S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow tyres?  (Read 6374 times)

Paul4978

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6908
  • .:
Re: Snow tyres?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2020, 07:07:34 AM »

I found General Grabbers pretty good on my Defenders, so have got a set for my S2A.
All I need now is some snow.

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2020, 08:59:29 AM »

I had a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta's on a work Defender some years ago and they were amazing in snow (but someone else paid for them). Think the latest ones are "R3"
Dont really look the part on an S2, but as Davidss says are latest tech and fine tread.
Alternatively, drop your tyre pressures a few pounds :whistle
I bought a set of those on wolf rims just before lockdown started... yet to try them! They are about 20% worn but got then at a good price so I'm happy with them (although I only have 4!)

I run Rangemasters on both motors usually as I do mainly road miles - diabolical in the snow so definitely need something better for when the snow hits. A bit more weight does help keep all the wheels planted on the ground - certainly when empty my 88 has a tendency to light up a test wheel quite easily in slippy conditions or on uneven ground. In contrast the Carawagon feels like s big heavy unstoppable sledge if it starts to slip when descending our lane!

I also have a set of Rud chains which I got for when we took the 88" to the alps for s skiing trip. Again I had my Rangemasters on at the time so the chains were very useful. I daresay with better tyres I wouldn't have needed them at all...

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2020, 10:03:34 AM »

We've got to mount "winter" tires in November and "summer" ones in April. Rural folks use studs. The mail and the bus (same company) use chains. My AT's have always qualified for both summer and winter in the inspection, with the "M+S" designation (which I now know is obviously not the same as a "snow tire").

I'm convinced that the Avon TM's have to go, as cool an accessory as they may be. I've never felt safe in them.

The Italian remould company Ziarelli also offers a Michelin XPC copy (siped, big-block tire) with a soft winter rubber compound in a 6.00R16. Since I like the traditional AT appearance, I'd get these if I could find them locally, but it seems they won't ship them to me from Italy, and the local dealer doesn't stock them.

Their "Kuhmo Ice Power" knockoff called an "MZ3" is available locally in 6.00R16 and seems the better choice if I continue to drive on packed snow/ice. An alternative is an AT and snow chains. Chains just means a bit of extra time. A person driving a Series is not in a hurry !

I do prefer remoulds because they conserve resources, and I'll never go fast enough to worry about tire imbalance.

-J

Nanuq

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7780
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2020, 10:27:33 AM »

I have serious snow tires for both Rovers and they're pretty good.  One has the studs worn down to nothing, and when I try to pull someone out of a ditch, all 4 tires just spin on the hardpack snow.  With the other Rover and good studs on serious snow tires, I put it in 4 low and idling, I can back almost anything out of a ditch.

I have BF Goodrich All-Terrain Tires and they're absolutely horrible on ice and snow.  Like a pig on skates.  I have BF Goodrich MUD Terrain tires on another Rover and they're like magic on snow.  Same manufacturer, different rubber compounds.

I picked up some Cooper All Season tires for the 2A and I couldn't be happier.  Even without studs they stick like a cat on carpet.

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »

Hi Jeremy

I think your biggest problem is the age of the tires, rubber gets hard as it ages. My new Dormobile project came with 4 almost brand new all season tires (but they are 15 years old) I was trying to roll them up the stairs from the basement they would just slip, I had to lift them up. The brand new (this summer) replacement spare tire happily gripped the stairs and went up with little effort.

Victor

1962 Dormobile (in the family since 1964)
1969 Nada Dormobile

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2020, 10:12:04 AM »

I like your reading room, Nanuq! Like a cat on carpet, or on my bedspread on a cold morning.

Though I'd imagine your snow conditions are colder than ours and may not be transferable to here? I really have trouble around -2C to 0C.

I know what you mean, Victor, old hiking boots do the same, even if the sole isn't worn.

Now I wonder if my new summer tires may be better in winter than my Avon TM's?!

This all sounds promising. A siped and fine-tread AT may not be perfect, but could be good enough. I'm waiting (probably until early next week) on an answer about ordering those sticky XPC remoulds, but if they're not, I now think I shouldn't rule out the expensive solutions, as there seems to be a lot to gain by a proper, new tire.

-Jeremy

MrTDiy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 1991
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2020, 10:43:08 AM »

....I love the image of a pig on skates

My ancient xcls are quite old now but in superb condition....with their big blocks they are almost perfect for studding.....or so I would imagine

Researched a German publication called Bild who test tyres each year and bought a set of Michelin for our Volvo XC70 .....horribly expensive but amazing grip.....the only night of snow we have had so far we went out at midnight to try them.....sad but true....anyway first time we have tried a proper winter tyres and suitably impressed

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2020, 04:23:44 AM »

Hi,

Who makes (made?) Town & Country tyres, way back in the 1960s/1970s? The manufacturers promised to pay your recovery costs, if you got stuck (on the road) in a vehicle wearing them.

