S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brexit- taxes  (Read 1647 times)

stefaan83

• .:
Brexit- taxes
« on: June 15, 2021, 08:36:40 PM »

Hi,
For us in Europe, the brexit makes is expensieve tot buy directly from UK webshops and eBay. Are there already landy parts webshops that are IOSS supported so we don't need te pay clearing cost? Not to avoid taxes but the excessive clearence costs.
More about IOSS.
https://accotax.co.uk/knowledge-bank/import-one-stop-shop/
Thanks a lot!

fireman1

• Chassis welder
Re: Brexit- taxes
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 09:00:15 PM »

When I shop online at Paddocks from Republic of Ireland since Brexit they ask if I would like to shop at their European or GB site .Have not noticed much if any change in cost.

nathanglasgow

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5123
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 09:02:21 PM »

Stealth ad for Acountancy firm?
1967 Rover 10(ex mil 2a swb)
1970 lwb  ex Singer sewing machine factory Clydebank fire appliance

Dopey

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 8197
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 12:57:01 AM »

Become a multi-billionaire, and avoid all tax.... :bright-idea :bright-idea
Roads? Who Needs Roads.

Get more than 3 pensioners together and they will form a committee.

Been with the S2C since 2002

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 09:20:22 AM »

Unfortunately we are seeing a similar effect buying things in from Europe.
You seem to get charged local taxes from the country you purchase in then when it gets to the UK, a handling fee then they chuck UK VAT on as well!  >:(

Craig.

stefaan83

• .:
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 01:27:04 PM »

Unfortunately we are seeing a similar effect buying things in from Europe.
You seem to get charged local taxes from the country you purchase in then when it gets to the UK, a handling fee then they chuck UK VAT on as well!  >:(

Craig.
Indeed,
Everywhere same thing.
Lost money are the inclearance costs,  everyone pays taxes. The one more than the other ...

Jonny72

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4370
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 06:01:15 AM »

Indeed,
Everywhere same thing.
Lost money are the inclearance costs,  everyone pays taxes. The one more than the other ...

According to bpost, I believe that as from 1 July, new rules for importing goods from UK to EU will come into force. I’m not sure whether the customs clearance will still be required, but suspect that will continue.  It’s indeed a big change for consumers - only last week, I had to pay Euro 57 to the postman for customs and taxes on a parcel of goods worth £100 bought from UK delivered to Belgium.  I’ll not be doing that again any time soon!

Tim_Moore

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7294
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 06:25:43 AM »

i dont mind paying import taxes 20 -25% all good.

What drives me up the wall is the "processing and handling fees" the freight companies are putting over the top to clear in the goods.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 07:08:06 AM »

Hi,

Barbara had to beg her long last cousin, in USA ... found thru Family History searches, and has just found another in Wales ... not to send presents. HMR&C hit her with VAT valuations well in excess of the value of the prezzy ... and then the Post Office add an £8 "handling charge".

I have to drive to the local Sorting Office, and hit my plastic for about £28.

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 08:54:44 AM »

According to bpost, I believe that as from 1 July, new rules for importing goods from UK to EU will come into force. I’m not sure whether the customs clearance will still be required, but suspect that will continue.  It’s indeed a big change for consumers - only last week, I had to pay Euro 57 to the postman for customs and taxes on a parcel of goods worth £100 bought from UK delivered to Belgium.  I’ll not be doing that again any time soon!

Assuming this was a commercial purchase, did you at least manage to get the VAT knocked off at point of purchase? It's not much but it can soften the impact a bit.

The big shift for me (which is new even over and above the changes due to Brexit) is the dropping of the minimum threshold which I believe was £22. I have seen some information on this but not enough to be certain. If I am right it means, for example, that whereas previously I could import a nut from the US with a value of £1 which fits in an envelope with a shipping cost of £10, I would have paid £11 in total to get it to my door because it is under the £22 threshold. I believe I will now be charged both the duty and the 'handling charge' making the delivered cost over £20. If this is correct it makes both small value purchases and (as 602 has said) small gifts, a nightmare. I think it's the latter I resent most because my children's great aunts can no longer send a small birthday or Christmas present, but they can still transfer money to them by Paypal for free.

