S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Red diesel ban.  (Read 4628 times)

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
Re: Red diesel ban.
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2022, 04:18:47 PM »

Considering their apparent modest size, the Green party and its promotors shout very loudly and get heard. The governing powers, whether Blue or Red, panic and worry votes will be lost and so policy's change to accommodate that very loud minority, while the silent majority just meekly do as they are told.

I don't doubt the sincerity of many politicians, but I`m left feeling it`s all a giant short-term tactical game for power.

I don't know enough to agree or disagree with the global warming argument, but I believe that in its 4.5 billion years the Earth has seen extreme weather changes without the help of man.

The debate is evidently stacked against those who would argue against it, because if they dare to deviate from the generally accepted and populist view they are immediately belittled and vilified. You'd have to be a pretty thick-skinned scientist to poke your head above that parapet.

I`m afraid we live in an age where to voice an opinion at odds with the mainstream is to open yourself to trolls and vilification. Free speech, I don't think so.

The Earth suffered its last Ice-Age 11,001 year's ago and many of those who know about this say its certain to happen again.  And because an Ice-Age is totally dependant on the Earths orbit nothing we do now can change that. What a comforting thought  :tiphat   
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2022, 04:33:04 PM »

^^^^^^^ well put, I totally agree. I’ve had so many attempted lectures for daring to drive my old diesel Landy.
Apparently environmentalists are always right.  :stars
1955 86inch petrol.
1960 88inch Diesel.
2013 FFRR SDV8 4.4

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2022, 04:36:07 PM »

^^^^^^^ well put, I totally agree. I’ve had so many attempted lectures for daring to drive my old diesel Landy.
Apparently environmentalists are always right.  :stars

Just tell them it contains no plastic or microchips and hasn't been recycled 5 times. :tiphat
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2022, 05:00:44 PM »

Hear hear Fred.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2022, 05:28:15 PM »

..... Drax, a big big mistake which will go down as such in history  :shakeinghead
Sat over 400 years of coal that can be made to burn with low emissions with great efficiency.

Can't do much about it, but I'll die knowing I was right.

:wooly-jumper

I should state an interest I have shares in drax they are up 60% in the last year and the dividend yield is a healthy 3.20% so its been a good one to hold.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2022, 07:20:39 PM »

There are videos showing dairy farmers taking their containers of milk out in the fields and dumping it.

Hi

That happened in UK many years ago ... sorry, I cant remember exactly when.

The following year, that land produces a record crop of grass.

I have read that an acre of land can produce 27 tons of bracken ... which is not good as animal feed, but surely it can be converted into heat?  On the other hand, it is reputed to be calcegenic (sp?), so maybe not a good idea to ramble through ... and it kills horses, although it takes a few years. I lost two horses, presumed due to bracken poisoning.

So turn pigs out onto bracken infested land, let them dig up the roots ... eat them before the bracken kills them.

Never heard what affect the milk had on the land.  However, the way it was dumped varied from place to place.  I saw vids where it was just dumped in the fields, some dumped it in trenches, some ni large holes dug for and so on.  Some farmers actually tried to give it away, but got in trouble for it. 
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2022, 07:34:25 PM »

Yeap the 'green' lie is hitting farmers hard. They swapped out all the 'bad' chemicals in fence posts about 6 years ago and replaced with with 'better, greener' ones. Now I rent my field to nextdoor, part of the deal is he maintains the fences. He refenced a 20+yearside, now I know they were quality posts as they were dropped off on my drive, I know they were put in correctly as I watched them go in from my office window. I have since watched each one of them fail. The old ones by the way I cut off the bottom rotted bits, repointed and use them on the chicken fences.

It's happening here as well.  I have personal experience with something similar.

Our house is about 135 years old (I know, that's nothing when it comes to the UK).  Anyway... it took us almost 4 years to prep and paint the outside.  Part of the prep work was patching &/or replacing parts of the outer crown molding.  We were fortunate enough to find some modern crown molding that was so similar you couldn't tell the difference between it and the original, especially when it's 20'+ above grade.  We chose to go with a "green" company's offering - it was pre-coated with an eco friendly, heavy-duty exterior primer.

In less that 2 years after installing and painting the new, eco friendly product failed - miserably.  The original wood molding, with traditional, heavy-duty exterior primer still looks good.

Not only did the eco product fail, the wood the eco friendly primer covered has rotted worse than any of the original wood had roted.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2022, 07:44:11 PM »

There generally seems to two differing viewpoints appearing here

First those who understand and acknowledge that post industrial revolution human activity is having a detrimental effect on the environment whilst also recognizing that some alternatives which are promoted as being "green" are anything but, aka Greenwash.

Second those who doubt that "climate change" is actually real or something we should be concerned about and bemoan changes to the post war obsession with modern agriculture, chemicals, building and "growth" in all areas.

