S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modern cars with anti collision tech.  (Read 4236 times)

MWAD7

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5597
  • .:
Re: Modern cars with anti collision tech.
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2021, 01:41:03 PM »

One thing I have found some modern  cars don't like, is trying to brake and accelerate at the same time

I don’t tend to left-foot brake road cars but use overlap extensively in the sim racing environment and have used it in certain situations on the road in my Caterham and Westfield kit-cars. Used with care, it can help tighten the line mid corner through weight transfer. I don’t have a problem modulating the braking with the left foot, but you do need to have a plan if a gear change becomes necessary!

Received wisdom is that (some?) VW-family vehicles really don’t (or didn’t) like brake/throttle overlap and would go into a limp-home mode if you tried it as they assume something is wrong...

gilbo

• Master of the oils
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2021, 01:54:51 PM »

So here's the thing.
Apart from all this 'tech' supposedly making things safer - but by the sound of it scaring the living daylight out of some - I assume there is the abilty it to turn it all off (probably not in one hit though?)?
So - again one assumes that somewhere within the plethora of ECUs/computers in this modern vehicle which is/are able to note the settings and are readable - what do/will your insurer make of it if you have a shunt and the 'safety' feature(s) have been disabled?
As you can tell our modern car which is now 8 years old fortunately has none of this. Thank goodness I am still able to stay alert enough not to wander across lanes, get too close to the car in front, gauge my distance from hedges etc otherwise there would be no telling of what might happen  :agh

oddjob

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 2153
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2021, 02:31:58 PM »

My 10 year old van cuts the throttle if you touch the brake. I nearly went through the windscreen once when I gently left foot braked to see if it would cure a squeaky brake.  It also went nuts when I was coming down a long downhill on a motorway and took it out of gear to coast down. Lots of dash warning lights were flashing and it said to check engine. Had to pull over to turn it off and on again.

My boy, when he was little, used like it when we would turn the land rover engine off and coast down long empty hills. He called it Stealth Mode.  :Tdi:-X
We’re all here because we’re not all there.

Daisythelandy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5411
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2021, 03:30:49 PM »

My new SEAT Ateca has all these fancy things and I've not had any problems with unnecessary brake applications or the car seeing ghosts in the road, I do keep the front senser clean though and set for 'medium' as recommended on the SEAT forum. I regard myself as a safe calm driver and only once has the 'tech' had to save me. Doing about 25mph on an urban road the other half asked if I needed diesel and I looked down at the fuel gauge just as the clown in the white van decided he was turning sharp left with no warning, the Ateca sensed this idiot and made a full brake application with the accompanying flashing dash warning and bleepings, I didn't have to do anything! Fortunately no-one was behind to run into us. So the fancy tech does work but, I've driven for over forty years without it and never ran into the back of someone although maybe the standard of driving these days is so bad that the insurance companies welcome all these 'driver aids'.  :RHD

Dave.
Dave and Daisy the 66 Landie.
Over 30 years of ownership and still smiling..

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2021, 04:08:38 PM »

I remember my the ABS on my Citroen BX DTR Turbo estate nearly making me hit a car door that was opened immediately in front of me when I was travelling at 5 or 10MPH and expected the thing to more or less stop dead with a chirp from the tyres - and much the same thing with a cat that shot out into the road.  It was also fun in snow when it wouldn't allow a wall of snow to build up in front of the tyres and made the car carry on.

I've got it on my current Focus 1.8 estate - and although its apparently working I've never noticed it in action.

Uffddd

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6828
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2021, 04:19:55 PM »

One thing I have found some modern  cars don't like, is trying to brake and accelerate at the same time .

One thing I have done a couple of times on first hopping into an automatic is try left foot braking. No intentionally, I just subconsciously felt my left foot should be doing something so it automatically went for the brake. The result tends to be a very juddery experience in the carpark until I snap out of it and use the stop and go pedals as intended. I'd always the cars reluctance to have both pedals used at once was due to a lack of finesse in a lead left foot too used to operating a clutch but I might have to experiment a bit more next time I rent...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.