S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spare Parts Kits - Recommended for Extended Journeys in Remote Territories  (Read 1331 times)

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus

Hello everyone -

While researching some info for a fellow IIa owner I ran across a list of "Spare Parts Kits - Recommended for extended journeys in remote territories".  These are listed in a brochure inted for the US, and I'm assuming Canada as well, so I'm not even sure if these were available in the UK and other countries.

There are 3 for 88 gas/petrol models, 3 for 88 diesel models, 3 for 109 gas/petrol models, 3 for 109 diesel models.  I've tried to figure out what each kit contains and why so many options per rig style - but have gotten nowhere. 

88 Gasoline Models - 548170
88 Gasoline Models - 548171
88 Gasoline Models - 548172
88 Diesel Models - 548173
88 Diesel Models - 548174
88 Diesel Models - 548175

109 Gasoline Models - 548176
109 Gasoline Models - 548177
109 Gasoline Models - 548178
109 Diesel Models - 548179
109 Diesel Models - 548180
109 Diesel Models - 548181

One thought that has come to mind is the territories the journeys take place in - cold (arctic circle and such), tropics and desert - 3 types of terrain, 3 types of kits. 

Do any of y'all have information about these kits?

Attached are pics from the 'Overseas' brochure it came from.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:

"Do any of y'all have information about these kits?"
No, is the straightforward answer, but your query sent me into a Search on my PC hard drive.

Eventually I found the listing I recalled.
Some interesting comparisons were revealed.
Your US market booklet is dated 1966, the listing I have is a UK letter dated September 1969. As this letter (gathered previously from a Forum post) itemises individual parts, with both item and total costs, it indicates there were no UK issued general guides.

The heading of the letter shows the vehicle style and journey intended:
The Rover Company limited.      8th September, 1969
Dealer Parts Development,
Solihull,               TO: Mrs Hesketh.
Warwickshire.

Recommended Parts List.
109" Long Land Rover Station Wagon.
2 ¼  Litre Petrol Engine.
Chassis No,26l01334 B.
Overland Journey to South Africa.

Additionally, I'd say that once you take into account brake shoe, shock absorber, and spring differences it's not hard to see why 88 and 109 are treated separately. Petrol v Diesel differences are obvious, so it leaves the question you asked, why three subsets for each vehicle style?
I don't know.

Regards.

biloxi

• Master of the oils
  • .:

In the book "Land Rover The Unbeatable 4x4"  by J&K Slavin and G N Mackie published in 1981  it says that if you give  the Rover Co the following information:
  Engine number
  Chassis number
  Date of first registration
 Type of Land Rover
  Destination
  Duration of expedition
they will provide you with a list of suggested spares.
.W.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:

For a trip to Morocco, mid 90s, the local LR Dealer in Stirling made me up a spares pack and, very decently, did it on a use or return basis !

I suspect they'd not be so accommodating nowadays.   
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:

I've spent the last 30 years building spares lists for expedition vehicles. If anybody is in desperate need of some soporific reading, by all means get in touch. I have lists based on engine types, utilisation, operator capability, distance, climate, road conditions, military risk and on and on and on. Once you've seen one list, they cease to be even remotely interesting.

Paid the bills for may years though!

The simple rule is take service items only. Anything else you think you will need, you won't. Anything you do need, you won't have anyway, so its far more useful to have a list of garages who can help and much lighter than a box of useless spares. The only good bit is being able to sell the spares to garages in exchange for what you actually do need.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus

Thanks everyone.   :tiphat

Can't say I'm not a little disappointed, but definitely not surprised!!! 

The differences between the 88 & 109, as well as between gas & petrol is a given.  I think what's gotten me so curious is the 3 different versions.

To give an idea what's going through my mind about it, assuming they might be referring to extreme cold, tropics, and desert, are there certain parts that go bad in certain climates as apposed to others?

I do want to but together a "kit" to keep on-board, and am doing so.

Thanks for the replies... these will be helpful.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus

I've spent the last 30 years building spares lists for expedition vehicles. If anybody is in desperate need of some soporific reading, by all means get in touch. I have lists based on engine types, utilisation, operator capability, distance, climate, road conditions, military risk and on and on and on. Once you've seen one list, they cease to be even remotely interesting.

Paid the bills for may years though!

The simple rule is take service items only. Anything else you think you will need, you won't. Anything you do need, you won't have anyway, so its far more useful to have a list of garages who can help and much lighter than a box of useless spares. The only good bit is being able to sell the spares to garages in exchange for what you actually do need.

Interesting... I've done similar, just not for expedition vehicles.  I also leaned towards contingency plans for worst-case scenarios.

Completely understand about "service items", and that makes sense.  Let me ask though... would the rear half-shafts be something you'd consider taking along?   Grovers broke 2 blocks from the house during my first year of ownership.  It took almost two weeks to get replacements.  I was planning on getting a spare set, just in case, and keeping them in an on-board kit.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:

My view on rear half shafts is that after 60 years or so - they could fail, anytime, without warning.

If I were going on an overseas expedition as part of the vehicle pre-prep I'd replace the half shafts as a matter of course.
Best done at home rather than in a wet field, in the dark, in the middle of France, with a spanner, tent peg, hammer and a pair of scissors - as I once did.

Then, all things being equal your half shafts should for the journey.
That said, I now carry a spare set when I'm far away from home, to help a fellow owner out should the worse happen to them.
As a kind Swiss owner gave new a new half shaft to fix mine in the filed.

With a rear halfshaft you can put the thing into 4x4 drive and continue on your way and/or to a garage.
It's not a big disaster should you break one.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:

It was rare to take SWB vehicles on field expeditions in my day. Too small, not enough carrying capacity etc. etc. Looking back at some of the early LR parts scalings, they did include 1/2 shafts for SWB vehicles, but later with 109s on  Salisbury rear axles, they weren't often required. For a traditional 2A, I'd agree - take a pair of Rover axle rear half shafts. They fit well behind the bumper.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus

It was rare to take SWB vehicles on field expeditions in my day. Too small, not enough carrying capacity etc. etc. Looking back at some of the early LR parts scalings, they did include 1/2 shafts for SWB vehicles, but later with 109s on  Salisbury rear axles, they weren't often required. For a traditional 2A, I'd agree - take a pair of Rover axle rear half shafts. They fit well behind the bumper.

Never thought about storing them there.... thanks.

What you mentioned above, about the 109s, reminded me of the following gem.

https://gearjunkie.com/motors/london-singapore-family-road-trip-old-land-rover-hyland

martinrh

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6601
  • .:
Re: Spare Parts Kits - Recommended for Extended Journeys in Remote Territories
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 12:11:11 PM »

Just looking at the pricing, my guess is the three kits were different ‘levels’
I.e. basic, more stuff, lots of stuff?

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 03:24:36 PM »

I have this 1975 guide for LR  Published by Rover Triumph British Leyland UK Ltd Solihull Warwickshire 

gilbo

• Master of the oils
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 03:48:03 PM »

I have this 1975 guide for LR  Published by Rover Triumph British Leyland UK Ltd Solihull Warwickshire

I wonder who thought up the 'Exhaust Valve ..... 1' in the list? Perhaps they were designed only to burn out one at a time  ???

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2022, 04:35:49 PM »

Just looking at the pricing, my guess is the three kits were different ‘levels’
I.e. basic, more stuff, lots of stuff?

That's definitely a thought.  Good catch.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2022, 04:38:35 PM »

I need to find one of those for my collection.  I enjoy collecting antique/vintage safari and expedition gear and equipment as well as guides like this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.