Does anybody here remember the snow at the beginning of December, 1967? I was still settling into Civvy Street, after 9 years in the RAF. We were living in "holiday flat", Winter rent,  in Pevensey Bay (Eastbourne),  but I had got a job in Croydon (60 odd miles away), and had found a flat in West Croydon, while Barbara was in Eastbourne General Hospital, trying to dislodge our daughter (Sara ... who is now a bank manager in Head Office, Milton Keynes).

So Barbara was in hospital in Eastbourne, and I had moved into the flat in Canterbury Road Road, West Croydon. 

And then it snowed.  The South Coast was cut off for three days.  But my trusty £100 1959 Singer Gazelle convertible got me there and back, every evening. The A22 was empty (but ... er ... interesting). The Ward Sister gave me special dispensation to arrive after visiting hours.

Luckily, the snow had cleared before the two ladies were discharged from hospital.

The Singer was on mundane rubber. 

Remember that virtually any diameter wheel is available to fit Land Rover stud pattern.

Definition of "WIFE". The person whom helps you through all the problems  that you wouldn't have if you hadn't met her.

Plankton

• Chassis welder
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2020, 08:20:49 AM »

I travel for business (pre covid) to the Nordic countries and rent a car on arrival.
All rental cars in the Nordics have winter tyres fitted by law. I have driven many miles on packed snow and ice in small 2 wheel drive cars with winter tyres. They are fine. Those tyres are outstanding. Some have studs but many don’t and they are still very good. The tiny sipes work on the “freeze -thaw” principle. Pressure thaws snow to water which flows then when pressure is released it freezes again. It’s the same as making a snowball.
I have had an Audi Quattro for years with road tyres. It’s useless in snow because of its tyres. Tyres are everything.
One other point. In the Nordic countries it gets proper cold. -25c is routine. When the temp drops below about -5c the snow goes dry and traction is very good. When it’s in the slushy range between about -5 to +5 c there is a lot of liquid water included and this is what makes snow so slippery and the main reason we have trouble with snow and the Nordics don’t.
Tim

Nanuq

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7780
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2020, 09:25:59 AM »

Exactly right, plankton.  The only time studs are any use at all is when we've had a chinook and the snow melted and froze again on the road.  This leaves a layer of hard ice everywhere.  On those days I can't even get from my garage to the road without putting crampons on my boots.  Those days, the studs on my tires make "impossible" driving into "spooky" driving.  Without studs there is absolutely no way not to go in the ditch.  With studs, you have a little steering and a little braking.  Just a little.  Use them wisely.

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2020, 02:45:41 PM »

So I've ended up with 4 new Michelin XPC copies but in soft 3PMSF rubber with the Alpine symbol. They're siped and chunky. Compared to an original, undriven XPC I have as the Dormobile spare, they're very soft, indeed. That one might be a tad old, though ...

I think they'll work well. Maybe this week there'll be opportunity to try them out.

They're stamped 6.00 R 16 when in fact it's obvious that they're 205's -- very wide! So much for my "tall and skinny" tire aesthetics!

Money can buy anything in Switzerland, but I've got my limits on how much time and cash I'm willing to spend to track down in a 6.00R16 3PMSF-spec tire.

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2021, 10:04:27 AM »

Well, this is sorted ... get yourself some winter tires!

I tested them on the local hill yesterday, it's like a new car!

On the problematic fresh snow-over-old-ice at the freezing point, it was like being on dry asphalt. Braking, starting off, cornering. The grip was tolerant of (intentional) snow driving mistakes that would have spun me or gotten me stuck on the old Traction Mileages.

I'm sorry I maligned Series in the snow -- I just hadn't used the correct tires!

The only thing is that the 205's are wide enough to hit the road spring, so I have to adjust the steering stops.
Jeremy

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2021, 10:14:31 AM »

I have been a convert to winter/all season tyres since a winter trip to Finland in ‘99.

Have you got a link to the ones you settled for?
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2021, 10:26:50 AM »

Yes, I agree Jeremy   :tiphat

Although we don't get a lot of snow in England these days, the rubber compound in winter tyres is designed to work at lower temperatures (7C, I think) so even on roads which aren't icy, snowy or wet they should grip better than summer tyres at low temperatures.

I fit winter tyres to both our euroboxes, and my daughter's little C1 - she works at a place where if it snows anywhere around here, it will be there! (Flockton, near Emley Moor).

She reported back on Tuesday (when we had a couple of inches of snow), that she had to overtake several cars and a lorry which were stuck on a hill spinning their wheels - just drove slowly past with no drama   :cheers

It's worth the ££ for another set of tyres and the hassle of swapping tyres (I have a tyre changing machine  :neener) just to keep her safe, in my opinion   :tiphat

Robin.
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2021, 10:57:56 AM »

I ran two sets of wheels and tyres on our Octavia VRs until the Bridgestone summer tyres it came fitted with needed replacement, and swapped them around as necessary. It now runs Michelin Crossclimate all-seasons year-round and they have been great.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 19 queries.