I wonder which viewpoint history will prove correct?

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2022, 08:03:22 PM »

What goes round comes round.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2022, 08:21:45 PM »

Considering their apparent modest size, the Green party and its promotors shout very loudly and get heard. The governing powers, whether Blue or Red, panic and worry votes will be lost and so policy's change to accommodate that very loud minority, while the silent majority just meekly do as they are told.

I don't doubt the sincerity of many politicians, but I`m left feeling it`s all a giant short-term tactical game for power.

I don't know enough to agree or disagree with the global warming argument, but I believe that in its 4.5 billion years the Earth has seen extreme weather changes without the help of man.

The debate is evidently stacked against those who would argue against it, because if they dare to deviate from the generally accepted and populist view they are immediately belittled and vilified. You'd have to be a pretty thick-skinned scientist to poke your head above that parapet.

I`m afraid we live in an age where to voice an opinion at odds with the mainstream is to open yourself to trolls and vilification. Free speech, I don't think so.

The Earth suffered its last Ice-Age 11,001 year's ago and many of those who know about this say its certain to happen again.  And because an Ice-Age is totally dependant on the Earths orbit nothing we do now can change that. What a comforting thought  :tiphat   

Sounds to me yu have a rather good grasp on what's going on.   :tiphat

The Earth has gone through many, MANY climate changes since the beginning.  Some have been mild and some drastic, yet virtually all took place before humans started recording history.  The evidence is easily found through the geological record.  IIRC, based on my studies in college, most of these changes took place about every 5,000 years +/- 1,000 years - and yes, the pole shifts can be seen as well.

I have heard the doom-and-gloom of global warming for about as long as I can remember.  Just look at ALL of the climate 'predictions' over the past several decades - remember Al Gore (?), not a single prediction he pushed has come true.  Following is a link to some of those "predictions" and their years.  It's just insane how gullible people area!! 

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/50-years-of-failed-doomsday-eco-pocalyptic-predictions-the-so-called-experts-are-0-50/

What bothers me most is that everyone who buys into this "green" stuff so much only seem to be concerned about CO2 emissions, with a few screaming about other pollutants - you know... plastic straws are 'bad' but the plastic wrapping is okay.  Most of these people scream and shout that it's all the 'West's' fault, therefore we must pay to fix it. 

When it comes to the climate and environment when are they going to start screaming and yelling at the Far East - especially China...

I'm tired of hearing it... and it's even harder to listen to all f these politicians who tell us how 'bad' we are and tge 'we' need to clean up our acts when they continue flying all over the world, in private jets, attending all of these climate meetings.  "Rules for thee, not for me".

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2022, 09:24:55 PM »

We are almost certainly changing the climate.
The climate has also changed due to natural causes many times in the geological past.

But remember that large scale climate change, regardless of cause, has been catastrophic for many life forms. Look out of your window for a dinosaur for example. Or if you live in the UK, a woolly mammoth.

It is going to be bad news, catastrophic in fact. I hope it happens after my lifetime.

Chris.

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2022, 09:55:28 PM »

The idea of “Project fear” has been used for decades for many causes. We saw it used during the Brexit debate. We have seen it used during the Covid pandemic. Common sense will always overcome this sooner or later.
The “man made” global warming brigade also use this tool, by predicting more and more dire future events hoping to scare us into their camp because the proof of their predictions is missing.
Fortunately there are folk (on this forum) who explain my views, much more eloquently than I could write. Our way of life is being ruined in the name of yet another project fear. As Correus said what about China, Russia, India, the real polluters.. They don’t need project fear, they just control their citizens.
I am looking forward to what is left of my life because know that project fear never prevails.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2022, 10:19:49 PM »

Wolly Mammoth bones, skulls and tusks have been found within 20 miles of our house here in Kansas.

As to looking out your widow and seeing any... there is a new company called 'Colossal' that is making the claim they are bring them back.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2022, 11:40:40 PM »

Wolly Mammoth bones, skulls and tusks have been found within 20 miles of our house here in Kansas.

As to looking out your widow and seeing any... there is a new company called 'Colossal' that is making the claim they are bring them back.

No chance, a fantasy. Yes they have recovered DNA from permafrost preserved bodies but that is a long long way from having a live animal wandering about.

Interesting reading on this and other chilly subjects... http://siberiantimes.com/home/

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2022, 12:03:05 AM »

Going back to red diesel !

I see that it can still be used
"To propel passenger, freight or maintenance vehicles designed to run on rail tracks"
No mention that it has to be actually running on rails though, so how about this conversion https://totalrailsolutions.co.uk/on-track-plant/land-rover-4x4-110-defender-type-9c-rrv/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 25 queries.