S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What fitted behind the seats?  (Read 4406 times)

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
What fitted behind the seats?
« on: April 20, 2020, 08:55:15 PM »

Rooting about behind the three front seats. I discovered an allen-key multi-tool I'd been looking for all winter  ;) Must have fallen out of my pocket while driving in October back from the Borders camping meet. Made my day finding that!

I also discovered that I can store my nice Mole Valley tyre levers (which I know how to use in the field now) in the 2nd set of clips on the gap behind the seats on the bulkhead, along with a spare tube. The levers now sit alongside the starting handle. But I am wondering. What is meant to sit in that second set of clips beside the starting handle? Was it a handle for a jack? In which case, what sort of jack was it and where was it stored (under the passenger seat in the box?). Or maybe, a long wheel brace?

Andrew
Andrew

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
Re: What fitted behind the seats?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 09:23:20 PM »

Long Jack handle I think. The jacking block and wooden jack handle I think went behind the,seats or in seat toolbox/rear toolbox on 109".
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

George1990

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6900
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 10:17:51 PM »

Interesting to know. I keep a breaker bar in mine
1968 RAF 2a 88 bitsa
1980 6 pot S3 109

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 08:40:15 AM »

Clips , what clips ? I don’t have clips

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 08:49:30 AM »

There should be terry clips behind the seats - usually the broken off stubs or 3/16 holes can be seen.

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 09:29:08 AM »

Thanks!

I spent a few minutes rooting around in the S2 manual archives. I thought I might find a relevant picture of "accessories" or something, especially in the "S2 options catalogue" , but I didn't come up with anything. It would be interesting to see pictures from the early 60's of a vehicle with it's accessories as sold.

Anyway, the tyre levers fit now in there just nicely, with the spare tube, starting handle, 1990's UK road atlas, wires for sound system, coins, lost tools, and whatever else falls down there.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 09:56:49 AM »

In my SWB series III there was the starting handle and the long jack rod stored behind the seats in the clips. The wooden cross handle for the jack and the jack itself just rolled around in the seat box locker, I assume they didn't have moulded polystyrene inserts back then....

In my 109" station wagon the starting handle and long jack rod are stored under the middle row seat as it's a ten seat version. The jack and wooden handle lives under the front seat although it could live in the rear wheel arch locker too.
Not sure where the 12 seat station wagons store the starting handle or the jack rod?

I managed to buy a brand new wooden jack handle a while back, not sure if they are still made?

Craig.

(Not my photos, pinched from a Google image search)

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5565
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 10:16:49 AM »

If any one needs a jack handle making from wood let me know , I will need the  dimensions,  no ash in stock but have some oak , beech , ,
Chris

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 10:28:35 AM »

... I will need the  dimensions,  ...

To show an appreciation of your kind offer, I'll start with the first thing that came to hand, a picture from the Technical Picture archive, at least to try to give a sense of size.

Regards

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 10:35:03 AM »

Not sure how long you take turning them but they are still available, 543301 is the part number and a few suppliers seem to have them, Craddocks, LRDirect, LRSeries, Island 4x4 etc, All about £20

Craig.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 12:39:42 PM »

My Jack is a hydraulic one from a discovery, it lives in the toolbox under the passenger seat.  The handle lives with the starting handle, tyre leavers, breaker bar and socket and a torque wrench behind the seats.  Some in clips some not.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 02:13:53 PM »

Wow! I can see those pictures of tiny jacks. I have one similar, but I had no idea it was almost like the original ones. I think my Dad found it in our garage when I first had my vehicle, and I think my jack is off a car that my Mum had in the 60's I assumed it was a bit pathetic and not particular suited to the S2, but now I am thinking that while it's not exactly original, it's fairly representative. Certainly its useful as it fits easily under the spring plates. I always have to carry bits of plywood in case I actually need to jack it up on grass though, otherwise it just makes a hole in the ground and the vehicle stays where it is.

My handle is very short. It would be kind of nice to have one of those long ones and be able to work it without lying in the mud... maybe I'll try and get one!

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 02:16:47 PM »

... The handle lives with the starting handle, tyre leavers, breaker bar and socket and a torque wrench behind the seats.  Some in clips some not.
Socket set as well.. this is almost getting competitive! I might try and get my little one in there. Its a good idea.. the passenger seat compartment is basically full and I have to juggle things around to get the lid to close. Removing the socket set would make a bit of room!

Bradley66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5351
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 07:23:31 PM »

In my SWB series III there was the starting handle and the long jack rod stored behind the seats in the clips. The wooden cross handle for the jack and the jack itself just rolled around in the seat box locker, I assume they didn't have moulded polystyrene inserts back then....

In my 109" station wagon the starting handle and long jack rod are stored under the middle row seat as it's a ten seat version. The jack and wooden handle lives under the front seat although it could live in the rear wheel arch locker too.
Not sure where the 12 seat station wagons store the starting handle or the jack rod?

I managed to buy a brand new wooden jack handle a while back, not sure if they are still made?

Craig.

(Not my photos, pinched from a Google image search)

Lots of pictures of jacks here

http://www.classic-british-car-jacks.uk/shelley_jacks_2.htm

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 08:35:02 PM »

I've got a couple of wheel braces and the starting handle behind my seats. Along with a long jack handles belonging to a hydraulic jack, also paper towels, a road atlas, oily rag, some paper, and a tool kit in plastic case from a freelander (can never have to many tools) I also carry another tool kit.
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.