S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT ...FREE BUS PASSES, and RETIREMENT AGE ..... CHANGES  (Read 2133 times)

metrosul

Re: OT ...FREE BUS PASSES, and RETIREMENT AGE ..... CHANGES
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2022, 09:15:50 PM »

Naturally the "benefit" of a free bus pass will change over time.
(in 2048 I'll be past caring)

Originally, not so long ago, the buss pass enabled you to travel on any bus for FREE.
Some OAP jokers used their passes to travel from home to Lands End, to John o'Groats and then home.
They soon put a stop to that little game.
You can only travel locally.
And then, it's not now a FREE bus pass, well the pass is free, but you now have now "concessionary fares". Half price or 2/3 the full adult fare and you may be restricted in the morning rush hour times.

Local councils can change what routes are concessionary and what the fares are.
Our Park-&-Ride to the NNUH (Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital) is free, but the 501 into the city is £1.70 return.

Therefore a FREE bus pass is a bit of a misnomer - you have to do your research.

Bus Passes are only valid in the country of issue so Land's End to John O' Groats would not be possible. Bus passes in Scotland are for 60+ so changes in pension age have no effect. Also Scottish bus passes are also available on coaches and at any time of day.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: OT ...FREE BUS PASSES, and RETIREMENT AGE ..... CHANGES
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2022, 10:33:10 PM »

Hi,

Nine years in the RAF gives me no pension, you have to do 22 years. But it was not unknown to be told that your services were "no longer required" after 18 years, so no pension.

Twelve years in the Civil Service, followed by a medical retirement, credited me with a pension for 20 years, or approximately a quarter of my salary (index linked).

Barbara also gets only half the normal Civil Service pension, due to broken service ... galivanting off to Penang, and two pregnancies. She is proud to claim that she did not "work" the Pregnancy Leave scam ... saying she would be returning to work after the baby was born, collecting sick pay ... then changing her mind. She resigned both times. Many didn't.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.