S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 200 tdi exhaust  (Read 2615 times)

Old80

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5817
  • .:
200 tdi exhaust
« on: January 12, 2021, 03:22:01 PM »

Hi All
A question for those of you (if any) with a 200 tdi in a 109” S2a.
Earlier this year I had the above engine installed in my 109”, at the time of fitting it was installed with a cobbled together short exhaust which this afternoon broke in half just behind the silencer.
So my question....is it possible to buy a full exhaust “off the shelf” or will I have to get one made as it is not a stock vehicle? On the upside I didn’t like the look of short exhaust exiting from beneath the passenger door so I now have the chance to replace it with a full stainless steel system when I can Locate a supplier.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
Re: 200 tdi exhaust
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 03:27:26 PM »

I tend to buy a 6 pot exhaust and a down pipe and cobble them together with flexi pipe

The 6 pot is the right diam give or take a few mm  Lots cheaper than s steve parker system
"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre

Steifbear

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6831
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 03:31:47 PM »

I second what Alex says about the 6 Cylinder set up, this is what I have fitted to my 109 200tdi with a 300tdi manifold.

I would also caution as to the quality and the customer services provided by Steve Parker. Both have been found to be lacking.

Pete With-a-V
CliVE - 1965 - LWB - Series 2A - 200tdi - LT77 - P4x4 - PopTop - Camper.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 03:43:06 PM »

I quite liked the side exiting exhaust I had on mine ....

Good at Lycra cyclists at bay.

But I always hankered after a straight through the PTO hole in the rear cross member  :first

Doesn't show will in the pic, but the tail pipe was chrome tube and stuck out a few inches.
Just behind that was the small box from the Disco donor all connected up with...
I used corrugated flexi exhaust tube, but I double skinned (sleeved) it, 2" diameter inside 2¼" to give the inner pipe protection from the elements. Cheap, at the time a 2m length of pipe was £18.

:Tdi
Who's a then ?

Noddy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3118
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 03:48:40 PM »

As with any vehicle which is a keeper a stainless has to be considered even on a low annual mileage.

Alec

Sheppy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 04:40:42 PM »

I took mine to longlife exhausts, they fitted a stainless one with lifetime warranty for £450

stuart

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5066
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 04:45:08 PM »

i got a steve parker on mine , went on nice and easy

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 05:24:08 PM »

I have a Parker on mine, not stainless, I had to rebend the downpipe to get it to fit. :thud

Ray Clayton

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7124
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 05:27:46 PM »

Hi

My 109 tdi has a 2.6 exhaust system fitted.

:cheers
Cheers

Ray

1962 Series 2a 109
Discovery 4

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 05:55:06 PM »

I have had one of Steve Parker’s systems on my 109” since I completed the conversion in 2007.

My setup has Defender 200tdi manifolds, and Parker’s had a kit that bolted pretty much straight on.

It comprised of a bespoke header and intermediate pipe, and then went into a standard 109” V8 silencer/tailpipe.

It was easy enough to fit, and saved me a load of mucking about at the time when I had pretty much had my fill of mucking about getting the engine in and running. I found that the rear silencers seem to last four years or so, I’m on my third replacement (so four in total), but they’re cheap as chips, easy to get and simple enough to change.

Would I buy another? Probably not. It follows the route of a Series 3 diesel, which is convoluted and tight enough with a standard system, and getting the bigger bore pipe in without it rattling on something along the way is challenging. Also, it relies on an oversize version of Land-Rover’s standard exhaust hangers, which are a bit pants at the best of times and don’t really like the extra weight and vibration. After 13 years of service, the intermediate pipe had holed where it had a clamp around it, which I didn’t think was too bad, but I made the decision last year to patch and refit it rather than get a new one the same. Hopefully, when restrictions lift, I am going to have a complete stainless system made to fit, with decent V-band couplings, proper hangers, and maybe a less torturous route.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

Old80

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5817
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 08:08:17 PM »

Hi All
Many thanks for the helpful advice.
Am now thinking of going down the 6 pot route if I can source one in stainless. Although good to know Steve Parker is doing them “off the peg” should I need to follow that route.
As a footnote I thought I would sing the praises of the LWB after owning a few SWB Landrovers over many years on and off, apart from the awful turning circle of the LWB the extra room both in the loadspace area and the cab are just fabulous. I now wish I had got one years ago and there is always a power steering kit option when funds permit to help with that double decker bus turning circle!
Thanks again.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 08:21:15 AM »

On my 88" TDI I usd a Steve Parker section- https://www.steveparkers.com/product/spex121-front-exhaust-pipe-200tdi-disco-conversion-to-lr-series/
and the rest was made up from the scrap pile by a skilled welder, not me :stars

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 09:55:23 AM »

I've got a full Steve Parker system in my 88 with 200tdi, now stainless from front to back. The standard steel systems are very pricey considering in my experience they didn't last long. I struggled to get 4 years out of each of my two systems. The first was on the vehicle when I got it, and I bought a replacement when the silencer fell off into the road... The replacement also fell to bits, first bit being the tailpipe again but then the downpipe turned into lace. Hence in the end I forked out for the stainless one in the hope it should last. So far so good, been on two years or so and still looks great (but now the hangers periodically fall off instead)

Would I buy another? Only a stainless one. For a vehicle used regularly it would be false economy to buy the standard steel ones in my opinion - they just didn't last. Many of the home brew systems people fit are far too loud for my liking. A Tdi is hardly music to the ears and I don't want to hear turbo whistle all the time... The Parker system is nice and quiet, decent bore as well.

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 10:58:12 AM »

Something else to bear in mind with Parker’s 109” system is that it’s designed to fit a Series 3 with the outlet at the rear by the passenger wheel, and goes through holes in the chassis crossmember that aren’t present on a Series 2. If you want your system to follow the earlier route across the back behind the axle and out behind the driver’s rear wheel, then it’s not going to be any good for you.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 19 queries.