S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Like' button / function  (Read 2527 times)

George P

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6803
  • .:
'Like' button / function
« on: January 10, 2022, 03:45:21 PM »

I often see posts here that I like and find useful but I don't have a requirement to comment as such. As far as I am aware there isn't any function to 'like' a post? Is this something that others would like to see, if it is possible?

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
Re: 'Like' button / function
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 03:52:10 PM »

Top right of message box:
"Add Bookmark" will bookmark it for you to get back to later.
"Notify" will let you know if there are any replies.

But no, I don't think there's a facility for "Like" - that's a Facebook thing, I think, rather than forum.

Robin.
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 04:02:39 PM »

Over the years the various incarnations of this forum software package - SMF - can include a "karma" feature.

I have never invoked the feature.
It's decisive, people voting for a post or topic, it's all too subjective and people will be upset if their contributions are "marked down".
Postings are not in a "beauty" contest.
We're a nice friendly forum - all posts are appreciated and I've never felt the need for such a feature.

It was bad enough when a few years back, when I enabled the "ignore user" function.
This version of the forum allows YOU to ignore posts made by a user (except admins and moderators) but forum users don't know they are being ignored.

As Robin posts ^^^ it's best to use the "Bookmarks" feature and if you fond a particular post or topic useful then you can always add a post to that effect.
Who's a then ?

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 04:03:10 PM »

LRSOC has a 'Thank you' button.
Tim

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 04:16:46 PM »

I don't do the LRSOC forum any more - so can't see it.

Any chance of a screen shot ?

They are running a different version of SMF to us.

SMF may have a thank you mod but I'm not keen to install any more mods.
This forum is bursting at the seems and at some point we will have to start over again.
TBH I'm amazed we're still working  :stars

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 04:20:14 PM »

Here you go, it's the thumbs up icon underneath a post.

The person icon next to the thumb shows the list of people that given the thumbs up to the post, if there are any...

Craig.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 04:56:22 PM »

Over the years the various incarnations of this forum software package - SMF - can include a "karma" feature.

I have never invoked the feature.
It's decisive, people voting for a post or topic, it's all too subjective and people will be upset if their contributions are "marked down"....

I think you meant divisive, not decisive, but I see that no-one else picked this up, so perhaps it does not matter.
I think it might be divisive if people were allowed to vote 'thumbs down' (people will be upset if their contributions are "marked down"....), but I'm quite happy for people to be able to say 'I liked that' without having to swamp the thread with posts saying only that.

I have 'found' the bookmark feature, and use it on an occasional basis, when the subject / response is of interest to me, or contains a nugget of information that I haven't seen before.

As a poster of mainly 'technical' responses I would appreciate some indication that an otherwise silent reader found my comment useful. There have been two recent examples, when a single person, sometimes the OP, has written to express appreciation of a response I've made. I'd be interested if others thought likewise; sometimes I've thought 'why did I bother?'. I think that people not bothering to respond lowers the effectiveness of the forum.

"This version of the forum allows YOU to ignore posts made by a user (except admins and moderators) but forum users don't know they are being ignored.".
I have also started to use this feature in relation to 3 or 4 users, just for my convenience.
I agree I wouldn't bother using the feature if it was revealed to the ignored person, because that revelation would be divisive; I'd rather walk away completely than put up with the brickbats that would be thrown.

Regards.

scottuh1

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6230
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 05:02:33 PM »

:cheers
1970 88" Petrol Hard Top - Undergoing Practical Rebuild.
Ex-pat Geordie living in Norfolk.

George P

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6803
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 05:40:54 PM »

It wasn't my intention to open can of worms here, quite the opposite tbh. As someone who has benefited massively from the forum posts here, I just thought I simple thumbs up or similar might let the OP know that's it is appreciated.

I think I'll use this  :cheers if there's no objection on doing so?

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 05:42:29 PM »

I think the thumbs up/like option as on the LRSOC forum is a good idea.

I don't go on there as much as I used to, but I don't think it has ever proved controversial, or decisive (latter spelling is for Davidss.  ;) )

As Davidss has said, sometimes one goes to great effort to find something for someone, or to help someone - only to be met with "silence" thereafter.

I know it shouldn't, but it can be a de-motivator to repeat the exercise....
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 05:50:01 PM »

Over the last 20 or years doing this my skin has thickened and lack of response or reaction to what I post doesn't bother me any more.
I can see though how some might be disappointed and put off in researching an answer only to be met with "nothing".
Some of my images and diagrams can take a morning to compose.

All you hard work is not lost, as the post/topic can be searched for and re-posted to answer a later question.

And, if you bookmark your topic/post it can be retrieved quite quickly for the next person.

We do ask if people find the information posted to say so - but most don't  :'(

With my alternator reply there was some good feedback - but that's the exception.

If we had a button, would people use it ???

Birdsnet55

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7589
  • .:
  • Series 2a 1966 station Wagon
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 06:06:19 PM »

Not sure if it's on here or the LRSOC I have seen a "Thank you" button.
That's nice.

Paul

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 06:20:37 PM »

That's one button I would use...

Don't like "Like" buttons - too much like FB or Twitter for my liking.

Too many likes in that sentence as well. My English teacher would have shot me if he was still with us.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 06:26:52 PM »

I think a "like" button is a good idea. It allows people to express their approval without swamping the thread with inane comments, or worse, inappropriate quotes. Nothing more annoying than someone quoting an entire post (particularly a long and/or picture heavy one) only to say "well done" or something equally friendly but pointless - particularly for those of us using up data allowances to read it.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2022, 07:15:58 PM »

Postings are not in a "beauty" contest.
We're a nice friendly forum - all posts are appreciated and I've never felt the need for such a feature.

It was bad enough when a few years back, when I enabled the "ignore user" function.

I agree completely with Alan on this!  Why over-complicate a Forum that works very well for contributors?  When we had the "Ignore" function, I remember a lovely forum member, now sadly deceased, who was confused, sad and upset at being "ignored" once - his hurt was plain in his posting.

Personally, I've never felt the need for approval or otherwise from my fellow Forum users.  We are all so respectful of each other.  If I post something a bit daft, or boring (which I too often do), it's just politely left to lie here and rot, as the Forum moves on.

Oddly enough, I was thinking only yesterday how I posted up a grumpy grumble about profiteering petrol companies, mainly just to have a moan to nobody in particular.  That post has generated 5 pages of comments and reminisces which have been fascinating to read.  So Forum users responded positively, and contributed to the discussion, broadening it out.   I don't need any "likes".

And that is the absolute delight of this Forum.  A friendly, informative, knowledgeable bunch of witty, off-beat oddballs, with the polite charm and manners of yesteryear.

I love it on here.......
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.