S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DISABLED - NEW CAR VAT FREE (continued)  (Read 2095 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
DISABLED - NEW CAR VAT FREE (continued)
« on: January 05, 2022, 05:19:39 AM »

Hi,

Check this out ....

https://www.disabledmotoring.org/motoring/purchasing-zero

Hmmm ... person who uses a wheel chair ... but not an invalid buggy. ???

Barbara used an electric invalid buggy, as she is unable to self-propel a regular wheel-chair ... but if she didn't have an electric buggy she would need to use a regular wheel-chair, and I would need to push her. She is able to foot-paddle a regular wheel-chair, but it's not a pleasant experience, and she would be unable to operate the right hand wheel brake.

On her one and only out-door expedition, since the start of Lock-down, (Dentist), she was able to transfer from her buggy into the car, and back again, on our return home. Not easy, but do-able.

But transfer from the car into her wheelchair, in the dentists car park, was rather traumatic, while transfer from her wheel chair back into the car, was scarey .... hanging onto the open passenger door, unable to move back into her wheelchair, nor point her nether regions onto the car seat ... it took about 20minutes to change seats, complete with the mandatory "rubber necks".

Does anybody have any experience of such VAT exemption ... or relevant advice?

Ultra Vires due to unreasonableness?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: DISABLED - NEW CAR VAT FREE (continued)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 06:40:58 AM »

Hi,

And then there is this ....

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/605061/VAT1615A.pdf

... assuming the link works.

To clarify ... Barbara cannot even stand, unaided.

Birdsnet55

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7589
  • .:
  • Series 2a 1966 station Wagon
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 10:58:08 AM »

John you can get electric (battery) powered wheel chairs, my wife has 2, a very heavy one we keep in her VW wheelchair adapted car and a lighter fold up one she uses in the house.
https://www.uk-wheelchairs.co.uk/freedom-chair-electric-wheelchair
take a look many different versions avaliable.

Paul

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 07:19:15 AM »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your interest. Barbara already has a substantial power-chair (I'll check the make and model once she gets out of bed). it is heavy, and stupidy powerful ... if obstructed ... like by a door frame ... the driving wheels will burn their way through the carpet. Acceleration from a stand-still is akin to a scalded cat, until you get used to it.

She can transfer from the powerchair into her car, in the drive, albeit not an easy task. Transferring, from her car to a traditional wheel-chair. in a public car-park is a "spectator sport". There comes a point of no return, where she is hanging onto the door, unable to get her bum neither into the car, nor back into the wheelchair, Even when hanging onto something, the time that she is able to stand is limited. Once she falls, it requires an ambulance crew with an inflatable cushion, to man-handle her into bed or her wheel-chair. They insist that I should not try to lift her myself.  To date all such instances have involved either a shortie nighty, or the shower ... unlikely in a car park.

The reason for my interest in VAT exemption is that Barbara's car has just "been paid off", three years old, just had it's first MOT, no where near 10,000 miles on the clock. It is still on it's original tyres, despite my tendency, to Make road smoke when exiting those horrible tangential roundabouts in Milton Keynes.

I have owned the Freelander, for about 12 months. Apart from removing the noise from the transmission, and a new clutch, it has be faultless. It is still on the "part worns" that were on it when I bought it. VED and insurance are heavy.

When you look at it, having two cars in the family, with only one active driver, and a combined annual mileage of little over 5000 miles, does not make sense. I'm the wrong side of 80, she is three years behind. 

It would seem that my days of Land Rover ownership are over, unless I can build an S2 on dinky wheels, powered by an electric motor intended for a canal boat. That is still on my imaginary back-burner. My life-style would not require "deep discharge" batteries, just  £1,000 worth of TDi starter batteries, expecting to change them annually. I'm still researching.

Back to VAT exemption.

I have executive authority to buy a new car, better suited to Barbara's needs, than her Hyundai. I have not yet suggested a retired FX4 (photo anybody?), which will give me the choice between Barbara and her chair .... or a bale of hay.

Barbara is literally incapable of climbing into the back seat of any of the taxis in Milton Keynes. The candidates would require lots of space under the door frame ... a two door car (longer front doors) would have its advantages, if the seat could be moved a few inches further back than normal.

Suggestions please.

Birdsnet55

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 09:20:58 AM »

John I feel your pain, The VW caddy we have can secure the wheel chair in the back with the occupant still in it. It has seat belts to hold the chair and the passenger in, this allows the wheel chair user to stay in there wheel chair, thus avoiding the troublesome issues of getting in and out of the car seat.

If you get a chance take a drive down to the mobility centre that Gilbo mentioned, they will show you the best option for your needs.

Paul

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 05:55:11 PM »

Hi Paul,

Babara's "power" has a very (I think) depart angle. Social Services produced a custom built 60" ramp for the front door ... 1:5 gradient.

Her rear anti-tip wheels grounded on the ramp, before the driving wheels had had cleared the ramp. Both driving wheels spinning in mid air.

The ramp supplier returned the following day, with an 84" ramp ... 1:7 gradient ... which did work, but I was unhappy walking on it with my knees.

I think the maximum permitted gradient is 1:12, but I can't find the relevant rules.

We paid our builder £8,000 to remove the front door, move it out by two or three inches, then drop it three inches. The door barely clears the rubber backed door mat, and Barbara's buggy easily drives over remaining projecting door threshold. Then he lifted the brick laid drive, to match the new lowered door frame, with a negligible  slope down to original drive level ... PLUS laying a new brick drive across the front of the bungalow, so neither car blocks the other.

The builder called again today, to measure up for moving our WC, and turning it through 90*, so that Barbara has something to hang onto, while dropping into place. That should also give her room in the bathroom to shut the door, when her chariot is in there with her.