Alec

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 09:07:07 AM »

i dont mind paying import taxes 20 -25% all good.

What drives me up the wall is the "processing and handling fees" the freight companies are putting over the top to clear in the goods.

At the end of the day though, someone has to do the paperwork. That someone has to be paid a wage for doing it. The country, collectively, decided that it no longer wanted to be part of an alliance that made it all unnecessary, so lots of jobs that have been unneeded since the early nineties have had to be reinstated.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 12:17:49 PM »

Good news for the people getting a wage for processing the paperwork but just added cost and reduced productivity for the rest of us.

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Jonny72

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4370
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2021, 12:24:14 PM »

Assuming this was a commercial purchase, did you at least manage to get the VAT knocked off at point of purchase? It's not much but it can soften the impact a bit.

The big shift for me (which is new even over and above the changes due to Brexit) is the dropping of the minimum threshold which I believe was £22. I have seen some information on this but not enough to be certain. If I am right it means, for example, that whereas previously I could import a nut from the US with a value of £1 which fits in an envelope with a shipping cost of £10, I would have paid £11 in total to get it to my door because it is under the £22 threshold. I believe I will now be charged both the duty and the 'handling charge' making the delivered cost over £20. If this is correct it makes both small value purchases and (as 602 has said) small gifts, a nightmare. I think it's the latter I resent most because my children's great aunts can no longer send a small birthday or Christmas present, but they can still transfer money to them by Paypal for free.

Alec

The accessory parts I purchased were from a small business (inventor / supplier of 3D printed parts) for my New Defender - no VAT expressly levied as far as I recall on the parts.  If I’d known about the EUR57 fee, I’d have instead had the parts shipped to my address in UK to collect next time we can travel to UK!  It’s the first time I see such a charge on goods delivered from UK and though mildly irritating, it was the 24 days it took to clear customs that was the annoying thing. I’m sure this will have an impact on businesses trying to trade abroad. Luckily for me, it was only an ‘unnecessary’ accessory for the Land Rover, and wasn’t a part I was waiting for, broken down on the side of the road.  Maybe things will improve as time goes on.  But for now, lesson learned.  I’ll not be ordering parts from UK to EU for a while…

Richard

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5937
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2021, 01:58:18 PM »

It all depends on where you are and what you buy, I think. As an EU-citizen buying in the UK I have two thresholds to take into account:
  • VAT over € 22 (as of the 1st of July 2021 this threshold is discontinued)
  • duties over € 150

For example: I recently bought a few parts from Rimmer Bros, totalling some 85 euros. They charged me the amount ex VAT for the parts and warned me for the extra costs for clearing, duties, excise, what have you DPD would take care of. On entry of the parts in the Netherlands I got an email from DPD asking me to pay Dutch VAT on my purchases, but nothing more, because the total amount ex VAT for the purchase was > € 22 but < € 150.

I'm not sure how it works the other way around… Here's the explanation on the website of the Dutch government: https://www.government.nl/topics/brexit/question-and-answer/purchase-items-from-the-uk-online-after-brexit. Dutch customs explains that duties on car parts are usually 3-4,5% of the total amount payed for parts, shipping and insurance. You are charged VAT over that amount. So, if I buy € 200 worth of parts at Rimmer's, another € 20 for getting it shipped to the Netherlands, I get charged  say 4% on € 220 so € 8,80 for duties and another 21% VAT € 48,05 over € 228,80 totalling € 276,85 for my purchase at Rimmer's. So, the additional costs I pay for buying that particular part in the UK amount to the duties and the VAT over the duties (and maybe the extra 1% VAT I'm charged in the Netherlands, 21% VAT, as opposed to the 20% VAT in the UK).

Richard
1964 S2a, 1997 Disco 1, 1978 RRC

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 09:20:39 PM »

Got two parcels of car bits today. Both to a value of around £60. Both from recognised traders.
First one was from Australia. Took 13 days. No extra vat or handling fees.
Second one from Netherlands. Took 7 days (4 of them at my local Parcelfarce depot "preparing for delivery"  ??? ) No extra vat or handling fees.

So it looks as though businesses overseas are getting to grips with paying UK VAT direct (which they now do on Ebay). Whether our traders are doing the same for EU sales, who knows!
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.