S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drivers seat leg/arm/stomach room  (Read 780 times)

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
Drivers seat leg/arm/stomach room
« on: June 24, 2021, 03:29:05 PM »

Some time ago I added my views to a tread on SWB drivers leg and stomach room.
I read and viewed a lot of good ideas.
I did not want to cut up or remove the rear bulkhead and even when I came round to the idea the fuel tank neck always ment a lightweight tank or the tank on the passenger side where I have a extra heater.
So with some plywood, high and low density foam and some seat fabric off cuts I made a drivers seat that gave me anout 3" extra leg and stomach room and my arms at a improved angle, this has added to the driving pleasure without the need to slim-
a picture of what I did......

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
Re: Drivers seat leg/arm/stomach room
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 05:17:21 PM »

Thanks for sharing. I have a similar plan myself!

Have you got any photographs of the construction process?

Chris.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
Re: Drivers seat leg/arm/stomach room
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 02:39:09 PM »

Thanks for sharing. I have a similar plan myself!

Have you got any photographs of the construction process?

Chris.

How I made my seats (sorry no pictures)
I bought a 4’ x 2’  cut piece of  ¾” ply although in hind sight ½” would have been better. I cut this to 18 ½”x 20” for the seat base (18 1/2” being the depth of the top of the seat box and 20” being what I felt fitted and gave me wide comfortable seat)
The back was cut to 20” wide to match the base and the remaining height from the 4’ was left at 29 ½”
The seat base was secured only at the front with a Land Rover hasp and turn buckle as seen in the picture. The seat back wood is secured with a screw as the wood slotted down the back of the little up stand just in front of the 88” fuel filler pipe, to get this in place I had to cut a section out from the plywood to avoid putting any pressure on the fuel pipe but whilst the foam does touch the pipes they put no pressure on them.

The seat back board was covered with a medium 1” thick foam and topped off with 3/8” of very high density foam to hold the seat shape. As the seat back is almost vertical the driver puts little pressure on it.

The seat base was covered with a layer of 1” medium density foam, then 1 ½” of high density foam and 3/8” of the very high density foam, again to hold the shape of the base.

Seat foams seem to vary depending on where you buy them and the type required depends on how firm or soft you require and how heavy you are. I wanted to have a thin base and back to give me more leg and stomach room so perhaps went for thin high density foams but 4” of a soft foam might give more comfort at the expense of space.
To cover it all I went to Abakhan fabrics in Mostin, near Flint and on there remnants cart outside the main door they had off cuts about 2 yards by a yard and a half for only £2. This looks and feels like the heavy duty fabric used for bus seats, it had a firm feel, and did not fray when cut. I bought a few pieces for repairs or future plans

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.