I also asked the builder for an estimate for a 12 metre long, 2 metre high fence along the road boundary, with a 5 metre "crank" towards the bungalow, to include a 2.4 metre gate onto the front drive. Not many houses can accomodate a 10 metre boat in the garden.  :whistle

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 07:02:32 PM »

Hi,

I thought I had posted the details of VAT relief on disabled friendly cars, although I was vaguely aware that something wasn't right.

Was it deliberately rejected, or should I try again?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 06:42:55 AM »

Hi,

So I'll try again ...

VAT RELIEF ON MOTOR VEHICLES

1. You can purchase a motor vehicle, VAT free, when all the following conditions are met.

1.1. The motor vehicle is supplied to a disabled person who normally uses a wheelchair to be mobile.

1.2. The vehicle is permanently and substantially adapted.

1.3. The vehicle is for the domestic or personal use of the disabled wheelchair user, and

1.3.1. the supplier has been given a completed declaration, Form VAT1615A, which confirms eligibility.

2. DEFINITION OF WHEELCHAIR AND WHEELCHAIR USER.

2.1. In legal terms, a wheelchair is a chair on wheels for disabled people, which is either manually, or electrically powered.

2.2. A mobility scooter is not a wheelchair for VAT purposes.

2.3. A wheelchair user is any disabled person who normally uses a wheelchair in order to be mobile.

2.4. A person who occasionally uses a wheelchair is not eligible.

2.5. For further information, please see the HMRC leaflet about purchasing zero-rated adapted vehicles for Customers, Dealers, and Suppliers.

2.6. Phone the VAT Disabled Reliefs Helpline on 0300 123 1073, select option 3.
The helpline is open Monday to Friday, from 8AM to 5PM.

2.7. Contact HMRC by secure email, on ...
http://www.hmrc,gov.uk/charities/vat-relief-disabled.htm

3. MOBILITY SCOOTERS and POWERED WHEEL CHAIRS

3.1. In legal terms, a wheelchair is a chair on wheels for disabled persons, which is either manually propelled, or electrically powered.

3.2. A mobility scooter is not a wheelchair for VAT purposes.

3.3. A Wheelchair User is any disabled person who normally uses a wheelchair to be mobile.  A person who occasionally uses a wheel chair is not eligible.

3.4. Phone the Disabled Reliefs Helpline on 0300 123 1071, and select option 3.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 07:40:26 AM »

If you get a chance take a drive down to the mobility centre that Gilbo mentioned, they will show you the best option for your needs.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your interest.

First, I have no recollection of Gibbo mentioning a mobility centre (probably an AGE THING, on my side). I am aware of CARECO, which is less than a couple of miles from where we live. Barbara doesn't do "travel", for the reasons being discussed ... making an exhibition of herself in a car park ( A chicken and egg situation), but buys plenty of stuff from them, by mail order.

I "done a Google" for the VW Caddy ... looks nice (but less so the price), and it does not have enough seats for our extended, non-driving family ... daughter nearing retirement, and two ginormous grand children. Not a problem while we have two cars ... Hyundai iX20, and the Freelander. We (me!) do not do enough miles to justify our vehicle overheads.

OT ... I'm pondering on suggesting that we sell both our houses, and buy a "ceased trading" pub. I have also been casting covetous eyes towards the old Fire Station, with over half an acre, on Watling Street ... I don't know the price, and it's had a SOLD board up for several months. We can all dream.

Birdsnet55

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2022, 10:33:03 AM »

Hi John, our caddy can seat 6 people, 2 in the front, 3 in the middle row and 1 person in the wheel chair strapped down in the back.
Sometimes you just have to be selfish in life and meet your own needs before others.
I will try to take some pictures to show you how it all works.

Paul

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 05:28:01 AM »

Sometimes you just have to be selfish in life and meet your own needs before others.

Hi Paul,

But on the other hand, you should always remember who will be choosing your care home.

I know there is somebody on this forum who will frown at me, but I have it in my mind that I should nip into MK, to investigate the Dacia Logan, which is reputed to be huge.

As far as I am aware, nobody has asked, nor answered, the question about the expected life-span of a new, NON-battery powered car. For how long will be be able, or allowed, to burn fossil fuels.  Horses are fun, donkeys are lovely, but neither are ideal as a means of personal transport. A mule will beat a horse, hands down, but are intelligent enough to ask "Why should I?", and can kick backwards, forwards, and sideways.

602 (who no longer does "leisure motoring")

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 06:41:59 AM »

Hi Gibbo,

PM sent at 06.40.

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 08:41:18 PM »

Hi John, I’ll try and pop in and see you early next week. Dave

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 05:40:48 AM »

Hi Dave,

:cheers

OT ... I've asked Dave Gibson (our builder) to get on with extending the fence, at 2.5m high.

richardhula

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5660
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2022, 10:07:35 AM »

I have a friend who lost his left leg just below knee in a motorcycle accident. He has been happily driving his manual Morgan Plus 4 with an electric clutch conversion (small lever on gearstick). Unfortunately it recently packed up and being a niche market for the Italian made convertion has been unsucessful in finding a UK agent to fix it.

It's now converted back to clutch pedal and he's looking to sell it. The latest bonded aluminium Morgan Plus Four comes in manual and auto versions (auto actually a tad quicker) but he cannot buy until 2023 as his disabled status only allows one VAT free capital purchase every three years.
Regards - Richard
1966 build S2A(c) 88" 12J hybrid diesel

This nowt wrong wi'owt wot mitherin clutterbucks don't barley grummit!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 22 queries.