S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm back, but the forum has lost a few months ... stil in 2021  (Read 983 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
I'm back, but the forum has lost a few months ... stil in 2021
« on: January 26, 2022, 05:10:54 PM »

Hi,
I started to replyti Alans comment about a hole in my tank, when the keying went funny. I managed to copy what I'd already keyed, and logged off. On logging back onto this forum, I found everything since last Autumn was missing.  ???

Click to paste saved text .... which I will embolden ...

Hi Alan,

I've just checked the MOT results on the Govt website, get the same results.

I'll just go check the odometer .... 104,259, which means 562 miles between 29th of September and 26th of January (today) ... approximately five months.

In VERY crude terms, five twelfths of 365days, is 152 days. Five months at £50 per month (which is my normal brimming cost) is £250.  £250 divided by 152 days is £1.64 per day.

I haven't the faintest idea how much diesel costs per litre, but I suspect it's close to the above figure. so about one litre per day.

Most days I drive to my daughters and back ... call it

.... continue in normal text ...

... three miles each way, so 6 miles for 6 days per week (Wlkie goes unwalked on Sundays.) ... so I'm looking for six 7ths of 152 days is 132 days, during which time I poured  £250 of diesel into my tank, which is £250 divided by 152, giving me 1.64 miles per pound .... or very roughly 8 miles per gallon.

OK, the math is confusing me as much as you. Feel free to rescue me! Whatever, it's been costing me about £50 a month to drive about 150 miles.

But there is more .... several days each week, I use Barbara's Hyundai, which means that I'm using the same amount of diesel, but doing fewer miles than declared above. No, I haven't kept a record of which car I use when.

Fuel leak? The Freelander is parked on a house-brick paved drive. There is no smell of diesel, and no stains on the bricks. It is parked in front of our bedroom window, bungalow, with Wilkie sleeping on the bed. The drivers door has to be opened to access the petrol cap.

There is NO smoke, unless I do a cold start without giving the heater plugs a few seconds to warm up.

???

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
Re: I'm back, but the forum has lost a few months ... stil in 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 05:28:33 PM »

Your maths doesn’t really stack up. Whichever way you work it, you are getting mid 20’s( probably about 25mpg) which isn’t too bad for lots of short trips.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 11:08:44 PM »

Hi Gibbo,

I'd already come to the conclussion that my math was a bit "fragile", in the interval since I signed off.

Lets see if I can simplify it ...

According to the MOT records, the odometer was reading 101,413 on 8th Setember 2020, and 103,695 on 30th September 2021. I have it in mind that it was MOTd on the day I bought it. Barbara disagrees, but it's too late at night to go chasing those records. Let's call it 12 months between MOTs, to simplify the calculations.

My calculator keeps telling me that the truck travelled 2282 miles between the MOT.

I think that every time the tank got near to low, I added £50, but to check that, I will need to check all my plastic statements ... a job for Barbara.

But working on my assumptions, I have added 12 x £50, which equals £600.

2282 miles divded by £600 equals. £3.80 mp£ . I have no idea of the cost of a gallon of diesel, but assuming its £5 a gallon, that indicates an consumption of 19mpg ... which is better than I thought it would be ... assuming my logic/math is correct.

Just to complicate things, there have been many days (unguessable) when I have used the Hyundai.  I drive the Hyundai hard, joining Standing Way (H8) when I leave my daughter's estate (usually from a standing start) and braking gently from an indicated 60mpg as I approach the roundabout with Fulmar Street (V3?).  Would you like to estimate how many yards that is?  All the other roundabouts on Fulmar Street are approached circumspectly, and departed rapidly. I admit exceeding the 40mph limit of Fulmar Street, but not by much. I pass nobody, and very few pass me. I am not aware that I have caused anybody any distress.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 09:46:58 AM »

Something's not right there. If I recall correctly that's a TD4 Mk1 Freelander. If so, the BMW M47 engine should return well above 30mpg and the combined figure I think was around 36mpg.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 10:28:05 AM »

I would agree - not having any experience of Freelanders and the like. I would have expected something nearer 40 mpg.

Drivers seem to fall into 2 groups ...

1) Those who just put £50 in. The have no idea of the cost per litre or how many mpg their vehicle is doing.

2) Those who keep the tank brimmed. Go on a journey, fill the tank after or when it gets low. They have a better idea of fuel consumption, which in turn gives an idea or warning if the engine has a fault.

That said my car has an onboard continuous readout of the mpg. Freelanders must have similar ???
The vehicle handbook will show how to set it up.
Who's a then ?

mrscruffs

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6909
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 11:37:33 AM »

But if it's all very short urban trips of, as you say, around 3 miles each way, with time in between for the engine to cool, then 20-something mpg sounds about right.  Bearing in mind that your figures are 'on the back of a fag packet' rather than exact (barring the miles travelled), this all seems ok to me.

Ndrwdz

• Shop Manager
  • S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3755
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 02:08:48 PM »

Our Freelander 2 (td4) has rubbish fuel economy round town, but is really good on a long run.
It's possible to start with the predicted range showing 300 miles remaining, then drive 100 miles and it still shows 300 miles remaining.

Andrew
[ºº]O O[ºº]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.