S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Premium Petrol and E10  (Read 16618 times)

Devon2a

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6996
  • .:
  • Just Leafing and Lurking
Re: Premium Petrol and E10
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2021, 05:49:00 PM »

Is this E10 striking again?

Unlikely as you come from Devon, The likely hood is that it is just down to poor quality rubber used to day. I've a 4 stroke water pump and even after being drained and stored empty over the winter that has just had to have new fuel lines after they just fell to bits.

Unless you are getting supermarket with a tankerload from up the line, the two Plymouth Fuel terminals are still running an E5 blend and even they are unsure as to when next week when it will switch to up to 10% bio Ethanol.  ???

Talking to my fuel supplier it isn't as smooth a transition as we might believe.  :thud
Dirt Sprung Leaf Technique

Owner of

Jemima 1971 SIIA SWB Searle Safari
??????? 2014 110 USW

Can be found in YT, FB and Insta @4WDSouthWest

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2021, 01:58:40 PM »

Is there a up to date web site showing where the E5 pumps are, it seems in some areas you can only get E10 (as marked on the pumps) ???
I've just returned from the S1 club Talyllyn event and the hearest E5 pump was 1/2 hour away!

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2021, 03:00:54 PM »

Is there a up to date web site showing where the E5 pumps are, it seems in some areas you can only get E10 (as marked on the pumps) ???
I've just returned from the S1 club Talyllyn event and the hearest E5 pump was 1/2 hour away!

The esso garage in Pwllheli has it. (Nefyn Road) also Gwalia Shell Caeathro.
Esso are still saying there is no ethanol in the super in certain parts of UK, but I see this is now not the case in North Wales. My garden equipment wont be happy :shakeinghead >:D
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2021, 04:11:15 PM »

Just read this :coffee

Asda won't sell any E5 petrol at any of its 320 forecourts in the UK. Tesco will offer E5 petrol at around 90% of its 600 garages, meaning there will be approximately 60 sites that do not offer the fuel. Sainsbury's also said that most of its more than 300 sites will continue to sell E5.

but for how long ???

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2021, 04:17:47 PM »

on the Goverment website-

Land Rover

E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Land Rover vehicles with petrol engines starting from model year 1996.Older vehicles should continue to use E5
 :tiphat

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2021, 04:34:54 PM »

Is there a up to date web site showing where the E5 pumps are, it seems in some areas you can only get E10?

Which takes us back to my original post on August 14th.  I was noticing then, a shortage of Premium Fuel at several of my usual fill-up spots.   

I'm still not clear in my mind whether this is a foretaste of what happened to leaded petrol, or due to shortage of Tanker drivers, or due to a shortage of Premium Fuel due to refinery "pinging" issues, or Brexit, or a combination of the lot.

As I don't do too many miles, I haven't had to fill up again yet, so I'll see where we are when I do.......

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2021, 04:50:00 PM »

I've just returned from the S1 club Talyllyn event and then nearest E5 pump was 1/2 hour away!
just checked 22 miles from the B&B to a E5 pump 22 miles a 44 mile round trip:thud

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2021, 04:53:14 PM »

^^^^My nearest pump of any description is 8 miles, and £1.41 a litre currently. We work on filling up whenever we are in Stirling if possible.
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2021, 05:26:45 PM »

Coming to all petrol stations soon ...

Check here DVLA E10 vehicle checker

PS
I'm really glad my vehicles run on diesel  :RHD

Who's a then ?

Tim4a

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5667
  • .:
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2021, 05:35:51 PM »

Having 2 classic cars, a Triumph TR4a and a Series 2a Land Rover and after reading various articles in the press written by so called authoritative organisations namely the RAC and AA,  which stated more or less that you were going to destroy your vehicles if you used E10 fuel, I wanted to find out as much information as possible about E10 fuel and classic cars.

At first, in the popular motoring press, I found mostly regurgitated information from the motoring organisations giving the same dire warnings. Then I found a book called "Classic Engines, Modern Fuel" By Paul Ireland. He carried out extensive research at Manchester University on classic car engines running on modern fuel including E10. I won't go into too much detail but suffice to say he provides solutions to many engine problems classic car owners have. Briefly, what he does say is that there is no problem with using E10 fuel. Your carb may need slight adjustment and over time it may dissolves the plasticisers in rubber and plastic components but this is easily solved by replacing them with ethanol tolerant parts. The greatest threat of using E10 petrol is caused by water getting into the fuel system either by absorption from the air or ingress through leaky filler caps. Ethanol makes the water significantly more corrosive this in turn attacks the metal components of the fuel system. With care precautions can be taken to reduce this risk.

I do use super unleaded in my TR but that is because it has a high compression engine and was originally designed to run on 5 star. My Land Rover will continue to run on 95RON unleaded now with 10% ethanol. If I lay it up over winter I will leave only a small amount of petrol in the tank and fill it with fresh in the spring.

I am not an expert but I was annoyed by all the 'Fake News' I was reading. Hopefully this will help clear up the confusion.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2021, 06:08:41 PM »

I'm really glad my vehicles run on diesel  :RHD

....which is B7 anyway :-) 

Bradley66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5351
  • .:
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2021, 06:11:38 PM »

I read that book April last year.
I have set up my 2.25 petrol using many of his suggestions and currently its running on the E5 just fine . I don`t have any particular concerns about E10. Don`t buy you fuel hose based on price , make sure it complies with SAE J30 R9 spec.

Kernowcam

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2021, 08:28:56 PM »

I have just been running my Vw transporter camper on e10. I am reasonably sure the engine was not as nippy and started to pink in 5th on a slight incline.
Managed to get some posh e5 petrol this weekend and pinking stopped and going like a rocket.
Not so happy with the 20p a litre uplift!

I did wonder with that engine if a tweak to the timing may fix it?

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2021, 08:46:16 PM »

Apart from rubber, Ethanol also eats  carb floats and fibreglass fuel tanks.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2021, 08:46:24 PM »

Have you tried one of the several octane boosters ???

From Halfords et al.

:petrol_pump
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 23 queries.