S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Red diesel ban.  (Read 4623 times)

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
Re: Red diesel ban.
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2022, 08:25:51 AM »

And here comes Valentine’s Day, with jet lagged flowers.  :shakeinghead
1955 86inch petrol.
1960 88inch Diesel.
2013 FFRR SDV8 4.4

Raybis

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3023
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 03:45:13 PM »

They say every action has a consequence and I really wish they would think these so called eco friendly ideas through.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 04:41:47 PM »

The one I always liked (and was told to me at Land Rover) was that a catalytic converter pushes more pollutants into the atmosphere in the manufacturing process than it can ever feasibly remove through its operating life...
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 05:09:22 PM »

Ah, that’s the usual cherry picking of facts. If you seriously analysed any of these so called green solutions you will find that actually they are not green at all. But we don’t want to talk about that bit.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 07:18:33 PM »

I'm sure its all utter nonsense, none of these changes have any value, its all a con. We should abolish all these stupid rules and regulations, go back to emptying our waste onto the street and burning coal. Bring back lead water pipes, chalk in the milk and lets get those kids back up the chimneys too, most of them don't enjoy school anyway. 

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2022, 05:38:00 AM »

There are videos showing dairy farmers taking their containers of milk out in the fields and dumping it.

Hi

That happened in UK many years ago ... sorry, I cant remember exactly when.

The following year, that land produces a record crop of grass.

I have read that an acre of land can produce 27 tons of bracken ... which is not good as animal feed, but surely it can be converted into heat?  On the other hand, it is reputed to be calcegenic (sp?), so maybe not a good idea to ramble through ... and it kills horses, although it takes a few years. I lost two horses, presumed due to bracken poisoning.

So turn pigs out onto bracken infested land, let them dig up the roots ... eat them before the bracken kills them.

mrutty

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6626
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2022, 08:47:13 AM »

Yeap the 'green' lie is hitting farmers hard. They swapped out all the 'bad' chemicals in fence posts about 6 years ago and replaced with with 'better, greener' ones. Now I rent my field to nextdoor, part of the deal is he maintains the fences. He refenced a 20+yearside, now I know they were quality posts as they were dropped off on my drive, I know they were put in correctly as I watched them go in from my office window. I have since watched each one of them fail. The old ones by the way I cut off the bottom rotted bits, repointed and use them on the chicken fences.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2022, 09:50:23 AM »

Green = naive.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2022, 10:28:50 AM »

I think green = well intentioned. However it's always derailed by lobby groups taking advantage of naive politicians and civil servants. So the result usually has unintended side effects which entirely negate the original benefit!

The wood-chip power station at Drax is a great example!

Chris.

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2022, 11:04:06 AM »

The wood-chip power station at Drax is a great example!

Chris.

Absolutely. I was involved in promoting wood pellet sales for a timber merchant, who thought it would be a good idea to set up a small plant to make use of waste sawdust by turning it into pellets to sell locally. He would collect the sawdust as a "backload" from customers who he delivered timber to in the local area. Thoroughly proper green idea for local recycling . He set up a very expensive plant and even won an award for local enterprise. Pellets were sold to local schools, prisons, council offices etc and private buyers who had installed pellet boilers.

However, within 2 years, he was being massively undercut by the "big boys", importing the stuff from half way round the world on oil burning ships, from plantations specially planted to grow the stuff (at who knows what cost to the environment). A good idea, hijacked for nothing but greed. His plant had to close, and he lost a lot of money and people lost their jobs.

As for Drax: https://www.energylivenews.com/2021/10/11/draxs-selby-plant-is-the-uks-biggest-co2-emitter/

Don't talk to me about "green"  >:D
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2022, 01:25:36 PM »

Absolutely. I was involved in promoting wood pellet sales for a timber merchant, who thought it would be a good idea to set up a small plant to make use of waste sawdust by turning it into pellets to sell locally. He would collect the sawdust as a "backload" from customers who he delivered timber to in the local area. Thoroughly proper green idea for local recycling . He set up a very expensive plant and even won an award for local enterprise. Pellets were sold to local schools, prisons, council offices etc and private buyers who had installed pellet boilers.

However, within 2 years, he was being massively undercut by the "big boys", importing the stuff from half way round the world on oil burning ships, from plantations specially planted to grow the stuff (at who knows what cost to the environment). A good idea, hijacked for nothing but greed. His plant had to close, and he lost a lot of money and people lost their jobs.

As for Drax: https://www.energylivenews.com/2021/10/11/draxs-selby-plant-is-the-uks-biggest-co2-emitter/

Don't talk to me about "green"  >:D

drax produces 6 odd percent of the UKs electricity and can do that 24 hours a day 365 days a year so it is going to produce co2 what do we do shut it and risk black outs ? no matter how green we wish to be producing no co2 is unlikely may be it would be better if drax burned coal and they found a way to stop the nasties getting on to the atmosphere.   

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2022, 01:37:44 PM »

Drax has had more than £850m in subsidies to burn wood, and it actually produces more CO2 than it did on coal, but is somehow offset by planting more trees. :stars
Just think, if that money had been spent on clean coal technology, we could have been self sufficient for centuries (which is probably about long enough to get fusion power to work)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2022, 01:53:27 PM »

..... Drax, a big big mistake which will go down as such in history  :shakeinghead
Sat over 400 years of coal that can be made to burn with low emissions with great efficiency.

Can't do much about it, but I'll die knowing I was right.

:wooly-jumper
Who's a then ?

gatekrash

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1943
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2022, 02:28:48 PM »

They say that it will encourage a switch to "green" HVO, but that will be taxed at exactly the same rate as derv  :stars
And HVO is more expensive anyway!

Indeed, and HVO is ridiculously difficult to get hold of. You can get it delivered in 205 litre drums, or 1000l IBC's which need their own bunded store, but you can't get it at a pump. Apparently a version of it is used in the aviation industry as a "green" fuel, it's used in bulk which means supply for other users is virtually non-existent.

It's a hot topic on the inland waterway forums, because a lot of us with canal boats actually want to move to HVO as it doesn't suffer from diesel bug and will happily sit in a tank for years without absorbing moisture like dino diesel, but you can't buy it in any easily usable form, I suspect the construction industry will face the same problem.

Never let a lack of infrastructure stop you from forcing a change onto the public if there's a tax to collect !

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2022, 03:53:25 PM »

^^^^ My red diesel supplier is reacting to the market and increasing its ability to supply HVO. I noted that one of the tanks on the delivery truck was HVO during our last delivery. The vehicle was carrying "Red", Kero and HVO.

Luckily for us "Red" will still be allowed for domestic power, we use it in the Genny, together with a bank of Solar panels , a pile of 24x2v "traction" batteries that make up a 48v storage and the clever box that controls it all, sends 240v to the house and turns on the genny if the battery is getting too low.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.