S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jump starting with battery power packs ?  (Read 3569 times)

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
Re: Jump starting with battery power packs ?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2021, 08:20:45 AM »

Does anybody have a picture of suitable jack plugs and sockets?

The jack plugs seems a much safer idea than big crocodile clips.

Perhaps you could use these ???
auction: #142028354577

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 08:47:49 AM »

Yes! - Anderson Connectors are the industry standard. I think in reality the connector colour should reflect the max delivery current, but installers do seem to mix them up. Work well for breakdown vehicles, emergency services, removable winch connections etc. A bit of a faff for a one off jump start requirement probably. Usually the biggest problem with a jump start - especially on series vehicle is using the negative battery pole as a good earth. Its better to go straight to the engine block if at all possible (negative earth vehicles of course!). Forget the cheap jump leads - most won't start a Hornby trainset in this weather and certainly not a diesel 2.25 engine! Welding cables and heavy duty crock clips are my favoured solution and usually the cheapest. You have the advantage of welding cable being more flexible as well.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2021, 05:37:40 PM »

Hi,

Reference Negative Earth ... with Series Land Rovers, now, they could be either.  :o

On my projects. I always chose to go Neg Earth ... it being sort of necessary, cos I always fitted an alternator.

As for earthing cables, i never refitted the "secret" Earth cable between the gearbox and chassis.

Instead, I always connected the engine to the battery tray support strut using flat braided cable and 5/16" or M8 nuts and bolts AND similar cable, between the same nut and bolt on the battery tray, and the clamp bolt on the battery clamp.

I would not use battery cables that were soldered into the battery clamp ... I met several in the RAF that had "dry" joints ... they tended to get hot, and even smoke.

It is now possible to buy battery clamps that have an extra stud (1/4"dia?). While I would still use the clamp bolt to hold the starter cables to the clamp, I used the extra stud for all the "light duty" wiring. Perhaps Alan can post a picture of a n "extra studded " clamp.

If you still have cast battery clamp, using a self-tapping screw to hold it onto the battery post, or, a battery clamp that has two 1/4" dia bolts that clamp onto the cable, change them ASAP ... before they become malevolent.

When stripping an old vehicle, I always save the battery cables ... there have been times that I was glad I had.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2021, 06:18:24 PM »

With the batteries on both my "running" Landrovers being less accessible than usual - the Lightweight with its battery in the box between the seats and the 90 with its battery under a hefty Volvo seat that needs to come out if access is needed, the thought of having an Anderson connector in a suitable location and a jump lead to suit in both strikes me as sensible.

....and yes, the average car jump-lead  sold by the usual suspects is a pretty feeble affair.

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 08:54:02 AM »

With the batteries on both my "running" Landrovers being less accessible than usual - the Lightweight with its battery in the box between the seats and the 90 with its battery under a hefty Volvo seat that needs to come out if access is needed, the thought of having an Anderson connector in a suitable location and a jump lead to suit in both strikes me as sensible.

....and yes, the average car jump-lead  sold by the usual suspects is a pretty feeble affair.
This seat option sounds very comfortable
What model of Volvo did the seat come from?
Do you have a picture?
Did you have to mod the rear bulkhead to give more driver space?
Sorry to go OT

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 01:06:14 PM »

This seat option sounds very comfortable
What model of Volvo did the seat come from?
Do you have a picture?
Did you have to mod the rear bulkhead to give more driver space?
Sorry to go OT

I think they are from a V70. The only real change needed was to move one of the rails out a bit, nearer to the edge of the seatbox. No change to the bulkhead. Pic are from the rebuild, 11 years ago now...

A decent upgrade for, I think £25 :-)

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 11:19:30 AM »

^^^^ I like those seats :first
but back on topic-
Just had a email of some offers, this looks like a cheap jump starter pack but is it a good one :stars

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/masterpro-power-pack-jump-starter-538775591

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2021, 11:58:46 AM »

Back to the Volvo seats, I think these are pictured in a Defender? and the seat bases seem to make them high. In a series would the steering wheel be on top of your legs :shakeinghead
but perhaps with the bases removed and the seat base mounted on the seat box without adjustment it might work for me :bright-idea

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2021, 12:20:08 PM »

Back to the Volvo seats, I think these are pictured in a Defender? and the seat bases seem to make them high. In a series would the steering wheel be on top of your legs :shakeinghead
but perhaps with the bases removed and the seat base mounted on the seat box without adjustment it might work for me :bright-idea
I used to have a 2A 88 fitted with seats from a Volvo 360. Fitted beautifully and were really comfortable. They were also leather and heated...!

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2021, 01:52:05 PM »

I used to have a 2A 88 fitted with seats from a Volvo 360. Fitted beautifully and were really comfortable. They were also leather and heated...!
I've seen 360 seats fitted and as you say they are good but very hard to find as not many 360's about now :shakeinghead

Growler

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6625
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2021, 01:18:59 AM »

I've used one of these jump starter packs for the last three years and it has never failed to start Land Rovers , London type taxis and several different makes of cars. As has been said before, they won't work if there is absolutely nothing left in the battery.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.