (Business) at Head Office of an international bank in Milton Keynes, and seems reluctant to discuss VAT matters.

Whatever, I will investigate.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.